Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does there seem to be a growing narcissistic epidemic among the young?

Why does there seem to be a growing narcissistic epidemic among the young?

I've always thought narcissism was a personality disorder you were born with or caused by something that happened to you due to severe trauma in your childhood, but why does it seem to be a "normal" thing amongst millennials and gen z?

The older you get the more entitled you believe youth is.

I've got plenty of generalized gripes about my generation, but when there are some boomers out there who can go into a 10-minute tirade over a cashier handing them their change bills first or pressing 1 for English, I find it difficult to believe we've got the market cornered on narcissistic moments or feelings of entitlement.

And you are correct in that narcissism is a diagnosed disorder when pervasive and extreme enough. That doesn't mean anyone who has narcissistic tendencies would inherently qualify, though.

Platinum Member
    Mental health is being recognised now , big time ...finally it is a thing .....thankgoodness

With this has come more knowledge

With that has come more labels

Now we have everyone and their dog adopting these traits to justify , explain and rationalise anothers or their own behaviour .

Are cats narcissists too? 🙀

Platinum Member
    Glad you asked. These kids were spoiled rotten, coddled, and excessively praised for everything from using the toilet to making a doodle on a piece of paper. Their parents made them feel like they were the most important thing in their lives, and the most important thing in the world. They all have inflated egos, at least until the first time they fail at something or they can't have something that they want, and then they go off the deep end by getting depressed, becoming bipolar, or having dissociative personal disorders.

Of course, I'm speaking in generalities. There are some great, normal kids out there. They're tech savy, they want to run their own businesses, and they want to teach the world to sing (in perfect harmony). But for some of the misfits, the attention that their parents have lavished on them have created the idea that they're special and everyone else is inferior. The trauma in this instance was being told they're special.

But aren't we all special snowflakes? 😥

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    But aren't we all special snowflakes? 😥
    wiseman have you been smoking my sh1t tonight

But yes , for one , I am a special snowflake thankyou very much

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    The older you get the more entitled you believe youth is.

I'd change that to the older you get the more entitled youth believe youth is!

Quite frankly I think the word "narcissist" is just the new flavor of the month. You almost never heard that word/term until recently when every second person is now suddenly a narcissist. Now it seems everyone knows someone who's a narcissist, anyone who's anyone is suddenly narcissist. To me it feels like the world has gone mad, lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice