Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My sweet 15-week old kitten keeps us awake all night - any tips?

My sweet 15-week old kitten keeps us awake all night - any tips?

After our 14-year old cat died in September, we decided to get a new kitten a few weeks ago. She is sweet and friendly and a pure joy. We confined her to one room the first couple days, with barriers. She seemed happy, but soon showed interest in the rest of the house and started jumping over barriers. After about 10 days, we let her have full access to the house and she seems comfortable. She chases her toys around, and seems to have bonded with my husband. She will walk over me to get to him and curl up in his lap.
    Since she has access to the full house, she is also able to sleep with us at night. I put a kitty pillow on the floor but she has no interest in it. She follows us into the bedroom and will immediately go under the bed and stay there until the middle of the night. We are woken up when she scratches at the bed trying to climb up. If we pick her up on the bed with us she won't leave my husband alone. She walks on his back and sits down, if he rolls over she will move over closer to him, she licks his head, if he bends his arm she will position herself inside his elbow. If we put her down on the floor, she just sits beside the bed and meows. Soon, she will be big enough to jump up on her own.
    Does our little kitty have separation anxiety, or is she still adjusting to her new home?
    Are there any ideas on how we can keep her happy at night so we can get a good night's sleep?
    Thanks.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Our cats just sleep with us. She is bonding with you and she is young. As she gets older and spayed she will calm down.
    Last edited by ~Seraphim ~; 11-27-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Sorry to hear about you 14yo cat, it's never easy.

Aww glad you have a little kitten about the place.

Well my girls are 13 now! But when we got the second one she was very young when we brought her home. She was incredibly needy and used to cry all night.

My mum had to have her sleep in with her. She literally only fell asleep from laying on my mum's chest. My mum had fears of rolling over and crushing her in the night.

The first couple of months wasn't easy but she eventually grew out if it.

I think by time she was around three months. Funny enough after being spayed she was very independent and never meowed in the night.

It was just a rough couple of months until she settled in.

But we have always let the cats have free roam and sleep with her.

Just when they are bigger less fear of crushing them. Sorry I have no tips to help just a case of riding it out.

I'm not one who believes in those crates but I know people do that with new kittens and puppies at night.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    I would just ride it out. Cats can稚 be made to do things like dogs do. They just get resentful and bad behaviour results. She will calm down. I was never fond of female cats. I have only ever had one , all the others I have had are male. I presently have 3 male cats and 2 are brothers.

Aww that's so funny how different people are.

Always got on better with female cats in my life.

I agree with you. Ride it out. She is a kitten, it will pass in good time.

Cats are very independent it's hard to get them to do what we want.

Cats are nocturnal, so the short amount of sleep she gets under the bed is enough to energize her--and then she wants everyone to have a great time with her.

Consider playing with her a lot before bed, preferably on the bed so she might become more comfortable sleeping on top of it later on. She might sleep longer if you tire her with the playing, and if she falls asleep on top of the bed, you'll have less of an issue with her ups and downs on it.

Another idea is to put 'climable' stuff near the bed and teach her during play time how to use it to get up and down from the bed. This could be an ottoman with a pillow or box near it to create steps.

Thank you for taking in another cat for a good home. Once you survive this toddler time, you will feel deserving of a medal--and you'll be right.

Originally Posted by Jellybean9
    Aww that's so funny how different people are.

Always got on better with female cats in my life.

I agree with you. Ride it out. She is a kitten, it will pass in good time.

Cats are very independent it's hard to get them to do what we want.
    I find neutered male cats very loving. ❤️

Platinum Member
    I remember you posting about your 14 year old cat in September, GingerMay. I知 sorry about this loss.

I知 happy to hear about this new little addition to your household though!

Ah, so cute! Reading your post makes me miss the two kittens I grew up with.

It sounds like your kitten is being exactly that, a kitten. She痴 playful, curious and adjusting to her new family & home.

Back in the day, when my family took in our two little cats, we kept them in separate rooms over night (these rooms had doors though that we closed - no barriers). It took them some time to adjust to their new surroundings. In time, they adjusted, but they were still curious and playful.

I知 sure you値l find your kitten will calm down a bit once she familiarizes herself with her new home.

Congrats on your new kitten though! I知 living vicariously through you and your story. Sometimes they池e like little kids - have to keep an eye on them! Lol. But love their little personalities.
    Last edited by milly007; 11-27-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Sounds like she's coming on to your husband 🙀
    Originally Posted by GingerMay
    she won't leave my husband alone. She walks on his back and sits down, if he rolls over she will move over closer to him, she licks his head, if he bends his arm she will position herself inside his elbow.

Ooooooh lol kittens are so mischievous! There is a reason they are so cute when they are little, because it makes it easier to put up with their naughty behavior! :)

Your kitten is going through separation anxiety, all kittens do when they are separated from their moms. I have had many kittens and cats and what you are describing sounds normal for a kitten of that age. Cats are nocturnal so they tend to wake up and night to play, eat, etc... to a degree we need to accept this about them, but I have some ways of mitigating the behaviors.

I found that playing with them a lot during the day, especially before bed, will make them sleep more in the night. Also, try to avoid free feeding during the day and feed right before bed so her tummy is full and doesn't keep her awake. Kittens and cats get more anxious when they haven't had enough stimulation so it's very important for their well being and your sanity that they have lots of play time.

That all being said, some cats are just more needy than others. My Ragdoll is very high needs and likes to follow me around yelling at me for attention lol... all very cute during the day but not so much at 4am... so I have trained him to leave me alone by closing the bedroom door on him. He might persist for a few minutes but will generally back off and go play with his partner in crime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice