Dating Ship Crew/Sailors - Experiences? How do-able is this?

JaneDough098

I recently met a really great guy via Tinder. The only problem is he's ship crew/2nd officer on a yacht and works 10 weeks on/10 weeks off. He seems great and I'm prepared to give this very new (dating a month) LDR a go. We text every day, he seems kind, generally lovely and interested. Advice? Thoughts? Am I an idiot or is dating someone like this logistically possible? What are your experiences? Can anyone offer some advice?

Have you met in person yet? Do you live near each other? If his schedule is too difficult and lonely, it would be best to pass and keep your options open. Try contacting and meeting men who you can start a viable dating situation with. Don't strive for improbable text-relationships.

I recently met a really great guy via Tinder. The only problem is he's ship crew/2nd officer on a yacht and works 10 weeks on/10 weeks off. We text every day, he seems kind, generally lovely and interested. Advice? Thoughts? Am I an idiot or is dating someone like this logistically possible? What are your experiences? Can anyone offer some advice?

Oh, yes. We have spent the past month together and had a great time. I'm aware of the logistical difficulty but I'm also able to overcome it as I'm self employed/have no other obligations. Money/Distance is do-able and we got on well. We spent 4 days together last week and dated before that and both agreed we'd like to see each other again. That said, I"m acutely aware of the point that you make.

Be careful. Take your time. Don't invest too much emotion. Been there done that. It could be lovely. But my experience was that there was a reason my ex lived on a ship. And the reason was -- he liked living in fantasy land. When it came time to put his money where his mouth was (I.e. Commit to the million fantastic promises made and all the dreamy planning Thereof.. He started with the push pull stuff. And wouldn't you know he started it the minute he was due to end his assignment and would have had real time and a real future to build instead of short trips and visits. For once, I saw it happening and pulled the plug. And he let me. I am so glad I did. He would have kept up the drama fantasy parade going for years if I let him. (note this person was someone I'd known for years off and on). Having said that... Trust your gut. It's always right. IM me if you like

I recently met a really great guy via Tinder. The only problem is he's ship crew/2nd officer on a yacht and works 10 weeks on/10 weeks off. He seems great and I'm prepared to give this very new (dating a month) LDR a go. We text every day, he seems kind, generally lovely and interested. Advice? Thoughts? Am I an idiot or is dating someone like this logistically possible? What are your experiences? Can anyone offer some advice?

These scenarios are almost always fraud. Long-distance with a job that keeps them unavailable for any level of normalcy. It wouldn't surprise me if two weeks from now, he's asking you to do something financially related. He may not ask you for money outright...he's putting out the feelers. He may have done so already. I'd be wary...in fact, I wouldn't even entertain it. These guys are flowery and tug at your romantic heart strings and really smather it on thick. How vague is he about daily life, family, growing up, and other details? Have you picked up on some inconsistencies?

Clearly I see this whole scenario as a red flag. I vote no.

Pay attention to fwdthinker as well.

one lady i became good friends with ended up turning her life around and marrying somebody in the exact same field. she then naturally learned the business herself and has helped him with is business and now travels the world. not too shabby for a semi-sickly disabled person who felt no hope and was “stuck at home” for years until she met him and had the same worries as you eh?

i’ve lost touch with her now and miss her a lot - but have a smile on my face because i know she’s traveling around the world and her life has turned around and she’s completely fulfilled.

LDR’s are NOT for most people - and there will be challenges... especially during the lonely times for both.. especially if you’re going thru a rougher time and they’re gone. But as with anything in relationships.. there is no “yes and no” —- just a series of obstacles. And it is up to each couple to decide if the inherent obstacles are worth it to work out, or not.

A lot of times the answer is, “no.. this obstacle is not workable for us”. So you will have to figure that out together and within yourself.

Good luck!

Archived