LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to get employer to take mental health seriously

Platinum Member
    I see both sides too .... probably because of the situations I have been in , which is why op must get medical support on all of it .

There is seeing both sides and there is saying ridiculous stuff like this

Figure it out, OP. Counseling, pills, or just get over it.
    I mean ...come on ..

The only way to get them to take your issues seriously is to get a doctor note. Really, that's the only way. I get that you're scared and yes, it's hard going to the doctor but think of it this way, it's one time of anxiety versus many more because at least then, you'll have that note to stop them from making you work off shifts or the fitting room.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Fudgie
    The only way to get them to take your issues seriously is to get a doctor note. Really, that's the only way. I get that you're scared and yes, it's hard going to the doctor but think of it this way, it's one time of anxiety versus many more because at least then, you'll have that note to stop them from making you work off shifts or the fitting room.
    I can't agree with this more ...op you don't feel that you even expect him/her to ...but that is their job darling ...please do it to save all of this .

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by purplepaisley
    You need to go to HR and deal with accommodations, FMLA, or doctor notes. And you had better be working on your issues. I have very little empathy or sympathy having to work all the sh**ty shifts because someone has an issue with fitting rooms and can't figure out their transportation. I have worked with the hypersensitive, and guess who gets crapped on...not you...I'm the one that gets crapped on. I have to work all the late night, crappy shifts and the fitting rooms, and I'm the one working extra hours and coming in on my days off because of your panic attacks and sick calls, and I'm the one staying late because you can't get to work on time because you refuse to take a bus or drive, and then I'm the one getting in trouble because clothes aren't all put away and the floor looks messy because you aren't around, and you're busy having a breakdown instead of doing your job. Figure it out, OP. Counseling, pills, or just get over it...it's a room. It's just a freaking room, four walls, a ceiling, and a floor. You're lobbing excuses to get out of the crap work. Get a doctor's note if it's that bad and start aggressively seeing a pshrink and resolving these issues. You'll be lucky if you can hang on to a job for very long if you have this narrow ability of flexibility and long list of requirements while working retail.
    And THIS is why people with mental health conditions suffer more needlessly. As someone who has a documented panic disorder and anxiety who has had therapy AND medications and STILL suffers from occasional panic attacks..... I donít know maybe donít work in retail or with people.

Platinum Member
    OP, I will be blunt here and say that perhaps this isn't the type of job for you.

Are there other jobs you could find, perhaps office-type jobs, where the issues of fitting rooms, messy areas, etc., wouldn't be of a concern?

Also, maybe trying to find a job with more regular, 8-5 type hours, so the walk home wouldn't be so late, and in the dark?

I have worked retail, for many years actually, so I completely get your frustrations here. I know that for me, when I left, a thousand weights lifted off of me. It might be helpful for you to look into something different.

Having said that, if your anxieties come from a place of true mental issues, then you have my sympathy/empathy, but yes, you will need your doctor to write you a note for your employer to have similar empathy.
    Last edited by LHGirl; 12-22-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Platinum Member
    I agree with LH girl and Jman and others whoíve said get a doctors note and consider whether this type of job is right for you.

Platinum Member
    I required only the simplest of accommodations, but the general manager said "absolutely not". So I had my doctor submit documents. After that my company HAD to accommodate me.

If you won't see your doctor and refuse to get the documentation, your employer isn't required to do a thing to help you. It's really the only way.

I have a couple of examples on my team of this sort of thing. One individual has recommendations from his doctor that he not work weekends (everyone has to do a weekend rotation for critical incidents) and as he excels in every other area and a formal recommendation from his dr. I completely support it. Another individual on my team claimed that she was unable to work unless she could sit right next to and look out the window... while I empathized with her (we have big open plan offices and only a select few get window seats) in this case she was unwilling to bring a doctors recommendation supporting her claims, so I asked her to sit in her assigned seat and that we would re-evaluate in a few weeks. Turns out she is totally fine without a window seat.

I see both sides of this and totally feel you OP... If you want your employer to take it seriously, you need to take it seriously and advocate for your mental health with your medical professional first and foremost. It isn't easy as many people don't understand or empathize but if you do your part (bring a doctors note, excel at your job) most employers will do theirs.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Also people have no idea why someone could have anxiety or claustrophobia. I have anxiety and panic disorder and PTSD from severe childhood sexual abuse. I have severe claustrophobia from the time I can ever remember made 1000 times worse when I was raped in a bathroom at 13. So imagine someone smashing your head into a floor and wall until you are unconscious and raping you and then tell me to ď get over ď my PTSD and panic disorder and fear of enclosed spaces. Or wake up to someone choking you and shoving their dYck in your mouth as a kid. But eff man take a pill and get over it.

We donít know what people have suffered in life. A little sympathy goes along way .

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by MissCanuck
    Then you have essentially zero leg to stand on, OP.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but your triggers are not your employer's problem if you have no medical documentation to back up your claims. This is why it's essential you speak to your doctor. I'm at a loss as to why you don't expect your doctor's support; that's what they are there for.

If you cannot do the job under the circumstances required, you should probably look for different work.
    This^^. I work in employment law, dealing with ADA issues, and your employer is not obligated or required to accommodate your disability (which depression and anxiety both are) unless and until they receive a note from your doctor requiring them by law to do so.

Why won't your doctor provide a note for goodness sakes?

You need a new doctor! All my doctors wrote me notes to provide to my employers when necessary.

I also agree with posters who said this is not the right job for you.

I suffer from anxiety too and for that reason, I choose to work in a very small law firm/work environment for less money where there is a lot less stress/pressure which triggers my anxiety.
    Last edited by katrina1980; 12-22-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice