I've been married to my husband for 14 years, together for 23, have two amazing kids (one grown and on her own). Is it possible for a man to love his wife forever? I'm feeling my age I guess, just about to turn 47. He works in an industry where he travels a lot and is in contact with a lot of youger women. He has never given me reason to question him. Maybe I'm just being insecure. Advice please.

Perhaps seek some actual professional help. If there is nothing going on in your marriage, unfounded insecurity could potentially damage it. People who are in healthy, happy relationships don't typically question them based on age alone. I assume the two of you are close in age, so that shouldn't be a problem.

In this thread, 7 years ago, you thought he was cheating, due to his returns home from extended absences with little to no sex or intimacy:

https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402987

And in this thread, 3 years ago, he told you he was no longer attracted to you due to your weight:

https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489345

Are those things still on your mind? That you feel he may be cheating? That you feel he may still not be attracted to you?

Has anything changed in these areas? Sexual frequency, weight changes?

The best thing you can do is get a good checkup from a physician and get evaluated for any changes in metabolic, hormonal or other issues regarding energy, well being etc. Also if you feel you are in a transitional point in your life book an appt with a therapist to explore and sort out some thoughts on this and get some coping tips.

Build yourself up through new and different things. Take classes or courses. Language, cooking, dancing, yoga, whatever. Join some groups or clubs that interest you. Stay and become and evolving interesting person to yourself and others.

If you are stuck in mom mode shift more towards your individuality. Get in shape and retool your health and eating lifestyle. Update your image. Clothes, hair etc.

I've been married to my husband for 14 years, together for 23, have two amazing kids (one grown and on her own). I'm feeling my age I guess, just about to turn 47. He works in an industry where he travels a lot and is in contact with a lot of youger women. He has never given me reason to question him. Maybe I'm just being insecure. Advice please.

Well I guess based on those threads LHG posted, he has indeed given you reason to question him.

It's entirely possible for people to stay together forever out of love or fear, either happily or unhappily.

Love doesn't equal happiness, at ALL. It doesn't fix everything. Some problems are beyond fixing and the best thing for both people is to simply let go and move on.

How you will know a relationship is meant to last is not just based on the love.... are you guys happy together? Is there good communication, caring, generosity, trust, willingness to work together, humility, vulnerability, and intimacy? Do you have fun and laugh together? Do you cry and solve problems together?

I mean I think you can see a theme here... couples that last tend to have goals, dreams, and a common purpose that they share and work together on. If this isn't you, you may want to think about how to make that happen before it's too late.

If he hasn't given you any reason, or behaved in any way that is consistent with him being unfaithful - then you are being paranoid. And you need to stop right away. Because guess what is the quickest way to ensure your man strays? Taht's right.. by being paranoid and assuming and acting or expecting your man to stray! Imagine that!

Yes.. it is possible for a man to love a woman for his entire life. Happens all the time. The real question is: is love always enough? Do couples who truly love each other always end up staying together forever? That is a completely different question and sometimes the answer is "no".

BUT. Believe me when i say - if your mind is completely occupied by this and is the mentality you carry around all the time - you are basically ensuring that you will NOT be together forever and make him fall OUT of love with you. It's uncanny how much correlation there is between what you think and believe - and what ends up happening. There's even been studies on this that have proven this over and over again.

If you want an eerie and powerful example. hit me up in messaging and i will tell you about one such study.

I can relate to feeling like I'm getting older and don't feel as attractive at all. (52, married 10 years). One thing that has helped me is to keep slim and keep exercising and drinking a lot of water -it helps me feel healthful and vital even if I'm not thrilled with wrinkles, etc. I feel secure that my husband is faithful and will remain so, I just am feeling my age as you wrote. I hope you feel better/resolve any issues.

Archived