Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did I embarrass him in front of everyone??? I feel terrible :(((

What you did was a very thoughtful and nice thing so don't beat yourself up if it didn't go as you had hoped.

He has your number and if he is interested he will contact you, in fact I am pretty sure he will contact you if you read him right.

His reaction could have been seeded in many things that are his issues not yours.

Keep being who you are.

Lost

Were other people giving mini speeches? Not saying you did anything wrong, but the whole "hi everyone, I was gonna make this cake for my going away but here it is for this guy's instead" plug followed by quite vocally and fowardly singing his praises seems a bit awkward and a bit over the top to me. Not in some terrible way, but maybe to the extent that from his perspective, it was kind of an "alright, not sure what to do with this but thaaaaaanks?"

But who knows? For all we know, dude could have had a dinner date and would have been out the door in three minutes regardless. Not worth kicking yourself and debating what you could have done better. He gave you his thanks and I think that's plenty appropriate. I agree with the others who have suggested it that, now that you're not working with each other, it's worth reaching out and asking to meet up for a drink.

I think you did a great thing! :)

Why he acted weird? Who knows, but don't feel bad. He might have just been having an off day.

Originally Posted by abitbroken
    Perhaps were there people who did not know he was leaving as well? Maybe this spilled the beans, so to speak
    You kind of stole his thunder sort of making his last day about you. That was *not* cool.
    right exactly. should have given him the courtesy to let him know you might do this and make sure it was okay with him (didn't conflict with anything he meant, wished, or how he wanted it to be).

Gold Member
    Maybe he was embarrassed because he thought you liked him when you were praising him so much?

Platinum Member
    One of the big bosses at my workplace sent an email praising one of the women I supervise. He also left her a note. It's glaringly obvious this man has a crush on her, since everyone in my department is doing the same work but only she gets the praise.

Maybe he felt like you were practically shouting "I LIKE YOU!!" to the entire office.

Platinum Member
    I think we are looking into this too much. I do not think it is necessary to alert someone you are going to say how much you appreciate their help. I am sorry, I think that that is silly.

OP, I think you did a nice thing.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    I think we are looking into this too much. I do not think it is necessary to alert someone you are going to say how much you appreciate their help. I am sorry, I think that that is silly.

OP, I think you did a nice thing.
    I do if it's going to make him the center of attention on his last day of work in front of a large group of his colleagues -and especially if you're not the person's boss. And she also talked about his future plans, his new company, etc. I've sent complimentary emails to someone's supervisor about how much I appreciate the person's help without checking with the person in advance. Totally different.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Batya33
    I do if it's going to make him the center of attention on his last day of work in front of a large group of his colleagues -and especially if you're not the person's boss. And she also talked about his future plans, his new company, etc. I've sent complimentary emails to someone's supervisor about how much I appreciate the person's help without checking with the person in advance. Totally different.
    I'm sure everybody knew of his departure. I think that this is being oversensitive. I would have been fine with it.

I can't imagine asking someone in advance if it okay if I say something nice about them. Have we gotten to that point.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    I'm sure everybody knew of his departure. I think that this is being oversensitive. I would have been fine with it.
    Yes and the way she chose to express it in front of a group and with a cake, etc is the problem. We don't know if "everyone knew" or if "everyone knew" all the details. HIs business to share and especially his call as to whether he wanted to be made the center of attention. The test is never if you or I would be "fine with it' in the workplace -that's a factor of course but especially in the workplace you can't just go by that. For example, I am fine with someone looking over my shoulder when I am sitting at my computer. Others are not. Years ago we were told in a training at my former company not to look over a secretary's shoulder at her computer -in close proximity -without asking first. Would not have occurred to me and I was glad to learn that. I recently asked a secretary for permission before I did that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice