How to be careful when being good friends with someone who is engaged.

Dimka

Hello!

So I met a new friend here at my university, I saw his live stream of a game and we found out that we go to the same school and have the same major, apparently we were at the same camping trip earlier this year! Anyways I'm a freshman (bi), and hes a junior, gay and engaged! Of course I support that fully and respect it too but since we have some common interests (aviation) we've been chatting a lot lately about aviation, life, and a little bit about ourselves. This is all over text but we both agree we should hangout soon.

How should I handle this new friendship? We've been texting a lot the last few days and we're both really chill, but I in no way want to intrude, impede, or affect his commitment to his fiance. His fiance is apparently the jealous type so I wanna be cautious we don't talk too much to draw attention. I want to have him as a friend (i dont have a lot), but I don't want to intentionally make things awkward out of the blue because he seems fine with us chatting like we've been.

So yeah, how should I go about building this friendship while not unintentionally intruding on his life plans?

Thanks!

Stay away.

Here’s a little bit of truth... if this was someone who you were NOT attracted to or someone that you didn’t see romantic possibilities with (ie: they were 500lbs with poor hygiene, and really old with a drinking problem or something), you would not be asking yourself this question. I’m sure you’ve met a lot of people who were engaged...

The truth is that you probably have a bit of a crush on him and/or you know that the level of texting is inappropriate.

If you are attracted to him and you respect his relationship, just stay away.

Well, you're female, aren't you? And he's male and gay. How would you be intruding on his life plans unless he swings both ways. right?

You're at college and college is all about hanging out with friends, so I don't see a problem.

I think the OP is male; otherwise, it would have no impact on a gay man.

OP, why doesn't the partner just join you.

It's up to him to decide if he wants to hang out with you or not. If you are still pining for your exbf and have a crush on this guy, maybe you need to be honest with yourself. Certainly you know the difference between two guys being friends and two guys being lovers, two guys being engaged, or two guys cheating, no? How do you act with other friends vs love interests?

Why not join some LGBT friendly organizations on campus and/or get on some gay/bi dating apps if loneliness is an issue?

I'm a freshman (bi), and hes a junior, gay and engaged! I want to have him as a friend

Archived