Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Did I embarrass him in front of everyone??? I feel terrible :(((

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    Yes and the way she chose to express it in front of a group and with a cake, etc is the problem. We don't know if "everyone knew" or if "everyone knew" all the details. HIs business to share and especially his call as to whether he wanted to be made the center of attention. The test is never if you or I would be "fine with it' in the workplace -that's a factor of course but especially in the workplace you can't just go by that. For example, I am fine with someone looking over my shoulder when I am sitting at my computer. Others are not. Years ago we were told in a training at my former company not to look over a secretary's shoulder at her computer -in close proximity -without asking first. Would not have occurred to me and I was glad to learn that. I recently asked a secretary for permission before I did that.
    We will have to agree to disagree. I just think that we are becoming so hyper sensitive, these days. Your situation of the secretary is a good example.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    We will have to agree to disagree. I just think that we are becoming so hyper sensitive, these days. Your situation of the secretary is a good example.
    Yes we can. I follow my workplace rules and the training I receive. In that case the point was some people feel overwhelmed or crowded if a person is leaning over them standing while they are sitting. And the employer didn't want any related issues. I'd rather err on the side of assuming someone would be sensitive in the workplace than not because my professional life is that much of a priority to me. Of course it also depends on the work environment. If the OP indicated that what she did was typically done in her workplace I'd feel differently of course.

I agree with you that she meant well!

Gotta love these threads where we couldn't possibly know why someone did something or acting in a certain way where all of it is just speculation.

Op: You can get guesses until the cows come home and none of them (or all of them) could be the truth. Only he knows why he didn't act the way you expected him to. That there is the reality of it all. You EXPECTED him to act the way you would have and since he didn't, you think you did something wrong. Let it go and if you like him past him being a helping hand at work, then contact him and ask him to join you for a drink. Don't ask him why he didn't react the way you expected him to react either. ;)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Give Advice
Ask For Advice