Relentless Diarrhea but starving...

I woke up almost 12 hours ago in a dead sleep needing to use the bathroom. To my surprise, it was explosive .. but....my stomach didn't feel effected except for mild cramps. I went into a spiral of a small panic attack as I am emetophobic and due to the fact that I didn't get this in about a year, I was up all night on edge if I need to go again. I slept a little and went again 5 hours later. After that, I went around 5 times in the next hour...tmi but it was watery, gross and generally as if something needed to get out. But still...I have no temperature or any other stomach sensation. I haven't eaten properly since two days ago as I had zero appetite yesterday and I just smelled the food coming from downstairs and my stomach is rumbling insanely.. as if I need to eat. But surely I should starve a bug? I felt mildly fluish yesterday, headache..aching...fatigue from hell and I have weird cramps in my ab-area.

Am I sick? I don't know if I should get into bed as I don't feel like Im necessarily unwell...

The only reason Im not going to a doc yet is because I had something similar to this this last time last year..it ALWAYS gets me in my stomach and lasts from 1-3 days.... its just cos its been an entire year, I'm all tense .. plus its only been there for under 12 hours thus far... also no, no antibiotics or any medication except for one little Imodium which has kept me from going for the past 1 1/2 hrs

Either way, you need to see a doctor. The main reason being is that with this kind of diarrhea, you will get dehydrated very quickly.

Dehydration can be dangerous.

You might be drinking lots but if you're having it all come out of you, then it can't do much good.

I hope you will see a doctor today. This can be a serious thing, so I hope you take note.

Are you UK ? Because you can go to any pharmacy , ask to speak to the pharmacist , all have private rooms and tell him/her what is going on , they wil either suggest a treatment or suggest you get to your GP .

Oh and stay away from milk ..ohh makes me shudder ...milk feeds a bowel bug .

Im in the UK yeah :) but too scared to go out as before I was going every 2 hours...my family are all going out so maybe they can get something..I don't see them giving me anything though as they'll say wait it out

Im in the UK yeah :) but too scared to go out as before I was going every 2 hours...my family are all going out so maybe they can get something..I don't see them giving me anything though as they'll say wait it out

well there are some horrible viruses going about ...myself and my daughter have been ill ...not with that , but that is going around ...so it is worth your family asking at the pharmacist ... just because he might have seen another 20 already and be able to settle your mind ..or he will tell them to tell you to get to the gp ...

I hear that about not wanting to be to far away from a loo .

Best thing to do is go to a clinic. All I did was drink Gatorade 🥤for a couple days and stay away from spicy food (that's a feat in Mexico🌮). But if you're not in Mexico it's doubtful your problem.

Im too scared to google that...were you able to eat with it? Ive managed some crackers
The only reason Im not going to a doc yet is because I had something similar to this this last time last year..it ALWAYS gets me in my stomach and lasts from 1-3 days.... its just cos its been an entire year, I'm all tense .. plus its only been there for under 12 hours thus far... also no, no antibiotics or any medication except for one little Imodium which has kept me from going for the past 1 1/2 hrs

Ok, you do understand that there have been people who have caught the flu (or something similar) and some who have died every year because they refused to seek proper medical treatment in a timely manner, right? And it is flu season.

You may not have the flu, but why take that risk? If something is severely wrong, you go to a doctor/urgent care/the ER. Period. End of discussion.

Dehydration can be dangerous.

Which is the leading cause of death of people with flu-like symptoms.

Last year I had to go to the ER several times while I was pregnant due to excessive vomiting and severe dehydration. I had my own mother tell me to “tough it out and go to work” because it was “just morning sickness.” She was seriously dead wrong that by the time I got to my OBGYN office, I had blacked out on the floor and had to be immediately wheeled in to the ER with IVs. Craziest experience ever.

Dehydration is no f’ing joke. It will kill you.

So I managed to ask my rents before they left but I've not had a bowel movement since almost 5 hours ago and I had to drink and eat something. My rents were understanding and said they'd go to the GP but they won't be back till a few hours so Im considering calling the emergency NHS line if that works..a friend of mine who had a REAL bad stomach virus called them and even they said "if it continues after 24 hours thats when you should worry. Let it run its course.." he was literally crying, it was awful.

What I DO have now though is bad fatigue and a headache starting - I assume this is not gonna go anywhere without any water ? I also felt hunger sick so I had another cracker and thats settled me for now..I want to take Nurofen which is like Ibuprofem but not sure if the heartburn it causes will make my stomach worse.

Rant over, sorry folks. I tend to go to the doc a lot when the littlest thing is up so I guess I don't wanna seem like an idiot. Thanks for taking your time to help...also don't know if I should eat dinner in a few hours..

It sounds like food poisoning. I have had many times. No big deal.

Take an anti diarrheal and drink Gatorade and water. Bananas are good, too. Eat bland food.

It should be gone in 24 hours or you feel like you will faint, then get to a doctor. If it goes to two days see a doctor.

You really need to chill out.

Ok, you do understand that there have been people who have caught the flu (or something similar) and some who have died every year because they refused to seek proper medical treatment in a timely manner, right? And it is flu season.

You may not have the flu, but why take that risk? If something is severely wrong, you go to a doctor/urgent care/the ER. Period. End of discussion.

It has only been 12 hours.

First of all, especially if you've got a viral infection causing this, "starving a bug" is 600 year old bad medical wisdom. If your body is telling you to eat, you most likely should be. Second, you're ****ing out water and electrolytes your body needs, so I certainly hope you're keeping hydrated.

I'm pretty reserved as far as amateur online diagnoses go, but any prolonged change in bowel behavior should be taken very seriously. Not saying you need to be calling EMS this minute, but pay attention.

Archived