Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: How to get employer to take mental health seriously

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by bmars87
    I feel this in my soul even though our situations are different.
    I looked at the new schedule when I came back from Christmas on Wednesday.
    I had 2 scheduled shifts.
    I just happened to look at the schedule again for the next week on Friday, which I normally don't do. Normally I look at it once and be done with it.
    Our schedule is all computer generated, and I see that one of the girls had whiteout on her shift and there was a shift written in for me, with part of it being scheduled in the fitting room. That shift doesn't take place until January 8th and my body has already been freaking out about it since looking at the schedule Friday. It's all I can think about. It's making me sick .Now I feel like they're scheduling me there out of spite. But yet if I hadn't looked at the schedule a second time and just showed up for the 2 scheduled shifts, it would have been on me. There was no head's up of like oh by the way I added a shift for you.

But yes absolutely there are things I would rather not discuss with management. Like how when I am up at cash or in the fitting room and internally freaking out and feeling like I am about to crap my pants any second, and throw up on the floor right there and so I call for someone to come for backup for a minute so I can go calm myself in the bathroom and nobody comes, so I call and call and call again and still noone comes and by this point its do or die. That is not something I like to share with management.
    I am sorry.:( I have felt how you describe. I take clonanazepam for anxiety. It is a harder prescription to get because it is a class C med. maybe your doctor would give you a prescription for Xanax for those days that you have to work in the fitting room ?

I definitely need to see him again. When I first went to him, I really did not want to be on drugs and was willing to try anything else but nothing else worked for me and we decided it was best for me to go on drugs because I could not function day to day. Walking down the street was a daunting task. I would be at a stop light waiting to cross and I would get a text from a friend asking if I was okay saying that they saw me at the stop light and I was holding my chest and shaking and looked like I was going to be sick.

The pills worked for a little bit, we then increased my dosage - I was on the max dosage for the pill and then they stopped working because I got use to them, and ever since then the anxiety has slowly gotten worse and worse.

When I first went to him, I asked about getting something just for when I could feel an attack coming on. He said no, that I needed more of a preventative or whatever they call it. But my cousin was telling me she is prescribed something, I think its called lexapro. Her husband was diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer and she has 2 young children to take care of as well as a stressful job, and she only ever takes it if she is in full blown anxiety attack, and she said once she takes it she feels 100 times better in like less than half an hour. One of the other reasons he prescribed me what he did was because I do not have benefits at work, and have to pay out of pocket for prescriptions which can be very costly. So he gave me a generic brand.

I have tried gravol once when I was going on a 4 hour drive. I tried to tucker myself out during the day and then took 2 gravol and basically passed out the entire way, thank god.

It's actually once of the things I'm stressed about right now because in January I'm suppose to take an hour long ride there and hour long ride back for a cancer benefit for my cousin's husband. My entire family is expected to be there, I want to go. I just keep thinking about the car ride and how I feel like I won't make it without getting sick.

I don't know what brought this on. I use to love being in the car. I could be in the car for hours,go on adventures and roadtrips, but these day its a definite nope.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Ok, I would suggest talking to your doctor about what OHIP covers in terms of some counselling because I know they pay for something . I had some counselling sessions when my son died in utero . I would start there. But I would ask about different medications as well .

If you are under 25 you may be able to get your prescriptions for free .

So sorry to hear about your son 💞
    I will ask again about different meds. I am over the age of 25 so unfortunately I don't qualify to get em covered.

Originally Posted by bmars87
    So sorry to hear about your son 💞
    I will ask again about different meds. I am over the age of 25 so unfortunately I don't qualify to get em covered.
    I am sorry about that.:(

Maybe look up ODSP until you can get your mental health in control? Being on disability temporarily might help. You would at least get meds and might be able to get some counseling.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice