Is it ok to ask?

MayIask

Im in a new 1 year relationship. Is it ok to ask my son's mom if he has said what he wants for Christmas?

He lives with his mom. I get him every other weekend.

I asked my son what he wanted. He said he didn't know.

I asked my girlfriend for ideas. She gave me 1 idea.

My son's mom and I split up 6 years ago. She's been married for 2 years.

I agree that this is a normal parenting question.

Out of curiosity - who are you worried about upsetting? Your girlfriend or your ex?

The other option is if the child is old enough, just to bring him to the store to shop for something else. I can’t recall a single time I’ve ever been in a store with a child where they didn’t eventually say “Can I have this? (and this and this and this)?” or at least linger in an aisle looking at something.

Unfortunately there seems to be a severe lack of communication with your son and your son's mother for co-parenting purposes. Do not ask your new gf about your son. You need to get more in tune with your son and spend more one-on-one time with him and do not let this new gf interfere with that or take over this role. Most kids know exactly what they want for Christmas (and then some, lol), so that answer in itself is strange.

He lives with his mom. I get him every other weekend. I asked my son what he wanted. He said he didn't know.

agreed.. why wouldn't it be okay? as co-parents you obviously want your child to be happy, but also get an appropriate gift you both approve of.

instead of going about it as "what does he want" though - like you haven't been paying attention all eyar (MAKE NOTE: pay attention to your kid whn you have him and take little notes throughout the year of what he seems to like or mention to keep as gift ideas later!) - maybe ask her, "so what do you think would be a good gift for our son?" and you can work together to get him a terrific xmas gift (maybe a combined bigger one rather than separate small ones).

good luck and happy holidays!

• 2 years later...

Archived