Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Relentless Diarrhea but starving...

So I managed to ask my rents before they left but I've not had a bowel movement since almost 5 hours ago and I had to drink and eat something. My rents were understanding and said they'd go to the GP but they won't be back till a few hours so Im considering calling the emergency NHS line if that works..a friend of mine who had a REAL bad stomach virus called them and even they said "if it continues after 24 hours thats when you should worry. Let it run its course.." he was literally crying, it was awful.
    What I DO have now though is bad fatigue and a headache starting - I assume this is not gonna go anywhere without any water ? I also felt hunger sick so I had another cracker and thats settled me for now..I want to take Nurofen which is like Ibuprofem but not sure if the heartburn it causes will make my stomach worse.

Rant over, sorry folks. I tend to go to the doc a lot when the littlest thing is up so I guess I don't wanna seem like an idiot. Thanks for taking your time to help...also don't know if I should eat dinner in a few hours..

Platinum Member
    It sounds like food poisoning. I have had many times. No big deal.

Take an anti diarrheal and drink Gatorade and water. Bananas are good, too. Eat bland food.

It should be gone in 24 hours or you feel like you will faint, then get to a doctor. If it goes to two days see a doctor.

You really need to chill out.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Snny
    Ok, you do understand that there have been people who have caught the flu (or something similar) and some who have died every year because they refused to seek proper medical treatment in a timely manner, right? And it is flu season.

You may not have the flu, but why take that risk? If something is severely wrong, you go to a doctor/urgent care/the ER. Period. End of discussion.
    It has only been 12 hours.

First of all, especially if you've got a viral infection causing this, "starving a bug" is 600 year old bad medical wisdom. If your body is telling you to eat, you most likely should be. Second, you're ****ing out water and electrolytes your body needs, so I certainly hope you're keeping hydrated.

I'm pretty reserved as far as amateur online diagnoses go, but any prolonged change in bowel behavior should be taken very seriously. Not saying you need to be calling EMS this minute, but pay attention.

Platinum Member
    You can call 111 you know and just talk it over with them .

if you can dry it up with imodium get your family to get you some dioralyte to give you back the stuff j is talking about .

I'd take Pippy's advice and call 111.

I called the Australian version of 111 and spoke to a nurse when I had bad food poisoning. I was pretty much told that unless my symptoms continued for 3 days/I wasn't able to keep fluids down/I noticed blood in my stool/had a fever, that I just needed to maintain fluids and electrolyte intake and it should resolve itself in a day or two.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    Every holiday I have ever been on I have managed to get a bowel bug , hospitalised once it was so bad ...I brought one bug back with me ...nice ....
    What the hell are you eating? LOL!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    What the hell are you eating? LOL!
    I know lol ... every time .... the one I got hospitalised for was actually an all inclusive so I was eating at the buffet ...I need to be called sh1tty longstocking lolol ( no one else there got it by the way ...just me )

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    I know lol ... every time .... the one I got hospitalised for was actually an all inclusive so I was eating at the buffet ...I need to be called sh1tty long stocking lolol ( no one else there got it by the way ...just me )

Good lord! Stay out of that buffet! Are you going to make that your moniker? LOL

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Good lord! Stay out of that buffet! Are you going to make that your moniker? LOL
    hahah can you imagine .....*name please

* sh1tty longstocking thankyou ...ahhh lolol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice