Stupid Argument - Venting

Jbabygirl

My fiancé came home from work and told me all about his day. How hard he worked, how tired he is etc. Well he noticed our baby’s diaper looked full so he made a comment about it. And then I asked him if he would change their diaper well he got all defensive saying no I’m tired from work you do it. So I got defensive back and said you don’t see the baby all day can’t you just change a diaper!? And he replies with No I’m tired. And now we are both in separate rooms. I know I know. Stupid. But I had to vent. Sometimes it’s littke stuff like this that we argue about and I’m not the one who apologizes first but should I? .... am i over reacting? Or should he? (I ended up changing the diaper btw.)

This is not just about one dirty diaper.

You wrote a few weeks ago that you had discovered that he cheated on you while you were pregnant:

https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555775

You are still reeling from this, so every little selfish thing he does reminds you of his cheating, doesn't it? And aren't you sitting on pins and needles wondering when the next time will be?

Hi, no I am not still sitting on pins and needles wondering. That is the past and right now we are both focused on building trust and moving forward. I’m not an angel. I’ve hurt him too but we’re wiling to work through our problems. This post isn’t about that though, it’s about a stupid little argument that happened (TONIGHT). I kinda feel like I should just move on from it honestly, it’s so dumb lol arguing over a diaper. 😄

You want to be an unemployed SAHM so why is this his job after work? You already know about his attitude problem. You don't want to move out. You don't want to work, you don't want to live with your parents, you want more babies asap, so since these are all your choices you may have to get used to how things are with him and this life you've chosen. You also enjoy the chronic arguing and bickering as much as he does.

he noticed our baby’s diaper looked full so he made a comment about it. And then I asked him if he would change their diaper well he got all defensive saying no I’m tired from work you do it.

From other posts it's evident this relationship is toxic and that the problem is greater than a diaper. If you're not working and he's paying for everything, no he shouldn't be changing diapers when he comes from work but there shouldn't be such a problem and arguing with him changing a diaper once in a while when he sees it needs to.

My fiancé came home from work and told me all about his day. How hard he worked, how tired he is etc. Well he noticed our baby’s diaper looked full so he made a comment about it. And then I asked him if he would change their diaper well he got all defensive saying no I’m tired from work you do it. So I got defensive back and said you don’t see the baby all day can’t you just change a diaper!? And he replies with No I’m tired. And now we are both in separate rooms. I know I know. Stupid. But I had to vent. Sometimes it’s littke stuff like this that we argue about and I’m not the one who apologizes first but should I? .... am i over reacting? Or should he? (I ended up changing the diaper btw.)

I think you talk in advance about what expectations are for child care - and not seeing the baby all day doesn't mean he'd choose to bond by changing a diaper. When I was home full time and my husband worked full time we knew he was "on duty" so to speak when he got home because I needed a break -so there was no "talk" -he came home and he took care of whatever -played with the baby or changed his diaper, bath, whatever. The more you communicate in advance the better. You didn't "have to vent" you chose to express your frustration by venting. You have to learn ways to calm yourself down so that you can deal with situations like this without venting each time. I know because I live it, because I lose it too and I know how it feels after and I work all the time on expressing whatever emotion in an appropriate way. Also your child deserves to grow up in as calm an environment as possible - life is stressful sometimes sure and kids need to see that too but it's also much better if they see adults calming themselves down when they're frustrated and speaking in as calm a tone as is possible to each other. A baby absorbs the negativity.

No no I’m not trying to say this is his job after work I’m saying I asked him to change it just once this night and he got defensive about it so I’m seeking advice on if I should just move the f*ck on. It’s just a damn diaper lol

No, you two need to do a much better job outlining expectations of each other regarding childcare.

But really, you two are likely always going to struggle as a couple simply because the problems between you run much more deeply than one dirty diaper.

What Batya said 100%.

So only going by this one post, try what she suggested. Even without a child, when two people live together and are both busy and working hard, you have to communicate all the time about division of labour and what you both need if you want to prevent needless little fights. Having a child makes it even more important - and it's not just about you two, the baby deserves a calm stable atmosphere seeing grown ups dealing with conflict in a mature way. You are modelling, even when they are babies.

Maybe sit down when the baby is in bed. Make a specific regular agreement for where and when to discuss family stuff. I wouldn't try to pounce anything on him when he just gets home. Understandable you need breaks too, it's working out specifically when and how in hard detail together. Key is together. Perhaps after he has a little wind down time after work.

Archived