Why do people troll people? What do they achieve from doing so and trying to psychologically break someone down?

I see it happen to celebrities all time, people just leaving nasty comments on their page, and laughing about it. And it’ll be vicious stuff like telling them to kill themselves and so on.

I’m not a celebrity but I can’t even use social media anymore, without people trying to mock and troll me. And I’m not even posting for them. Every little thing I do, they’re just waiting and preying.

And it’s not only me.

But what is going through their psyche’s when they do it? What if somebody kills themselves over it? Are they just going to think, they’re so cool they got someone to kill themselves?

What it’s a family member or a close friend they’re doing it? For example on this site, someone can see they a close friend going through turmoil and the person in turmoil comes on this forum. Is it a funny idea for a group of people to hide behind fake profile or their actual profiles to psychological torment this person or take shots at them while they’re down? What if they then kill themselves, does

that mean they’re a weak person or did the other people mistake being jerks (male and female) for being strong?

I just wonder about the brain functionality behind it.

I suppose we will never know until we ourselves get that mindset ...and thankfully we wont .

I agree with how disgusting it is . how sad , small minded and cruel it is . I am on twitter and some of the things I see on there oh wow it makes me cringe .

Small time trolls like we get on here are really just pathetic small people ....makking up stories just to get responses ..you just gotta feel sad for them .

If you feel this way please call a suicide hotline or go to an emergency room or make an appointment with a doctor or psychiatrist.

I can’t even use social media anymore, without people trying to mock and troll me. What if somebody kills themselves over it? Are they just going to think, they’re so cool they got someone to kill themselves?
You may be suffering from schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder which is responsible for the confusion, the arrests, the commitment and so on

That is disgusting ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ how dare you

In just two days you have acused 3 people of having boderline and now schizophrenia , you are a disgrace to the mental health community and you need stopping .

That is disgusting ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ how dare you

In just two days you have acused 3 people of having boderline and now schizophrenia , you are a disgrace to the mental health community and you need stopping .

I have noticed from being on here some posters are very quick to assume someone's mental health.

I feel this is something for a professional to comment on.

A lot of people come on here very fragile and although people may feel like it's advice. It may not be perceived as that by the individual they are making comments about.

I feel if a poster feels that someone may be exhibiting symptoms of a mental illness they should suggest going to a doctor. Not suggesting what disorder they think they might have.

Sorry my rant over and back to the topic.

Trolling is incredibly cruel. Where I am from we have a lot of press based on cyber bullying.

I think a troll gets the same "kick" that a real life bully gets. In a sense they can be a lot worse as they are hiding behind a screen.

This sort if bullying is just as damaging as bullying faced in real life as we tend to live a lot more "online" now.

I am sorry you have experienced this. Like someone suggested if you feel like it is ever getting too much for you. There is so much support out there for this type of bullying. So hope you use that than the alternative.

I watched a heartbreaking documentary about a young boy dealing with trolling. He eventually killed himself. His parents are broken as you can imagine they just wished he spoke to them or a professional as it didn't have to end that way.

A lot of people don't realise there is so much help out there for this sort of thing. So hope that they do seek help like that and it doesn't end like the story I mentioned above.

Thankyou for speaking up ...this has gone on long enough . I am not an expert ..but I am in the system ..I am mentally ill , trying very hard to live with it and control and understand ...I know the lengthy process to get it right , I know the mistakes of misdiagnosis , I know what hell it is , I know the criteria for many different things , as I have been tested over and over , I have being misdiagnosed for 4 and half years then had it all re done ....I know that most people vaguely fit into many of the criteria for different mental health illnesess , we all do ....it is more complicted then that , so if someone comes on and their ex has lots of sex , or being up and down , or had a face on for days ..or gets very happy etc etc ...WE ALL fit into that ...mental illness is a bit more indepth then that .

There are young vulnerable people on here who think what we say is gospel ..I don't want them to go away thinking ..* oh well I got dumped cos my ex has a personality disorder * , then everyone they meet after that ..as soon as the crap hits the fan they think ..oh well they must have a personlity disorder as well !!! NO .....we shouldn't fill peoples heads with this .

This is 2018 , we are bringing mental health out ..we are shouting it loud and proud , we are trying to promote understanding and remove the stigma ..this on here is putting us back 50 years ...and I have had enough !!! It is not a sentence ...have you got a and b ....they are totally different ..two different leagues . Anway ........and breathe

Agree. There was recently a thread about a guy's table manners, moving a napkin, whatever and people were diagnosing him with OCD, lol. https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555821&p=7072875&viewfull=1#post7072875

I remember trying to stand up for him if he had OCD as people asfd trying to say he did. I shared my experience with OCD as a teen. Said I he was not being "controlling".

The poor man could have just been nervous to be fair.

From my own experience of OCD. I do feel like he exhibited signs of OCD. So shared that point.

Again maybe I shouldn't have... I felt like people occusing him of being "controlling" was not right if he had OCD which to me it seemed he had.

I have never said to any poster that they need to seek help and tried to diagnose them to be fair.

Again I am learning to be more careful with how I phase things.

As following that I've been told I may have some issues of my own that I need to seek help for.

It's not nice as a poster on these forums for someone else to try and diagnose you.

So I'm learning to be more careful.

Thankyou for speaking up ...this has gone on long enough . I am not an expert ..but I am in the system ..I am mentally ill , trying very hard to live with it and control and understand ...I know the lengthy process to get it right , I know the mistakes of misdiagnosis , I know what hell it is , I know the criteria for many different things , as I have been tested over and over , I have being misdiagnosed for 4 and half years then had it all re done ....I know that most people vaguely fit into many of the criteria for different mental health illnesess , we all do ....it is more complicted then that , so if someone comes on and their ex has lots of sex , or being up and down , or had a face on for days ..or gets very happy etc etc ...WE ALL fit into that ...mental illness is a bit more indepth then that .

There are young vulnerable people on here who think what we say is gospel ..I don't want them to go away thinking ..* oh well I got dumped cos my ex has a personality disorder * , then everyone they meet after that ..as soon as the crap hits the fan they think ..oh well they must have a personlity disorder as well !!! NO .....we shouldn't fill peoples heads with this .

This is 2018 , we are bringing mental health out ..we are shouting it loud and proud , we are trying to promote understanding and remove the stigma ..this on here is putting us back 50 years ...and I have had enough !!! It is not a sentence ...have you got a and b ....they are totally different ..two different leagues . Anway ........and breathe

I think it's a great thing that you have highlighted this. Will make people feel more careful in the future.

Why do people troll people? What do they achieve from doing so and trying to psychologically break someone down?

I see it happen to celebrities all time, people just leaving nasty comments on their page, and laughing about it. And it’ll be vicious stuff like telling them to kill themselves and so on.

I’m not a celebrity but I can’t even use social media anymore, without people trying to mock and troll me. And I’m not even posting for them. Every little thing I do, they’re just waiting and preying.

And it’s not only me.

But what is going through their psyche’s when they do it? What if somebody kills themselves over it? Are they just going to think, they’re so cool they got someone to kill themselves?

What it’s a family member or a close friend they’re doing it? For example on this site, someone can see they a close friend going through turmoil and the person in turmoil comes on this forum. Is it a funny idea for a group of people to hide behind fake profile or their actual profiles to psychological torment this person or take shots at them while they’re down? What if they then kill themselves, does

that mean they’re a weak person or did the other people mistake being jerks (male and female) for being strong?

I just wonder about the brain functionality behind it.

In answer to your question about trolling, who knows why they do what they do? There is someone that shows up on this forum pretty regularly for the sole purpose of posting stupid threads and hurtful comments on people's threads but he is usually pretty easy to spot.

The thing with social media and forums like this is that people don't know you, or what you are about, they only know what they read from your posts... and all sorts of things can be interpreted from text based on projection, perception, and history of the people reading them. And people will always say things from behind a computer that they would never say to someone's face. If you are sensitive to this sort of thing it is best to stay away from posting on social media as you are currently doing.

That being said... you do seem to have paranoia that people are out to get you. You accused us in your last thread and this one of being family / friends that were hiding behind fake profiles.... do you have evidence to prove this? You also believe that people are waiting in line to mock you on social media... what facts do you have to back this up?

People are by nature pretty focused on themselves and their own lives. Unless you are in a cult, an extremist organization, or in prison, it would be almost unheard of for a group of adults to get together with the sole purpose of torturing or making fun of another adult. They are either compassionate and empathetic and would not treat others that way, or they are too focused on their own lives to bother with such things.

I honestly work with a mental health agency and have clients. My golden rule - and apart of my training - is to never diagnosis a person with a disability unless evidence-based data from a multitude of tests has been collected by a licensed professional. And I frankly get tired of that crap here of how these Keyboard Warriors come here and are suddenly “experts.” Not all disability diagnosis are accurate based on behavioral observations.

