Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: In-Laws Posting My Childís Photos Online Without My Consent

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Statistically speaking more children are harmed by people that they know , ie , family and friends. You are far far far less likely to be harmed by your average total stranger . Thatís why I donít get this whole stranger danger stuff, when statistics tell you the exact opposite . They should teach kids to be wary of family and friends actually . Those people have more access to your children than anyone else . Plus children are taught to trust these people .
    Yes of course. I think that is straying a bit off topic. Ironically, so far my child has been approached by three strangers inappropriately. He's also never been in daycare and only had a very few sitters a few times so we haven't had those kinds of risks at this point. The stranger situations - two when I was sitting right there, another when I was a number of feet away watching him and she didn't know I was. In each case nothing ended up happening as I intervened in all three situations (maybe 4-5 situations). We have a great safety video made by the guy who did America's Most Wanted that's great for young children and older children to watch.

Look all this stuff has a wide spectrum of reactions and lots of neat (sarcastic) labels like free range parenting/helicopter, etc. I am thrilled my husband and I agreed 100% not to post photos on social media of our son. And that our family and friend were supportive and if they made a mistake it was totally fine and taken down ASAP. The only issue here is that the parents don't agree on the risk/benefit of social media and that's an issue just like it is any time parenting practices differ.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    The thing is too parents who DO post pics are not wrong and are not ď endangering ď their kids. I have my son posted on my private FB. Every single one of my daycare parents have allowed me to post pics of their kids on our private daycare page. All of us good and loving parents.

Platinum Member
    Of course. Not sure why this is part of the conversation even. Of course parents post photos of their kids - that's what they feel like doing for many different reasons or just "because" - not a thing wrong with it and in many cases probably a lot that is right with it.

I do think some photos are inappropriate and shouldnít be posted and I think posting a photo of your childís new outfit with ďwe will be on (name of street) this afternoonĒ if they want to see his cuteness in person is asking for trouble on a public Facebook page - real life example where it was obvious there home would be empty and all would know where her child would be and when. Or posting a photo of your grandchild and her report card showing her student ID and other personal information. And I know of several parents who post specifically to brag and for attention. Well-meaning plus annoying and irritating. Again not even sure where you took from this discussion any sense of parents who post pictures being judged as a broad category - like with everything like this it depends on the individual situation . In fact maybe the OP would choose to do so. She just doesnít want her in-laws to without her permission.

There are always differing opinions on whatís safe. A single mother I know asked on Facebook whether she could leave her sleeping toddler in a hotel room alone so she could attend a business dinner in the hotel restaurant and sheíd have a baby monitor with her. The range of opinions was all over the place. And it reminded me that what I considered obvious certainly was not. I didnít comment on it because like this post itís such a hot button issue. From your post I see that since it triggered a reaction of all parents who post photos being judged.

We allow photos to be posted on private Facebook pages for school and camp and without tagging him by name.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    [Register to see the link]
    Less than 1% of kids are abducted by strangers.

Platinum Member
    [Register to see the link]
    Less than 1% of kids are abducted by strangers.
    Yes. I know those statistics are out there. There are many studies that come out all different ways about strangers, Internet, child safety, formula .v. breastfeeding, sleep training, etc -not sure what the relevance is of posting that. I don't think the OP is concerned about her child being kidnapped in this particular post. In my personal case threats to his safety so far have come from strangers not people we know. Doesn't prove anything either way and nor am I trying to. You seem to be and I'm not quite sure what it has to do with this particular topic of husband and wife disagreeing on a parenting issue having to do with safety (and not having to do with stranger danger related to kidnapping - typically the issues with posting childs' photos publically are not about kidnapping)

I'm really not interested in debating that issue because it seems off topic and it's a topic that comes up fairly often on my Facebook moms group - like with whether to allow a child to have a sleepover, babysitter issues, nanny issues, nanny cam (yes or no), etc.. If you choose to start a thread about it it sounds like it could be very interesting especially to those people who might not hear about it a lot - you seem to have a lot of information on it and be interested in that topic.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    Yes. I know those statistics are out there. There are many studies that come out all different ways about strangers, Internet, child safety, formula .v. breastfeeding, sleep training, etc -not sure what the relevance is of posting that. I don't think the OP is concerned about her child being kidnapped in this particular post. In my personal case threats to his safety so far have come from strangers not people we know. Doesn't prove anything either way and nor am I trying to. You seem to be and I'm not quite sure what it has to do with this particular topic of husband and wife disagreeing on a parenting issue having to do with safety (and not having to do with stranger danger related to kidnapping - typically the issues with posting childs' photos publically are not about kidnapping)
    It was the Opís main point that child safety is why she does not want her childís picture posted . That there are child traffickers .

Platinum Member
    It was the Opís main point that child safety is why she does not want her childís picture posted . That there are child traffickers .
    Really? I saw it as a safety issue too and overarching that issue -the even bigger issue -was that her husband was not supporting her in it and is choosing his parents (again) over her. You have an interesting perspective of course on what the issue is.

I'm really not interested in debating that issue because it seems off topic. If you choose to start a thread about it it sounds like it could be very interesting!
    Because the OPer seems to be attempting to hide control issues shes having with her inlaws and maybe her husband behind 'protecting her child'.

Yes it is. Itís for her protection.

I have been to meeting on human trafficking this past year since I work with children. I got to witness how online predators use technology to target and even TRACK children through social media pictures.

My worry is that I have NO idea who gets ACCESS to my daughterís pictures because they are posted on social media.
    Making the topic of the actual statistics quite relevant.

Really? I saw it as a safety issue too and overarching that issue -the even bigger issue -was that her husband was not supporting her in it and is choosing his parents (again) over her. You have an interesting perspective of course on what the issue is.
    I made a BIG point of their issue, not just this issue perhaps you missed it.

Thread closed per member request.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Give Advice
Ask For Advice