Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get employer to take mental health seriously

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Also people have no idea why someone could have anxiety or claustrophobia. I have anxiety and panic disorder and PTSD from severe childhood sexual abuse. I have severe claustrophobia from the time I can ever remember made 1000 times worse when I was raped in a bathroom at 13. So imagine someone smashing your head into a floor and wall until you are unconscious and raping you and then tell me to ď get over ď my PTSD and panic disorder and fear of enclosed spaces. Or wake up to someone choking you and shoving their dYck in your mouth as a kid. But eff man take a pill and get over it.

We donít know what people have suffered in life. A little sympathy goes along way .
    Hugs vic xxxxxxxxxxx

Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    I see both sides too .... probably because of the situations I have been in , which is why op must get medical support on all of it .

There is seeing both sides and there is saying ridiculous stuff like this

I mean ...come on ..
    I totally understand what you are saying with that.

I won't lie though and say I didn't cringe reading OPs post. She got mad at her boss for keeping another girl on due to short staff. She was thinking of herself and getting a ride. No mention of just hey I'll stay and work too, obviously it's needed. No, oh that sucks, but it's not my boss nor coworkers responsibility to provide me with rides. She has this list of things she won't do ( all the poop work, and she can't work independently either) but expects the world from these people. Her boss is already going beyond with her. And she won't get a writ from the doc.

I find it a bit insulting really. I didn't, don't, have that attitude with work. I worked twice as hard to give if I couldn't do x y z . I never wanted to give people a reason to think my mental health issues would make me anything less than a fully competent team member and/or boss.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    I totally understand what you are saying with that.

I won't lie though and say I didn't cringe reading OPs post. She got mad at her boss for keeping another girl on due to short staff. She was thinking of herself and getting a ride. No mention of just hey I'll stay and work too, obviously it's needed. No, oh that sucks, but it's not my boss nor coworkers responsibility to provide me with rides. She has this list of things she won't do ( all the poop work, and she can't work independently either) but expects the world from these people. Her boss is already going beyond with her. And she won't get a writ from the doc.

I find it a bit insulting really. I didn't, don't, have that attitude with work. I worked twice as hard to give if I couldn't do x y z . I never wanted to give people a reason to think my mental health issues would make me anything less than a fully competent team member and/or boss.
    I do see what you saying grandy ...I kick off about MH issues , but that is if they are not being respected or treat right /spoken about . But yeah the op does need to meet her boss halfway and provide that doctors note ...I was hoping she would have come back and and maybe have a chat with us ..I am happy to openly speak about my mental health , as sherry and vic and others have . Someone pointed out to me earlier as well , that my advice regarding CAB is of no use if she is American ..we could have maybe guided her a bit more . Love to you grandy x

All in all , what this thread has shown op if you are reading , you are not alone , many of us have MH issues and that doctors letter is very very important .. your boss needs to have someting to work with . Please take the advice with kindness that is meant from people who are trying to say it but not hurt you x

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Yes, one does need to try and get documentation. It is hard sometimes to work with some health professionals because they dismiss you . I have never asked for documentation but I have never asked for concessions. I have had to go the bathroom to get myself together before.

I have quit jobs due to anxiety including my last one but created my own business.

The only point I will make is, I hope everyone reading or replying to this post, will take time time to have some empathy. Consider how difficult it is to live like this.
    Realize that sweeping people with mental illness under the rug because they're too difficult to deal with, is NOT the answer.

The human brain is only another part of the human body. It can have parts in it that doesn't work right starting from birth.

That doesn't make that person any less worthy or less important. That doesn't mean it's okay to tell them to go home and stay home because they're too difficult.

Mental illness is NOT a choice and no one would ever choose to live like this.

It's also why there are thousands of suicides a year. It's not only due to the suffering from these conditions but the intolerance from society.

Should our society adapt? Why not? We adapt for those who are disabled. We accept them and adapt, such as having disabled parking. Swings in parks for disabled children who are in wheelchairs so the swing will accommodate their wheelchair. We can see they struggle and try to work with them in order for them to fit into our society.
    That's a good thing and how it should be!!!!

So please, be respectful, be careful on your response and have some empathy and kindness.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by SherrySher
    The only point I will make is, I hope everyone reading or replying to this post, will take time time to have some empathy. Consider how difficult it is to live like this.
    Realize that sweeping people with mental illness under the rug because they're too difficult to deal with, is NOT the answer.

The human brain is only another part of the human body. It can have parts in it that doesn't work right starting from birth.

That doesn't make that person any less worthy or less important. That doesn't mean it's okay to tell them to go home and stay home because they're too difficult.

Mental illness is NOT a choice and no one would ever choose to live like this.

It's also why there are thousands of suicides a year. It's not only due to the suffering from these conditions but the intolerance from society.

Should our society adapt? Why not? We adapt for those who are disabled. We accept them and adapt, such as having disabled parking. Swings in parks for disabled children who are in wheelchairs so the swing will accommodate their wheelchair. We can see they struggle and try to work with them in order for them to fit into our society.
    That's a good thing and how it should be!!!!

So please, be respectful, be careful on your response and have some empathy and kindness.
    Amen.......

Platinum Member
    I think in the world of work there are many accommodations. Itís not perfect of course but thereís a point where full adaptation could mean the end of a for profit business (like in this case if employees refused to work the late shift based on mental health issues or do other types of work). So there has to be balance in my opinion and retail store work simply might not be right for her. There are other work environments that might give the type of accommodations she is seeking. I needed certain accommodations when I was pregnant but I also remember taking one day off my entire pregnancy because I needed to be near a restroom and was miserable. And I still did a lot of work from home. I also needed more time off for extra ultrasounds and doctors appointments. Not a mental health issue but certainly a recognized disability. So in that sense I can relate.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Amen.......
    I second that .....

@Batya I personally feel we've got a long way to go with accepting mental health and accommodating properly.

There is still far too much hate, intolerance, criticism, judgement, etc.

There's a long way to go with so many layers to equality in my rarely humble opinion. Don't get me started! ;)

In this case though, I don't think it's about that. I think we all have strengths and weaknesses, and OP may be in a role that plays to her weaknesses more than where she's shine. So rather than everyone twist to make this work, sometimes accepting it's not for you is a stronger move than everyone unhappy.

That's all I'll say on this for now. Respect and love you all. Hearts are in good places.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice