Simplified Explanation of Paying for Masters Program

ChellyV

Badly need help in this please! I am reading a lot of different information online and am quite confused.

I am planning on pursuing an online MPA program, my selection is between 2 credible schools offering an accelerated program. I have a little experience in MA program financials back in 2003 but did not pursue it long enough to know what to do now. Practitioners of the job I have now are holders of Masters Degree and would like to bring myself at par, along with my desire to really learn the public sector.

Can someone please help me? Do I fill up a FAFSA and let the school handle it? Do I reach out to the Financial Aid office to fill out an application? Does a private loan handle it better?

Thanks so much in advance.

FAFSA first. You plug in your school info and your school decides scholarships and whatever. If you want a loan, you select that and then you get routed to the DOE loan site and they sell your loan to someone else. FAFSA first always.

Ooooh ok. Thank you!

MPA is Masters in Public Administration.

What is DOE? Thank you so much! I have filled out a FAFSA and I await acceptance letter from CSU and UIS.

Are you working in the public sector now? If so, I'd look into tuition reimbursement, and if not, I'd apply for lower level jobs that offer tuition reimbursement and consider the cost savings as part of my 'real' salary.

I say this as someone who has paid off my masters. You don't want to take on that expense if there are ANY other ways to creatively pursue the degree. While the degree may (or may not, depending on economic factors impacting hiring) build your eligibility for salary and grade level, it takes away from you on the other side of paying for it.

Consider whether the level and pay you hope to gain might be better off gained through promotions from a lower grade while gaining experience in your field and reimbursement for the classes taken.

Regardless, I wish you the best, and thank you for your desire to serve the public.

Research if your company has a tuition reimbursement plan. Check with your accountant about tax deductible training. Check with the financial aid office for student loans, scholarships, etc. Do you homework to seek financing. Avoid getting in debt. Biggest mistake people make in seeking higher/further education.

Archived