Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skin Cancer Scare

Platinum Member

Skin Cancer Scare

Hi guys, now that my ordeal is over and I'm fine, this is more of a warning thread as I have definitely learned a lot from this experience.

About six weeks ago, I noticed what I thought was a simple pimple on the bridge of my nose under where my glasses sit (I wear glasses for reading and while on computer and since I'm always doing either or both except when I sleep, I am always wearing them).

Anyway, it wasn't healing and started to look kind of knarly so started researching and it looked very much like a skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma).

Both of which if not caught early, can be disfiguring after removal and squamous cell spreads into organs and can kill you.

Anyway, to say I was freaking out is an understatement! One day after looking at pics on the Internet, I literally had a full blown panic attack, my bf actually wanted to take me to hospital - I was shaking, couldn't breathe, etc.

I went to my dermatologist, he said it did not look like cancer but to be safe he performed a biopsy. A simple procedure, shaved some skin from the area for testing.

I had to wait 10 days for results which turned out negatuve, yay!

It was a bacterial cyst which after antibiotics and special soap is healing.

Anyway, like I said I learned a lot from this experience, -- that if simple pimple doesn't heal within a month or is getting worse, it may not be a pimple at all, see your doctor.

If you knick yourself shaving and the cut doesn't heal, changes color and becomes raised, see your doctor.

Any mole on your face/body that starts changing colors and has irregular boarders or starts bleeding, see your doctor.

I don't mean to scare anyone but waiting even a few months after you spot something unusual can end up disfiguring you (most scars will heal fine) but read a few cases wherein people have lost entire sections of their nose, cheeks, ears.

Scary!!!

But if caught very early, removal is simple and will heal fine.

Hugh Jackman (actor) actually had six basal cell carcinomas removed from his nose at different times, both caught very early and his nose looks great still, no scarring.

Again, apologize if I've alarmed anyone but early detection is so important, not just looks wise but could also save your life!!

Be well everyone and happy holidays!
    Last edited by katrina1980; 11-21-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Thank you so much for sharing.

So sorry you went through that! That period of uncertainty is so hard. Glad it all turned out okay in the end :)

Sometimes Google can be the scariest thing in the world but I always believe it is better to search things nd detect things early. As ruling things out is better than sitting back and hoping it's not anything more sinister.

Out of curiosity was it painful? As they always say to look out for pain don't they.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jellybean9
    Thank you so much for sharing.

So sorry you went through that! That period of uncertainty is so hard. Glad it all turned out okay in the end :)

Sometimes Google can be the scariest thing in the world but I always believe it is better to search things nd detect things early. As ruling things out is better than sitting back and hoping it's not anything more sinister.

Out of curiosity was it painful? As they always say to look out for pain don't they.
    Yes mine did hurt (an infection under the skin), but interesting enough skin cancers don't typically hurt!

I read stories of people having a weird red spot on their face for years, never caused any discomfort and it turned out to be a slow growing basal cell!

Look for irregular borders and different colors within the sore or mole..

Many people ignore and live to regret (or don't live if it's a melanoma, which grows quickly and kills).

Platinum Member
    Girl, I have had many these removed. You should not be getting yourself so upset. If it were melanoma, I would be concerned.

Stress is worse than getting freaked out by these types of cancer. Remember, what you see online is extreme and later stage.

I do agree that if you have a spot that is not healing, bleeding or had a rough surface should be addressed. Most of these are harmless and easily removed.

Originally Posted by katrina1980
    Yes mine did hurt (an infection under the skin), but interesting enough skin cancers don't typically hurt!

I read stories of people having a weird red spot on their face for years, never caused any discomfort and it turned out to be a slow growing basal cell!

Look for irregular borders and different colors within the sore or mole..

Many people ignore and live to regret (or don't live if it's a melanoma, which grows quickly and kills).
    That is why I was curious as it sounded painful what you had whereas I've heard that about skin cancer not being.

Same goes for breast cancer. Remember my mum's friend had a massive scare. Luckily it was only a cyst.

Remember the doctor reassuring her that because she feels pain it is more likely a cyst. Although there are reports of breast cancer being painful if the tissue around becomes inflamed . Thankfully it was just a cyst a cyst in the end. But like I was saying that fear for her at the time is so real and scary. Like it would have been for you before you found out what it was.

Good thing to share as so many of us forget to keep an eye on moles. Espicially ones that aren't visable without a mirror of someone else checking.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Girl, I have had many these removed. You should not be getting yourself so upset. If it were melanoma, I would be concerned.

Stress is worse than getting freaked out by these types of cancer. Remember, what you see online is extreme and later stage.

I do agree that if you have a spot that is not healing, bleeding or had a rough surface should be addressed. Most of these are harmless and easily removed.
    Thanks for sharing Holls, and glad yours were harmless and you're ok!

And yeah I know I shouldn't freak, and probably shouldn't look at those internet pics either, geez how people can wait so long before treatment is nuts!!

One girl had a pretty disgusting boil looking thing, red, blue, black, over almost her entire nose before seeing a doctor.

She ended up having to have almost her entire nose removed.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by katrina1980
    Thanks for sharing Holls, and glad yours were harmless and you're ok!

And yeah I know I shouldn't freak, and probably shouldn't look at those internet pics either, geez how people can wait so long before treatment is nuts!!

One girl had a pretty disgusting boil looking thing, red, blue, black, over almost her entire nose before seeing a doctor.

She ended up having to have almost her entire nose removed.
    I had something and waited a couple of years. Too long. i had to have Moh's surgery as it was on my face. They had to scrape four times, as it was deeper than we thought- one scrape is usually sufficient. i was concerned. The doctor did a fab job and the scar is invisible. it is about being responsible and getting these things addressed in a timely manner- i should have dealt with that one earlier.

Remember, you are looking at the worst cases, this is why it is best to stay off the internet and see your dermatologist.

Platinum Member
    What did it look like Holls? Was it a basal cell?

Thank goodness you're ok, so scary!

Platinum Member
    Squamous .Thanks. I don't find these things scary at all. I have had a lot of this stuff removed as I am fair complected and used to abuse the sun in AZ. Melanoma is scary, though.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    My stepdad recently had skin cancer removed from his nose and neck and and it left a big divet in his nose.

Glad you are ok!
    Last edited by ~Seraphim ~; 11-21-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice