I am really at a loss and astounded

My former boss was pretty mad when I left working days and recently ( yesterday ) she got my resignation for nights. I KNOW she got the email 100% because someone working with me last night was approached for the job.

I was very polite in my resignation.

Dear ,

December 20, will be my last day working for the ..... I have found I am too busy and can no longer work at night.

It was a pleasure to work for you and you have always been so kind to me. Thank you for all the opportunities you gave me .

It would be great if you would be able to write me a letter of reference.

Sincerely,

My best friend who also turned in her resignation got a reply and so far my boss has ignored my email.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounded like a lovely letter of resignation.

I work in HR and have seen my fair share of resignation letters.

Your letter was lovely. You'll be surprised how many will not include "It was a pleasure to work for you and you have always been so kind to me. Thank you for all the opportunities you gave me."

Sorry you boss has been a little petty by ignoring yours and responding to your friend.

Give it a couple of days. Then re-email and this time ask if they can confirm receipt of the email.

I was at her beck and call ALL the time day and night for 5 years and I always gave 1000%. You very very very seldom find employees like that and I think she is struggling, but this is life. It is time for me to move on because there is too much upheaval there that was severely affecting my physical and mental health. I have made my business a success which they never thought would happen. But I am too busy in my business now to work for them.

That sounded like a lovely letter of resignation.

I work in HR and have seen my fair share of resignation letters.

Your letter was lovely. You'll be surprised how many will not include "It was a pleasure to work for you and you have always been so kind to me. Thank you for all the opportunities you gave me."

Sorry you boss has been a little petty by ignoring yours and responding to your friend.

Give it a couple of days. Then re-email and this time ask if they can confirm receipt of the email.

I was thinking of leaving a Christmas card on her desk and killing her with kindness.;)

Well, does that mean you want to go back to working days, or are you quitting the company all together? It's a little vague about exactly what you're doing. And also saying you're too busy to work seems like a slap in the face too. Was this the job that you actually tried to quit but the boss pressured you into staying and working nights?

She's probably just pissed off. She didn't sound like a very good boss. And she's probably annoyed because she doesn't have anybody to replace you. I guess if she doesn't say anything in a day or two, you're going to have to call her and ask if she got your letter. And then be ready for some verbal abuse.

EDIT: I wrote it before all of the other responses.

I'm so sorry to hear that.

It is always painful when you have given your all to someone and a role.

For them to them disregard all your hard work my choosing to ignore an email.

Do you think it would take time for her to get your reference together. So she just wants to reply and attach that in the reply?

Sorry I try to find the good in people before thinking the worst.

Hopefully she does get back to you. As you deserve that at least.

Would she be angry you are leaving? Espicially where your best friend is also leaving?

Well, does that mean you want to go back to working days, or are you quitting the company all together? It's a little vague about exactly what you're doing. And also saying you're too busy to work seems like a slap in the face too. Was this the job that you actually tried to quit but the boss pressured you into staying and working nights?

She's probably just pissed off. She didn't sound like a very good boss. And she's probably annoyed because she doesn't have anybody to replace you. I guess if she doesn't say anything in a day or two, you're going to have to call her and ask if she got your letter. And then be ready for some verbal abuse.

No, I am not going back whatsoever at all. I have my own day home which keeps me busy from 6:30 AM to 5 PM.

I worked night as well for her and another dept. I will no longer be doing that. My other boss beautifully acknowledged my resignation and said it was a pleasure to know me.

What exactly are you expecting from your boss? You submitted your resignation, it was nice and polite. You shouldn't be asking for references in your resignation, btw. Your boss might be willing or not, you should be asking for that in person, not via your resignation letter. It might well be why she hasn't responded. She has two people leaving and her hands full. Since you are asking for something from her, you are going to get put off just because that's human nature.

If you just want confirmation that she got the notice, just ask directly to confirm. As for the letter, be patient and be ready to wait and possibly might need to ask again. If I remember correctly, you moved on precisely because the place is a bit of a disorganized mess, so don't expect for that to change?

I was thinking of leaving a Christmas card on her desk and killing her with kindness.;)

Haha that's exactly what I was going to do before leaving work. Not to be nasty. But I've had the rest of my teams Xmas gifts ready. I'll be in for my exit interview so will do what I will normally do.

It's a good shout. As why stoop to someone else's level and change who you are!

So leave the card :) 5 years is a long time. What is a card at the end of the day.

Good luck :)

What exactly are you expecting from your boss? You submitted your resignation, it was nice and polite. You shouldn't be asking for references in your resignation, btw. Your boss might be willing or not, you should be asking for that in person, not via your resignation letter. It might well be why she hasn't responded. She has two people leaving and her hands full. Since you are asking for something from her, you are going to get put off just because that's human nature.

If you just want confirmation that she got the notice, just ask directly to confirm. As for the letter, be patient and be ready to wait and possibly might need to ask again. If I remember correctly, you moved on precisely because the place is a bit of a disorganized mess, so don't expect for that to change?

Well, with my day home I don’t exactly have the time for a face to face social chat.

They also dropped the ball on me twice in one year by screwing me out almost all my hours twice in 9 months . Did they want me to hang around and go bankrupt?

Haha that's exactly what I was going to do before leaving work. Not to be nasty. But I've had the rest of my teams Xmas gifts ready. I'll be in for my exit interview so will do what I will normally do.

It's a good shout. As why stoop to someone else's level and change who you are!

So leave the card :) 5 years is a long time. What is a card at the end of the day.

Good luck :)

Thank you. I could also say hi to her at Mass and shake her hand and say , peace be with you. :)

Well, with my day home I don’t exactly have the time for a face to face social chat.

They also dropped the ball on me twice in one year by screwing me out almost all my hours twice in 9 months . Did they want me to hang around and go bankrupt?

Right, so like I said, the place is pretty sh$tty, so why are you expecting something different now that you've quit completely? Why astounded? I mean she is acting like business as usual, no? Kind of expected. If you just want confirmation, e-mail or text her to confirm. "Hey boss, please confirm you've received my resignation notice. Thanks much."

Right, so like I said, the place is pretty sh$tty, so why are you expecting something different now that you've quit completely? Why astounded? I mean she is acting like business as usual, no? Kind of expected. If you just want confirmation, e-mail or text her to confirm. "Hey boss, please confirm you've received my resignation notice. Thanks much."

I see your point. I guess I am astounded when people act like a t... but I shouldn’t be. But now I know she was only kissing my butt when I was busting it for her.

This is what I got from my other boss:

Hi ....,

I'm sad to hear you'll be leaving! It's been great getting to know you through the Centre.

I think it's a positive thing in one sense that your daycare initiative has taken off! Good for you, you should be proud!

We will connect again before you go, but thanks for messaging me to let me know.

Talk soon, Ok

Hi ....,

I'm sad to hear you'll be leaving! It's been great getting to know you through the Centre.

I think it's a positive thing in one sense that your daycare initiative has taken off! Good for you, you should be proud!

We will connect again before you go, but thanks for messaging me to let me know.

Talk soon, Ok

That was really nice.

Hopefully the other boss will follow through.

I know it's frustrating she got back to your friend and not you.

Let's hope there is a reason for her delay to you.

If not, what catfeeder suggested seems a good way to go.

Hi ....,

Talk soon, Ok

OK, so your resignation was acknowledged and the e-mail is very nice. Nobody else really needs to respond.

Please try not to take things like that personally. Sometimes work is just work and work relationships/friendships are just that - work. When you quit, people no longer feel like they need to do a thing. It's a lot like relationship NC.

Still, before getting really upset, maybe give things some time. With you and another person quitting and the place being a mess, likely your bosses are quite stressed out themselves. So long as someone in charge acknowledged your resignation, that's all that's needed. You can move on in peace.

OK, so your resignation was acknowledged and the e-mail is very nice. Nobody else really needs to respond.

Please try not to take things like that personally. Sometimes work is just work and work relationships/friendships are just that - work. When you quit, people no longer feel like they need to do a thing. It's a lot like relationship NC.

Still, before getting really upset, maybe give things some time. With you and another person quitting and the place being a mess, likely your bosses are quite stressed out themselves. So long as someone in charge acknowledged your resignation, that's all that's needed. You can move on in peace.

These are two DIFFERENT bosses from two entirely different departments that have nothing to do with each other .

I second the poster before me regarding the read receipt. It exist in outlook and gmail. Like that you have a proof that your boss received your resignation, else your boss may say she hasn't received anything, which may cause administrative trouble for you if she decides to play dirty.

In my workplace you must write the resignation letter at least 2 months before resigning. So you'd have to continue working 2 more months (in same cases just 1 month), which means you'd have opportunity to speak to her in person at work. But you're saying that you'd have to go to the workplace with all the kids to talk to her? Maybe I understood wrong.

In my workplace you must write the resignation letter at least 2 months before resigning. So you'd have to continue working 2 more months (in same cases just 1 month), which means you'd have opportunity to speak to her in person at work. But you're saying that you'd have to go to the workplace with all the kids to talk to her? Maybe I understood wrong.

Yup, you got it. I stopped working there in the daytime at mid Oct. I only work at night and she is not there. Usually, for your average job 2 weeks notice is a nice thing to do. They can’t hold us hostage . I run my own daycare now and I am not bringing 4 , 2 year olds and an 11 month old to turn in a letter.

I have seen a few people walk in state they quit and walk out.

Yup, you got it. I stopped working there in the daytime at mid Oct. I only work at night and she is not there. Usually, for your average job 2 weeks notice is a nice thing to do. They can’t hold us hostage . I run my own daycare now and I am not bringing 4 , 2 year olds and an 11 month old to turn in a letter.

I have seen a few people walk in state they quit and walk out.

From a legal standpoint does that particular manager need to acknowledge receipt or just the company acknowledgement, aka any manager is enough? If you want to cover yourself, then send a certified letter, receipt required and be done.

Where I live, notice is just polite. People can quit by simply not showing up to work anymore. No real notice required.

As for any kind of reference, going forward, the clients you already have will be your reference, not your old job or old manager. So I wouldn't worry about it much. Like I said, you left precisely because it was a mess, so why get upset about what you already knew.

Archived