Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is This An Effective Punishment?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    But punishing a child because they were upset they couldn’t talk to their mom and they changed their mind about the store is ridiculous .

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    But punishing a child because they were upset they couldn’t talk to their mom and they changed their mind about the store is ridiculous .
    We don't know what else happened. Being upset is okay, but if the child took it out on others/copped an attitude which made them disrespectful to their grandparents over it, broke house rules, was disrespectful and the whole day snowballed after that - and the child asked to go to the store before (the grandparent was going at the childs request) or needed to go (could not be left home alone, were buying clothes for the child, etc, grandparent was limited on when they could because of the child), etc., the grandparent is entitled to take away priveleges if they saw fit.

We don't know what else happened.
    Then why 'guess' at what happened and lets just wait and see what the Op has to say about those who are speculating that he acted out. Its pointless to be giving opinions on what wasn't shared.

The kid was "upset" because he couldn't talk to his mother. The Op DID NOT say that he carried that over to disrespect his grandfather... only that he changed his mind to go to the store.

Based on what was shared in the opening post, yes it was it was ridiculous, it was cruel and it was emotionally abusive. Even if he did act out to the grandfather then taking away his time with the pets permanently is absurd.

Platinum Member
    As a response to this, my father decided to punish him by not allowing him to go near the dogs permanently.
    Absolutely disgusting ...and permanently !!!!, he knows nothing about children and certainly nothing about autism . Not much more to be said and certainly nothing to be debated over .

Platinum Member
    We can disagree on my assessment (and your assessment) but this is what I was reacting to. The child was upset earlier that day over a simple phone call.
    That phone call was with the childs mother ... if life gets in the way you cannot expect a child to just say ahhh ok then ...This could have felt like his world collapsing ....he is a child ...

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    First off I wish I hadn't read this thread cuz I'm pretty upset now thinking about your poor nepthew and how he will never be able to play with the dogs again, the one and only thing in the world that gave him pleasure.

Second I agree with S and others, the punishment does NOT fit the "crime". I mean not wanting to go to the store? How is this not having manners and being rude and inconsiderate?

Is there more to this OP that you're not sharing? Like did your nephew start swearing at his grandfather, stomping his feet, throwing a tantrum or something?

I mean, that might warrant some form of punishment, perhaps not allowing him to play with the dogs for a few days, but permanently????

I'm just not understanding this at all, and yes it does sound like some form of mental/emotional abuse.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    That phone call was with the childs mother ... if life gets in the way you cannot expect a child to just say ahhh ok then ...This could have felt like his world collapsing ....he is a child ...
    Exactly, it would make a child heartbroken. I remember when my son was 14 my MIL took my son’s phone under the guise of “ keeping it safe” but it was so he didn’t talk to me. My son has bad anxiety ( which most Autistic people have)and separation anxiety. I ROASTED her azz for doing that.

Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    That's what I was thinking too. He must be feeling so confused, sad, and alone.

I don't know as much about autism and children as others on the board. I think any child though would be struggling with this situation. He's only 11, his mom isn't there, suddenly he's living with grandma and grandpa, and now grandpas telling him he can't even play with the dogs. How lonely he must feel! Poor little guy.

Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    That's what I was thinking too. He must be feeling so confused, sad, and alone.

I don't know as much about autism and children as others on the board. I think any child though would be struggling with this situation. He's only 11, his mom isn't there, suddenly he's living with grandma and grandpa, and now grandpas telling him he can't even play with the dogs. How lonely he must feel! Poor little guy.
    Exactly, this whole situation is devastating to a child never mind a child with a disability . Grandpa better inform himself.

Platinum Member
    I am dossed out on my sofa watching something and this keeps creeping in my mind ..imagine ..using a dog as punishment , given that a punishment was needed and in my mind there is no reason here ..he needed some calm time , he needed a cuddle and some understanding . But to use the dogs ...it is no different then me telling my daughter when she was younger , right that's it , you can't play with the cat , ever again ...there are no words to describe how ridiculous and sick this is .
    Last edited by pippy longstocking; 12-18-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice