LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Going forward with a grievance?

Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Was there more? Because none of what you wrote seems like racism to me.

A couple of weeks ago a coworker asked me and a group of other coworkers if any of us had mixed heritage. It was a fun conversation. Now, he didn't ask everyone in the company that question, so would that mean he is racist?

Did she call you or refer to you specifically by the offensive "P" word?

There must be more to your claim of racism, I presume.
    No I would not say that is racist one bit. I've had people ask of my hertiage.

It was the build up of everything else. That made me realise she had a problem with black people.

Then using the "P" word not directly to me but within the office. It's like even if it was not directed to me. I've never heard anyone say the "N" word in the office. In fact someone got fired for singing a poem with the "N" word within his work place. As it is not professional. Espicially if you work in HR.

Don't essentially ask about my mum's ne only to expect my mum to have a more ethnic name. As when I came out with Susan she was like oh so does that mean she was born here.

I personally don't believe she is racist. But she is definitely ignorant.

Personally I don't want to pursue the racism thing. Despite the employee advice people saying there is a case for one. It's embarrassing for me and I don't want to ruin her reputation.

It was more the invasion of my privacy.

She asked me what form on contraception I am on out of context.

Asking infront of the whole office if I had sex with my partner. I think that is highly unprofessional. As I've never spoke with her as a friend about my dating life. Always kept it professional. Call me old fashion but I like to keep my sex life private outside of the office.

She went on the system to find my middle name to expose it to the office even though I said I was not comfortable with it.

She came to my desk once and asked me to unlock my phone as it was . By this point she had ruined my confidence that I just gave it to her. She was my manager. I know I shouldn't. She went to her desk where I couldn't see her and proceed to message our colleague. It was no emergency.

She read my messages which was an invasion.

There are countless other things that she did which accumulated to me leaving.

Surely there is a policy at work about racial slurs?
    Originally Posted by Jellybean9
    I am fortunate to of been born in a beautiful and accepting country.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Surely there is a policy at work about racial slurs?
    After Boltruns comment it makes me feel maybe it wasn't a racial slur? Maybe all she was saying was incredibly normal.

I never voiced it as it's such a sensitive thing.

I had been applying for work and was planning on finding one. Working my months notice and leave without causing any issue.

All I have in writing is her poor mangerial support which is what I was going to flag up in the exit interview.

All their policies are on the intranet. I have no access to anything now that I'm on Garden Leave.

I never looked into it before as I never planned on ever raising it as an issue.

I mentioned to people following this outcome and they felt that her remarks were somewhat racist and I should mention it alongside the lack of support comments during my exit interview.

Come on, it's not that confusing.
    "Are you Scandinavian?" normal conversation
    "N or P word" racial slur.
    After Boltruns comment it makes me feel maybe it wasn't a racial slur?

I mean, the "n word" developed within a context of the forced emigration and enslavement of millions of Africans, their subsequent forced servitude, Jim Crow, segregation, lynchings, etc. With respect to the history of Pakistains as an entire ethnic group, I'm not sure the extent to which the use of "Paki" in an Aussie context can relate. Particularly in the context of Australia, where pretty much everyone finds whatever excuse they can to come up with two-syllable versions of a word, I'm not sure that's a stink I would raise, especially considering you seem to have more significant grievances, relatively speaking. Not defending her using the word as I think, for sheer self-preservation if nothing else, it's probably best to avoid any word that could be considered by anyone to be a pejorative in the workplace. It's not a word I'd personally ever use. I just don't think it will serve you to bring up last minute hearsay of it, particularly if you know the higher personnel and the culture supports her.

Regarding the phone, was it supplied by the company or was it your personal device you acquired yourself?

And, again, you could give us a list of 100 perfectly understandable complaints, but it's up to you how much of a headache it'd be worth and what tangible evidence you've got to support your case. Anyone and their mother can tell you that you've got a case when taking your account as gospel. Until you've sat down with someone who would actually represent you for an actual consultation and laid out all you've got to offer, I wouldn't take the claims of a hotline or forum too seriously.

I'm actual from the UK.

Like I said I've never had an issue with this sort of thing before.

I was happy to go with just the mangerial side and invasion of privacy.

It was my family member who is in a high profile HR dept. herself suggested I go forward with the race related stuff.

That said you have made me open my eyes about the use of "P" word. She is Australian but had lived on the U.K for 11 years so surely would know it's not a socially acceptable term?

I don't know I can't assume what someone else knows or does not know.

It was my personal phone. I had to take it out of my desk drawer for her.

I'm foolish as she made me feel incredibly intimated with all the other stuff.

You are right! That is what I'm struggling with. I've never had to deal with anxiety before. It's not worth my health for going forward with this.

Just feel like it's not fair she gets away treating people like this. What happens if she does this to the next person? Nothing is on record. At least if it's on record they can reference back to it.
    As my manager will only get a slap on the risk. Might make her be more aware of herself and not have someone get to the stage I have.

What does filing a grievance entail that has you so shook up?

Does the process involve hearings and stuff you'd need to be involved in? If not, then you already wrote your issues in the resignation letter, so why not just copy those over to the form and send it?

Originally Posted by catfeeder
    What does filing a grievance entail that has you so shook up?

Does the process involve hearings and stuff you'd need to be involved in? If not, then you already wrote your issues in the resignation letter, so why not just copy those over to the form and send it?
    Sorry I should have explained.

It is basically a formal complaint or concern you raise with an employer.

Can be about things relating to your job role. Not getting a promotion. Your pay. They way you have been treated at work or Discrimination.

You start of by sorting out the problem informally like I did with the head of HR. But she brushed it off.

Then in writing. That was going to be my desk step but I was signed off work as sick.

I decided to hand in my resignation letter instead and not file the formal grievance. As you tend to file for grievance if you want to stay and the matter resolved. Or you are leaving and want to go to a tribunal.

I did not go into details as why but referred to the lack of mangerial support lead to this decision to leave and my deteriorating health due to "work stress".

I was going to walk away. But head of HR said she will raise a grievance if I want to and get the complaint in writing. With dates and times of all incidents.

That means writing all I've told you and the rest of it.

Once it is in writing I will have to attend a meeting. This will be with someone with HR - which is awkward as they are involved in the matter. The member it's about. So that's two people in my team and me!

I can only take with me a union representative. But I don't have one as I'm not part of a union (basically some government support thing). Or a colleague, no one in my office would want to get involved. I don't blame them. So essentially I'll be alone with the head of HR who loves my manager and my manager who is a bully.

So that's what I'm scared of.

But people are claiming I go ahead because you can get settlement pay. Which is rare as they are a massive company and I'm just one person. Without the money for decent lawyers.

Everyone is advising me to go forward as why should my manager get away with basically the state I'm in now.

Anxiety which I've never had before to this degree. Jobless as it became too much with a mortgage and having to support myself.

But I see it as I brought this on myself to be fair. So it seems silly going forward.

Leaving a job is not the time to cash in and try to build a case inventing "discrimination" and "work related illness". Yes they will have all sorts of attorneys. And you will lose not only a bogus frivolous case you will do more even damage to your job search than you have already done by making your resignation letter into a gripe diatribe.

These "people" are not too smart.
    people are claiming I go ahead because you can get settlement pay.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice