Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Thread: Talking about our jobs on a date

Talking about our jobs on a date

Hello! One of the first things that I expect we'll talk about on a date is what we do for a living.

1. What are great questions to ask the person about his/her job?

2. How can I make the jobs conversation go further if I'm not at all familiar with the other person's work? For example, what if the other person is an internal auditor?

Thank you for the advice.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Voltronic81
    Hello! One of the first things that I expect we'll talk about on a date is what we do for a living.

1. What are great questions to ask the person about his/her job?

2. How can I make the jobs conversation go further if I'm not at all familiar with the other person's work? For example, what if the other person is an internal auditor?

Thank you for the advice.
    But there are so many more interesting things to discuss other than someoneís work.

Why so focused on wanting to discuss their job?

Normally someone will ask me what I do for work and if I like it (pretty basic), but I can say that because I spend so much time at work, I really donít want the conversation with a date to be dominated with discussions about what I do for a living.

If the person Iím on a date with wants to discuss their work, thatís fine, but I wouldnít want the conversation to be focused solely on that. If you are interested in their work, just go with the flow. Ask them to clarify exactly what it is that they do if youíre unsure.

Donít you want to hear more about what someone is looking for, their interests, what they like to do for fun, family, etc.?

Platinum Member
    My husband and I were in the same field the first time we dated many years ago. On our first date he asked me why I chose our field and I believe he wanted to make sure I was ambitious and that Iíd chosen our field for a good reason. What he didnít know was that I had a really good story about it - so it made our lunch date more interesting. I personally didnít ask about jobs specifically on a first date - it was fine if it came up. I liked to know about what the person enjoyed doing - like books he liked or theater or other art forms - and where heíd traveled or wanted to travel. I also liked to hear about where he grew up and his family and friends.

Multiple accounts are not allowed. Thread closed.

Give Advice
Ask For Advice