Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I am really at a loss and astounded

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    OK, so your resignation was acknowledged and the e-mail is very nice. Nobody else really needs to respond.

Please try not to take things like that personally. Sometimes work is just work and work relationships/friendships are just that - work. When you quit, people no longer feel like they need to do a thing. It's a lot like relationship NC.

Still, before getting really upset, maybe give things some time. With you and another person quitting and the place being a mess, likely your bosses are quite stressed out themselves. So long as someone in charge acknowledged your resignation, that's all that's needed. You can move on in peace.
    These are two DIFFERENT bosses from two entirely different departments that have nothing to do with each other .

I second the poster before me regarding the read receipt. It exist in outlook and gmail. Like that you have a proof that your boss received your resignation, else your boss may say she hasn't received anything, which may cause administrative trouble for you if she decides to play dirty.

In my workplace you must write the resignation letter at least 2 months before resigning. So you'd have to continue working 2 more months (in same cases just 1 month), which means you'd have opportunity to speak to her in person at work. But you're saying that you'd have to go to the workplace with all the kids to talk to her? Maybe I understood wrong.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Annia
    In my workplace you must write the resignation letter at least 2 months before resigning. So you'd have to continue working 2 more months (in same cases just 1 month), which means you'd have opportunity to speak to her in person at work. But you're saying that you'd have to go to the workplace with all the kids to talk to her? Maybe I understood wrong.
    Yup, you got it. I stopped working there in the daytime at mid Oct. I only work at night and she is not there. Usually, for your average job 2 weeks notice is a nice thing to do. They can’t hold us hostage . I run my own daycare now and I am not bringing 4 , 2 year olds and an 11 month old to turn in a letter.

I have seen a few people walk in state they quit and walk out.

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    Yup, you got it. I stopped working there in the daytime at mid Oct. I only work at night and she is not there. Usually, for your average job 2 weeks notice is a nice thing to do. They can’t hold us hostage . I run my own daycare now and I am not bringing 4 , 2 year olds and an 11 month old to turn in a letter.

From a legal standpoint does that particular manager need to acknowledge receipt or just the company acknowledgement, aka any manager is enough? If you want to cover yourself, then send a certified letter, receipt required and be done.

Where I live, notice is just polite. People can quit by simply not showing up to work anymore. No real notice required.

As for any kind of reference, going forward, the clients you already have will be your reference, not your old job or old manager. So I wouldn't worry about it much. Like I said, you left precisely because it was a mess, so why get upset about what you already knew.

Originally Posted by DancingFool
    From a legal standpoint does that particular manager need to acknowledge receipt or just the company acknowledgement, aka any manager is enough? If you want to cover yourself, then send a certified letter, receipt required and be done.

Where I live, notice is just polite. People can quit by simply not showing up to work anymore. No real notice required.

As for any kind of reference, going forward, the clients you already have will be your reference, not your old job or old manager. So I wouldn't worry about it much. Like I said, you left precisely because it was a mess, so why get upset about what you already knew.
    I had different bosses for different depts. The one who acknowledged manages the youth centre. The one who didn’t reply manages casual childcare and childcare programs. The manager of the actual daycare I told her verbally when I was still there she was fine with that.

This is our community centre on base. Right now everything is a shyte show because the executive director loves to change up all the programs constantly throwing people in and out of work. The executive director is above everyone and if managers say things she doesn’t like or want she walks out of meetings and won’t talk to you or fires your butt. And peeons like me she doesn’t care about.

On the legality front, read the paperwork you signed when you started working. It will specifically mention the requirements for alerting the organization of your resignation (it may not suffice to do verbal, email, or emailing your manager only depending not he company).

I have always made sure to email and cc: (or alternatively print out hard copies of my resignation) to both my immediate manager and HR. If all else fails, alerting HR is always “official” since they are the ones that deal with the legalities and paperwork of starting/stopping employment. So if you haven’t already, ensure IMMEDIATELY that HR receives your resignation notice and acknowledges it.

If your manager continues to ignore or be non-responsive on something as legal-related as this - that’s their problem. you did YOUR part with them.

good luck with the new business and congratulations. We all wish we could be self-employed and run our own business rather than work for somebody else. Quite an accomplishment so congratulations!

Originally Posted by thisisrichey
    On the legality front, read the paperwork you signed when you started working. It will specifically mention the requirements for alerting the organization of your resignation (it may not suffice to do verbal, email, or emailing your manager only depending not he company).

I have always made sure to email and cc: (or alternatively print out hard copies of my resignation) to both my immediate manager and HR. If all else fails, alerting HR is always “official” since they are the ones that deal with the legalities and paperwork of starting/stopping employment. So if you haven’t already, ensure IMMEDIATELY that HR receives your resignation notice and acknowledges it.

If your manager continues to ignore or be non-responsive on something as legal-related as this - that’s their problem. you did YOUR part with them.

good luck with the new business and congratulations. We all wish we could be self-employed and run our own business rather than work for somebody else. Quite an accomplishment so congratulations!
    There is no HR. I couldn’t tell you where the paperwork is it was 5 years ago. I don’t think they even have me paperwork. Either way what are they going to do ? Have me not work there? Yay!

Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~

Oh ok, now I get it.

You could also send a letter with reception notice (I don't know the term in English)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice