Want to make a difference in my work

successthis

Hello,

This is a pretty technical request for advice. I am writing an article and I am comparing some things there using some quantitative and qualitative data. I want to present each characteristic in a table and already used some excel charts and things, but was looking for something more different,. Like Spreadsheet is too much mainstream. Do you know any other way to present comparison between things apart from excel charts? I mean something that would make a difference.

Thanks a lot!

well... in the end it's not HOW you created the charts but the information within the charts.

its the differnt ways you put the numbers together to try and find interesting trends and information FROM the numbers.

This is a growing field (and lucrative field) called "Data Science" - which requires programming skills, database skills, a mind that wants to look for different ways to figure out the different interpretation numbers can tell you what's going on, etc.

Data Science is far too complicated to just "do on a whim" as it requires some pretty heavy duty skills (multiple of them) - including something new called "machine learning" (which I equate to AI - how to program a system that can learn and create meaningful numbers on its own as they come in).

For your purposes now - its about figruing out what kinds of data you want to find, and how you think it tells a story, and then creating illustrations on how to display those numbers that makes the greatest impact for your presentation.

Good luck.

The way to develop a successful presentation is to first decide what message you want your audience to come away with, and then work back from there to tell a compelling story. What do you want them to know about your topic? Are you saying one is better than the other? Are you trying to sell them a particular outcome? Do you want them to adopt a new way of doing something? What's in it for them? Why should they care about what you are saying? How is what you are saying different from what others have said about the same topic? Who is your audience going to be? How will this information help them?

Stephen Covey has a simple way of describing how to capture your audience from his 7 habits book. Establish credibility through your research, align yourself to their needs using empathy, and use logical reasoning.

http://sourcesofinsight.com/stephen-covey-on-how-to-present-more-effectively/

Hello,

This is a pretty technical request for advice. I am writing an article and I am comparing some things there using some quantitative and qualitative data. I want to present each characteristic in a table and already used some excel charts and things, but was looking for something more different,. Like Spreadsheet is too much mainstream. Do you know any other way to present comparison between things apart from excel charts? I mean something that would make a difference.

Thanks a lot!

I don't know what field you are in but as someone who is presented with information and has been over many years I don't care if it is "mainstream" or not but whether the presenter has taken his/her audience into account and how they will best understand and gain from the information. It reminds me of a local commercial. The woman (a real life person) explained she went to her divorce lawyer and wanted to know how long it would take to get X issue resolved. The lawyer took sheets of paper, stretched them across the long conference room table and showed her with those stretched out sheets of old school paper a timeline of what had to be done first, second, third, etc to get her issue resolved. Not a "comparison" but as rudimentary as you get. And that is why she chose and liked that lawyer better than others. This was on radio and I still could "see" how this was done and how effective it must hav ebeen. I get suspicious when data is all gussied up/dressed up or at least if not suspicious, distracted -and then I learn less. Make a difference by having your audience know you had each one of them in mind when presenting the information.

Archived