Here’s a fun fact: about 70% of people who are diagnosed with Autism actually have brain seizures, not ASD. Because the test conducted was solely based on BEHAVIOR.

A lot of people come on here very fragile and although people may feel like it's advice. It may not be perceived as that by the individual they are making comments about.

Story time:

During my first year of college, I had “spotty lights” blurring and darkening my vision randomly. I had no idea what they were. I went to a campus doctor (who were RN nurses with limited experience). A nurse diagnosed me with severe depression and actually convinced me that I was “going crazy.”

I left to go home for two weeks and I was still having the problems. I see my family doctor... turned out I was having migraine attacks that was triggered by a reaction to birth control medication. No depression or evidence of me going to have a mental breakdown.

I basically wasted two weeks away from school all because a campus “doctor” misdiagnosed me with a mental illness.

Seriously, be careful HOW you give information here. And if you don’t have any medical or mental health training, you shouldn’t be commenting or diagnosing strangers on the internet. Just because you took a Psychology 101 course in community college or have a cousin with any disability from the DSM V doesn’t qualify you as an expert.

I remember trying to stand up for him if he had OCD as people asfd trying to say he did. I shared my experience with OCD as a teen. Said I he was not being "controlling".

The poor man could have just been nervous to be fair.

From my own experience of OCD. I do feel like he exhibited signs of OCD. So shared that point.

Again maybe I shouldn't have... I felt like people occusing him of being "controlling" was not right if he had OCD which to me it seemed he had.

I have never said to any poster that they need to seek help and tried to diagnose them to be fair.

Again I am learning to be more careful with how I phase things.

As following that I've been told I may have some issues of my own that I need to seek help for.

It's not nice as a poster on these forums for someone else to try and diagnose you.

So I'm learning to be more careful.

Yeah Jelly, one thing to remember when pointing fingers, your posting history can haunt you. I don’t know the context of the post cause it was deleted but yeah... you’re kinda everywhere with your thoughts lately.

To the OPer are you referencing the trolls who post about working at hertz and being racist or inconsiderate posters. I think they’re night and day and looking at maews post there does seem to be more to this. I’m not one of them there diagnosing posters. I very often say it might be time to see someone and I don’t say that in a condescending or judgmental way but simply a this is beyond strangers ability to solve and if you are suffering from paranoia etc to this level, it could be a sign of something quite serious

I will say something I admire about this site, many are very sensitive to any admittance to mental illness, although unfortunately sometimes to a persons detriment because instead of pushing them to seek professional assistance they’re kinda coddled and fed what they need to self soothe, which assists them in avoiding getting any real help.

ETA - Ok caught up. Again I don’t know what the post said but like maew pointed out based on the OPers other post combined with this one, he may very well be suffering from something. Instead of clueing in on that this post seemed to take on a life of its own. Real shame.

Yeah Jelly, one thing to remember when pointing fingers, your posting history can haunt you. I don’t know the context of the post cause it was deleted but yeah... you’re kinda everywhere with your thoughts lately.

Bizzare it shouldn't have been deleted.

I do stand by what I said. I don't think someone should try and diagnose a poster here. I can at least say I haven't don't that.

I jumped the gun with the napkin guy. Which I hold my hands up for. I'm quick to admit when I am wrong.

Just being on the receiving end of being told I may have OCD with my way of thinking and I should seek help. Was not comforting or even accurate to that I'm exhibiting in my life right.

This whole thing has been an incredibly learning experience. Which is why I would never try and "diagnose" and actual poster or even an individual they are posting about.

Guess I'll stop being everywhere with my thoughts and keep them to myself from now on.

It wasn't deleted, here's the excerpt:

Bizzare it shouldn't have been deleted.

Which is why I would never try and "diagnose" and actual poster or even an individual they are posting about.

I feel like he exhibited classic signs of OCD behavior.

So really he needs to either be honest about his condition or seek help to control them so he doesn't exhibit them.

He just had OCD.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
To the original poster's question about trolling - IMHO some people are just plain evil. Maybe it's narcissism, I don't know but I do believe some people are just plain evil.

I've just listened to a podcast from the Art of Charm where in part they talk about trolling

https://theartofcharm.com/podcast-episodes/aoc-value-toolbox-identifying-low-value-behaviors-episode-693/

Trolling is a means to demand attention, approval, and acceptance.

Archived