Unhappy with my career choice

Lovelavie

I'm 25 years old. I live in Brazil and most people here live with their parents until around 28, 29 years. Living in the city on your own is really expensive and economy here is not doing so good. People get underpaid and most of my friends aren't financially independent. However, I'm starting to feel desperate because I can never seem to find a job that really makes me happy and pays me at least a decent amount of money. I see myself getting paid the same thing as my 21, 22 year old friends.

I regret so much going to fashion school because they ask for so many things in your curriculum yet they don't want to pay a decent salary. This is a reality with all of my friends that graduated with me. Either they're not in the fashion industry anymore, or they're still trying but still getting underpaid. I for myself have decided I no longer want to work in this industry.

I want to be financially independent, I want to have my own things and not have to depend on my parents for most of the things, but i feel like time is slipping by my fingers and this is coming to a point where I don't know where to turn to.

I am moving to Australia next year to study Business and Marketing and I feel like this is going to be a great thing for me, but still I wish I had more experience on my back.

I've been working with fashion for 4 years now, and I can't point a time where I was ever happy at a job. Yes, I've learned a lot and yes I'm thankful for having the opportunity to work but there are always things that I see only happen in this industry. Right now I'm working at the worst place I've ever been. My boss humiliates me and all of the workers here. He yells, tells me I have to ask him before I make plans for the weekends. I work some Saturdays and holidays when he asks to. He tells me to do something then the next day says he never said that and that I'm useless and can't do anything right. There are days where there are no toilet paper in the company (we have to bring it from our houses!) there are no windows in my office room, my chair hurts my back and I have to keep fixing it during the day, the computer is slow and slows down my tasks because I work mainly on the computer, no one cleans the office room, we have to clean it on our own with our own products . I got hired to do a series of things and little by little they took away mine and my cooworkers tasks to the point where I'm doing a robots job that I did when I was in college. I enter earlier than most friends working in other areas and I get out later. I work more hours than most of the people in my circle of friends yet get paid so much less.

This isn't self pitying, I know a lot of it depends on me and I know I have to always keep trying. But I just feel so upset that I can never find a job that makes me happy. I don't even have to earn a lot yet, just get a decent salary and be able to explore my talents instead of being treated like I'm a dumb person who can't do anything right. I want to work, I want to do things, I don't mind working extra hours, I don't mind working my a** off as long as I see some return, and long as I´m learning. I just wake up everyday and do the same robotic thing hoping for it to be 6 p.m. so I can go home. I'm starting to feel a bit desperate because my dad is a really sucessful man in his job and he has taught me most things I know and am today. He has showed me values and I awnt to make him proud but I feel like a failure. I recognized I've some privileges in my life but I don't want to accomodate. I feel stuck, I feel like I'm useless and I don't know how to change this because every job I've been at ends up the same way: paying me a ridiculous salary to do a bunch of things, or to take away your tasks to the point where you just come to make presence and get paid at the end of the month. I feel really upset carreer wise.

Sounds like a crappy situation. But the good news is, it's temporary and you will be taking a major step for your career in the near future. Also, as sh*tty as it is, you are still getting great experience: it's called REALITY. Yes, the sh*t they sell you on TV, YouTube, the movies, and in school rarely pans out in REALITY. So be patient and hang tight until you move.

All you can do is have an up to date resume on file at all times and keep browsing for positions and sending out your resume. Also make sure you have a good LinkedIn profile with a well written description of your education and work experience. Have a professional looking head shot. Post a link to your resume and check off to allow employers to contact you. Also upload your contact list and see who is on there that you already know to make connections to. Ask for recommendations from professors. Check with your school alumni associations and career development departments for job postings. Join some professional groups and organizations.

"I am always unhappy with my jobs" 04-20-2018:

I'm 24 and graduated in fashion design two years ago. Ever since I've worked in 4 different companies and all 4 of them made me frustrated and unhappy in some way. Some of them I felt like there was nothing to do, others didn't get paid enough or even had the basic benefits. All the companies I've worked at made me feel like I had to be thankful they were even paying me, as if I had to do my job for free.

I hate routine and I'm tired of this 9-5 every single day and doing things I don't enjoy. Next year I plan on moving to Australia (I currently live in Brazil). I don't aspire to build a carreer in a company, I aspire to travel and explore the world and having this office routine is driving me crazy day by day. I am trying hard to find a meaning in this but as the years go by the more I realize I don't see any meaning at all. I feel upset because in these 3 years working there hasn't been one job that I could say I was happy at, it's like I have this really bad luck in finding something that makes me feel happy and confortable in.

I need the money, that's the only reason I work, but the rest of it I just hate it and the more time goes by the more I panic about how I'm supposed to lead this lifestyle for the next 30 years of my life.

I really don’t have any advice for you, because I’m in the same boat, but at least wanted to tell you you’re not alone.

I went straight to college after high school and became a Registered Nurse, because it was a versatile career with decent (or so I thought) pay. Turns out, it’s not really that versatile because to change specialties means starting all over as if I have zero experience. Not to mention, I really don’t like it and it doesn’t pay nearly what I was led to believe. I’m able to pay the bills, but that’s about it. Basically, I’m unhappy. I know I’m capable of more and I just feel stifled. Changing careers seems impossible when I’m still paying off loans from nursing school, plus I can’t make any less than I do now or I won’t make ends meet. The majority of my friends who are close to my age (28) are also in the same boat.

