Finally getting help for anxiety.

limichelle

So my clinic I go too for my mental health is going to have a counselor after the Holidays. I suffer from a lot of anxiety and always have.

I have a hard time volunteering because of it. I have to force myself to do that. The psychiatrist told me medication only does so much and the rest I need coping skills.

I’m currently dating someone since the end of November. He’s mild mannered and easy going so that has a soothing effect on me whenever I’m around him.

My health also doesn’t help with the issues I have in regards as of late. I’m always nervous about it.

I feel my clinic is behind on getting me help for this. So I hope they can get me into see the counselor soon in January.

My life is going great in everything else. But I recognize I need help with slight agoraphobia and not stressing so much.

Good job!!

One of the biggest barriers to mental health (anxiety, depression, etc) is seeking help. Kudos to you for recognizing that you can use a little help and going for it! It’s such a positive step! A holiday gift to yourself!

It sounds like you are functioning fairly well - so maybe waiting for January is not so bad? The holiday time is probably a bit of a busy time for them, I would imagine.

Keep an eye out and if they don’t have you setup in January (or things are not going well), maybe you will need to look for alternatives.

But good for you for taking charge of your life! It sounds like you have a positive year ahead!

You have great insight. Good everything else is going well and you are addressing whatever anxiety there is in an intelligent way. The holidays are tough on everyone for so many reasons.

The psychiatrist told me medication only does so much and the rest I need coping skills. So I hope they can get me into see the counselor soon in January.

My life is going great in everything else.

Thank you all for your encouraging words of support!

The lady works specifically with anxiety and workbooks.

I feel so many doors of opportunity will open for me once I learn how to manage stress and anxiety.

I have been on anti anxiety medication for a long time. It was my crutch but I realize now I need more guidance and self help.

I think I internalize things more then I should. I also eat more when anxious.

So the opportunity’s I feel that will open up for me will be weight loss and going back to school.

CongrAts, Limichelle. Consider asking the clinic for a referral to a support group or some other means to help you learn more coping skills. You can also research coping skills online. You may want to try out any number of techniques to discover a combo that works best for you.

Have you learned 'square breathing' (aka 'box breathing')? It's a technique to practice every day so that it's already well-learned when you actually need to use it. It slows your heart rate and can reverse an attack before it becomes a full one.

Archived