I broke the no contact rule with my ex by begging him to which of course he said no and in an week I was invited to a party to my former work place (he still works there).Should i go to this event knowing he will be there especially after i made a fool out of myself by begging him to get back together?

I don’t want him to think I am going there only to see him and that this is a way of stalking him or making him take me back but also I want to enjoy seeing my old colleagues with which I stayed in contact after I left my workplace.

Thank you so much for the advice, the problem is I feel like I will always avoid him and run if i don't go and I also feel ashamed to face him, I don't want to reconcile with this person or to speak with him, do you think it will end badly because he might cause a scene?

Don't go!

It won't end well.

Sit back and think of what you have to gain from this party...

Seeing him after begging and being all vulnerable will make this all worst.

He knows you know he will be there. So he will know you are only going to see him!

Why give him that satisfaction? You begged it didn't work (as it never does). You go to a party, he will feel like "top dog"

Eh, going to disagree here. Assuming you are all adults, you can very much go. You don't need to talk to your ex outside of a simple head nod acknowledging his existence if you happen to pass each other by. Go have fun, talk to your old friends. Only caveat is be sure that you will not get emotional seeing him and create drama. Unless this party is tiny, you should have plenty of room to avoid him.

It's actually quite a large party, and I am to shy to create any drama

There you go then. You just need to be honest with yourself about two things - how will you feel seeing him, meaning will it ruin your mood. Second how will you feel/react if he brings a date with him and are you mentally/emotionally prepared for something like that. It may seem unlikely, but it can happen. So be sure that you really are there to have fun with people you like and can actually ignore him and not end up leaving in tears with your mood wrecked for weeks afterward.

Go. Do what you want regardless of him. Just avoid and be polite. Don't drink too much or engage in conversation with him. Avoid and sidestep any conversation about him with a simple "oh" and change the subject. Circulate and enjoy all your friends and think of him as just some employee that is there.

I was invited to a party to my former work place. I want to enjoy seeing my old colleagues with which I stayed in contact after I left my workplace.

I'm on the "go" team if you think you can act in a professional, non-emotional manner. Considering you just begged for him back last week, it seems unlikely to be the case, but only you know the truth of the matter.

if you're still feeling vulnerable, mixing booze and seeing him in person may be an unnecessarily painful evening where you end up embarrassing yourself further (and in front of coworkers, no less). I would sit it out if I were you.

Archived