Honestly, this is just a really rough time in life. You’ve grown enough to know who you want to be, but still young enough that you’re not established. The economy isn’t getting much friendlier, and population continues to grow.

It’s great that you’re going back to school for a new degree. That’s a wonderful first step. In the mean time, spend your free time doing anything you can to make yourself better prepared for that experience. Learn everything you can. Look at different kinds of businesses, see if you can fit some shadowing in. That way you’ll have an idea what kind of business you’d like to be involved with.

Most importantly, don’t work all day at the office for someone else, and go home and not work on your own goals for yourself.

“You’re not tired, you’re just uninspired.”

It’s not easy, but we will get there. Eventually.

Sometimes achieving what will satisfy you in life means exactly what you are already set up to do - changing your life completely, pursuing a different career, even moving countries and cultures. You are plenty young to change even drastically, so don't fret so much about time slipping away. People change their careers in their 40's and succeed just fine. An attitude that you should adopt for yourself is that it's never too late.

Ultimately, be honest with yourself. If you want to be financially successful and that's your real actual goal, then how can you personally go about achieving that? If your dad is successful that way then you need to have a different conversation with him - it's not about morals and values and being a good or liked person, it's about the nitty gritty of how to make money. Ask that. How did he get to where he is and what decisions and choices did he really have to make? Can you follow in his footsteps?

I'm 25 years old. I live in Brazil and most people here live with their parents until around 28, 29 years. Living in the city on your own is really expensive and economy here is not doing so good. People get underpaid and most of my friends aren't financially independent. However, I'm starting to feel desperate because I can never seem to find a job that really makes me happy and pays me at least a decent amount of money. I see myself getting paid the same thing as my 21, 22 year old friends.

I regret so much going to fashion school because they ask for so many things in your curriculum yet they don't want to pay a decent salary. This is a reality with all of my friends that graduated with me. Either they're not in the fashion industry anymore, or they're still trying but still getting underpaid. I for myself have decided I no longer want to work in this industry.

I want to be financially independent, I want to have my own things and not have to depend on my parents for most of the things, but i feel like time is slipping by my fingers and this is coming to a point where I don't know where to turn to.

I am moving to Australia next year to study Business and Marketing and I feel like this is going to be a great thing for me, but still I wish I had more experience on my back.

I've been working with fashion for 4 years now, and I can't point a time where I was ever happy at a job. Yes, I've learned a lot and yes I'm thankful for having the opportunity to work but there are always things that I see only happen in this industry. Right now I'm working at the worst place I've ever been. My boss humiliates me and all of the workers here. He yells, tells me I have to ask him before I make plans for the weekends. I work some Saturdays and holidays when he asks to. He tells me to do something then the next day says he never said that and that I'm useless and can't do anything right. There are days where there are no toilet paper in the company (we have to bring it from our houses!) there are no windows in my office room, my chair hurts my back and I have to keep fixing it during the day, the computer is slow and slows down my tasks because I work mainly on the computer, no one cleans the office room, we have to clean it on our own with our own products . I got hired to do a series of things and little by little they took away mine and my cooworkers tasks to the point where I'm doing a robots job that I did when I was in college. I enter earlier than most friends working in other areas and I get out later. I work more hours than most of the people in my circle of friends yet get paid so much less.

This isn't self pitying, I know a lot of it depends on me and I know I have to always keep trying. But I just feel so upset that I can never find a job that makes me happy. I don't even have to earn a lot yet, just get a decent salary and be able to explore my talents instead of being treated like I'm a dumb person who can't do anything right. I want to work, I want to do things, I don't mind working extra hours, I don't mind working my a** off as long as I see some return, and long as I´m learning. I just wake up everyday and do the same robotic thing hoping for it to be 6 p.m. so I can go home. I'm starting to feel a bit desperate because my dad is a really sucessful man in his job and he has taught me most things I know and am today. He has showed me values and I awnt to make him proud but I feel like a failure. I recognized I've some privileges in my life but I don't want to accomodate. I feel stuck, I feel like I'm useless and I don't know how to change this because every job I've been at ends up the same way: paying me a ridiculous salary to do a bunch of things, or to take away your tasks to the point where you just come to make presence and get paid at the end of the month. I feel really upset carreer wise.

This sounds like such a hard situation. I understand why you are so unhappy and frustrated. But your plan to move sounds very promising. I would spend time researching and planning so when you get to Australia you are prepared to make the most of that opportunity. Who knows what might happen once you make this change. You are being very brave. Good Luck!

Maybe you need to talk with a counselor or a therapist. Looking back at your posts over the last four years, you've been unhappy, sad, anxious, crying uncontrollably over break ups, and emotionally and physically abused by your mother who suffers from depression. Depression does run in families. Just taking in all yours posts, it doesn't seem as if you've ever had any happiness in your life. You might be suffering from depression and you might need to address that problem before you can actually be happy. And I can tell you that the job may be making things worse. But you may want to seek out a professional for some help, advice and maybe some medication.

Consider applying at temp agencies. Don't just send them a resume, you need to make appointments to meet with them in order to be put on their 'active' roster. Apply at many agencies, they don't all work with the same companies. Don't get discouraged when they tell you they have nothing at the moment--agencies don't have jobs lying around waiting for applicants, they place from their active roster daily.

Temping will allow you to try out different companies and apply for jobs from within--and those are the jobs that don't get published to the public.

Archived