How affectionate/loving are you with your cousins? What’s normal?

belladun

One particular cousin and I have always been close. We’ve always been very touchy, hugs etc. For example if we’re laying on the couch, we put our legs up on each other or even play “footsie” he’s in his early 30s and I’m 20s. We still do it.

TLDR - it doesn’t feel weird, I’m happy with this close but curious about other peoples experiences/thoughts.

Hugs, cheek or forehead kisses, being fine sitting against each other, I don't know. I'm the oldest of more than three dozen cousins and have had a hand in taking care of pretty much all of them, so if I really thought about it, there are probably ways I'll tease or mess with them that some might(?) consider flirty if they didn't know there's more of a sibling dynamic that may not be typical, but I can't say I ever lie down with my legs over theirs or play footsie with them. Then again, if I were dating someone still playing footsie in their 20s or 30s, I'd probably find it strange regardless of who it was with.

Regardless of how strange it might be to most of us, it sounds innocuous enough. Even if it weren't, it's none of my business. But I, too, would be curious to know why you're asking. Are you hoping most people don't do this? I don't get the impression you've lived under a rock your whole life and aren't aware this is atypical.

I find footsies with cousins at this age strange, regardless of upbringing or culture.

I wouldn't blink at hugs, kiss on the cheek for greeting or leaving, touchy family dynamics.

Footsie though and sprawled across each other, to me, has a slightly sexual element to it and I would find it crossing lines.

Archived