Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does there seem to be a growing narcissistic epidemic among the young?

It's the way parents are raising their kids, and society. They are definitely coddled and told they're all "winners" and "special" even if they aren't. some on... PARTICIPATION trophies?????
    Also, it's what society is rewarding now. Look at YouTube. Look at SocialMedia. It's all about me me me me me.
    When we stop paying attention to and rewarding narcissists - then it'll stop.

Our whole society is narcissistic. Movies, TV, and advertisements have all contributed to it over the last century, but the advent of social media has really kicked it into overdrive. "Narcissism" is named for the legend of Narcissus, a beautiful man who fell in love with his own reflection. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. are like big mirrors for people, and its amazing to see how people fawn over the images they create of themselves. I don't have to be on it to see it because all around me people are filming themselves, taking selfies, etc. People under a certain age aren't even aware that self-obsession is abnormal and don't even attempt to hide it. It's amazing. I can't imagine that this is a good trend, but we shall see....

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Capricorn3
    Quite frankly I think the word "narcissist" is just the new flavor of the month. You almost never heard that word/term until recently when every second person is now suddenly a narcissist. Now it seems everyone knows someone who's a narcissist, anyone who's anyone is suddenly narcissist. To me it feels like the world has gone mad, lol.
    Exactly caps ...begining of the year every man and their dog had frickin bi polar

Originally Posted by pippy longstocking
    Exactly caps ...begining of the year every man and their dog had frickin bi polar
    Yep. Itís the new flavor of the month.

The irony of diagnosing everyone and their mama a narcissist is the action in itself is narcissistic!

ďWell if we breakup and youíre treating me coldly, that must mean youíre a narcissist and abusing me. ďĒ The thought process is incredibly self absorbed because it itís core youíre ignoring the other persons wishes to not have anything to do with you anymore, youíre assuming they are no longer treating you like a lover because thereís something wrong with them mentally. That they were bad partners because theyíre emotionally handicapped. It absolves you from taking any blame or responsibility. Well itís not my fault I chose a cheater and a liar, heís a NARCISIST!

Call me crazy but I kinda find the phenomenon fascinating. Sometimes if Iím bored Iíll check my email spam box for quora updates and holy cow! Itís a literal circle jerk!

Theyíre all Ďnarcissist expertsí Iím not even kidding itíll be in their title and they go on and on and on like theyíre scholars!

And the questions will be like:

Will my narcissist come back after their done discarding me?

What can You text to a narcissist before You finally have NC with them again?

Do narcissists really stop thinking about you?

What terrifies a narcissist deep down to their core?

Will a narcissist devalue you no matter how good of supply you may be, even if he risks losing you?

These are all real questions people asked. To me, itís an obvious pattern. People who are engaged in a game of who wins the breakup and people who have taken on labeling their ex as a coping mechanism. Itís just a giant den of codependence. A big reason I love ENA is while coddling does happen at times for the most part, of you ask a question, youíre going to get an honest, well thought out, response from people of all walks of life, instead of getting pulled into the abyss of obsession that is the diagnosis club.

Sorry for ranting again I find the subject super interesting.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Are cats narcissists too? 🙀
    Definitely!

That and Borderline......my ex is CRAZY!

Iíd say social media and coddling in universities are a big factor in this.

Platinum Member
    Self absorbed. Self centered.

Narcissism, from my understanding, is a diagnosable personality disorder.

So, again, self absorbed and self centered rather than narcissistic.

Platinum Member
    You can be rude, self absorbed and self centred without being a narcissist.

Teenagers have been obsessed with image, fashion and their appearance for as long as I can remember - it's just that today's youngsters have more opportunity to share it with others than previous generations did. I think for many people, a sense of entitlement and thinking you know it all is just part of growing up, and in that respect today's teenagers are no different to any others.

On the other hand, I find many young people to be great. Certainly in the UK, the kind of customer service you get from the youngsters is so very much better than that from many older people; they don't have the inter-generational hangups that my generation did; they are less racist and bigoted, and more open to other cultures and experiences. I work with people of a wide range of ages, both as clients and co-workers. I enjoy the lack of cynicism and open-ness of the youngsters.

And then... the scariest narcissist of the lot, the one who genuinely can wreak carnage on a global scale, stopped being young an awfully long time ago....

Platinum Member
    Starting around the eighties, many families went from parent-centric to child-centric.

Good for the pill-pushers, cell phones and fancy imported car makers but bad for all those around them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice