Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Depression in relationship

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    Why do you stay with him? You're not getting your needs met and he's not interested in getting help for his own depression. You are at least bright enough to get the help you need but he's just keeping you stagnated and bringing you down. Don't you think you'd be better off away from him just concentrate on getting yourself well? He's a lost cause really if he won't even get the help he needs and stick with it.
    His indifference and apathy will not improve no matter how much YOU put into a relationship where only one of you are trying.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear any of that but it is what it is.
    I agree. This is really unhealthy.

2. 12-08-2018, 02:15 AM

3. 12-08-2018, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by HealingLight
    Yeah, I think this man isn't meeting your emotional needs--depressed or not. You're depressed, yet still do your best to support him. He doesn't sound like he's willing to put in the small effort it would take to keep you, nor is he willing to do anything to change his own circumstances. I'm not convinced that this would change even if his mental health improved.

The worst part, though, is that you feel pressure to be miss susie sunshine. He's not going to find this in any girl, it's an unrealistic expectation. Note to self: no one will ever be happy 100% of the time and they shouldn't fear being shamed or having their relationship go in the crapper if they display the full range of human emotion occasionally.
    Maybe it's not that he's "unwilling" but rather that he's "unable." He's depressed and if you know anything about someone who is depressed and not getting the help they need (either through therapy or meds) then they just can not do for others what they can't even do for themselves.

It's hard as he is struggling with focusing on getting better too. When you love someone it's hard to see them struggling. So him seeing you struggling will make him down too.

Right now you may not be the best for eachother. It's great you are being proactive for your own mental health.

[Register to see the link]

I had posted this thread couple weeks back questioning this. My friend who has depression. Started dating a guy with depression.

I was interested to see other people's views. You can have a read through as it might help.

Wish you all the best :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice