How long to wait to ask someone out after their breakup?

jsh12365

I met a woman a while ago that I was really interested in and she seemed to be in me as well, but she had recently gotten back with an ex. I distanced myself and hadn't heard from her since April. A couple of weeks ago she messaged me out of the blue and said we never talk anymore. We started messaging some. And a few days ago she told me that they she was single now. I had assumed she was when she contacted me for the first time since April, but she told me it had just actually happened that day. I don't think it was coincidence that she decided to contact me after so long and then to become single. I have been messaging some, but upon finding out how recent it was I'm not wanting to move too soon. Any advice on how to proceed?

Actually, after we had been messaging a few days after she reached out I wanted to know and asked what her situation was now and if she was single. She kind of freaked out, wanting to know how I knew. It had just happened that morning. I told her I didn't, just that her status didnt show her in a relationship anymore and I wondered why she decided to contact me now. That I thought she was, but just wanted to know for sure.

You'll be a nice filler while she works through her emotional garbage post-breakup. She has probably has always had an attraction to you, so in her feeling of loss and permanency of that loss, she reached out. If you're okay being a temporary or a rebound and just have some fun, that would be fine, *if* you can keep your own expectations in check. You do have to understand this is probably only going to be temporary. She sounds like she monkey-branches a little if she contacted you before the actual breakup. That is also a red flag. So it's really up to you if you just want to "go with it" or avoid it. I suspect that if you decide to go out, it will only be temporary. You'll fill a void. If you want more and you want long-term, next this girl and hold out for someone who's ready for long-term.

Sorry to say but it's almost insulting that she suddenly contacts you the day she breaks up. It's like lick my wounds and entertain me while I use you as a cushion to assuage my breakup. One way or the other she is seeking to use you. To make the bf jealous/come back. To keep her entertained while she renegotiates/tries to get back with him. To make it appear as if she "moved on" or as the rebound. I would pass and cease contact.

At best, you're going to come out of this as a rebound. Don't be that guy. Go back to your distancing; there's nothing in your post to suggest she's interested in you romantically, and it would be too soon after her breakup even if she was.

Do she and this guy have a long-term history of breaking up and then getting back together again? If so, all the more reason to avoid.

Archived