LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skin Cancer Scare

Platinum Member
    K -I am really glad you are ok!!! To share - a few years ago I had a sort of pimple on my neck that didn't go away. I believe it was painful. My mother has had cancerous stuff removed from her skin so I assume I have a propensity. I went in to have it looked at and when she did she said she believed it was a cyst (it was!!) - and did the biopsy, etc. I don't think I needed ointment-not sure.

Another story, My son had a skin infection. Got it treated. A few weeks later I ignored signs that I might have one (won't go into details, icky). For almost a week. I really wish I hadn't because it was the same infection and I needed oral and topical antibiotics (nothing to do with cancer) and treatment over a period of months. The problem is, I do tend to dry/itchy skin so it's hard to tell sometimes what is normal and what is not. And yes I agree it's scary. I'll also share that I've gotten an annual skin check now for several years. Almost every year she finds something to biopsy. And yes I worry although usually she'll tell me it's an abundance of caution. So far -all clear. And I hope the same for you but I am a proponent of the annual skin checks -definite peace of mind.

Stay well.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by ~Seraphim ~
    No clue.
    Makes a huge difference as they are also plastic surgeons. Not just guesstimating and removing chunks of skin.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Makes a huge difference as they are also plastic surgeons. Not just guesstimating and removing chunks of skin.
    The only thing I know is he went to a dermatologist. But he also had the lesion for five years and kept picking it off and it kept growing back . Same with his neck. ď because he didnít need a doctor .Ē The way heís been doing things for almost 80 years of his life itís perfectly fine . 🙄

This is a great reason to set up annual skin cancer screening with a dermatologist. Total body skin exam includes evaluation of entire skin surface..scalp, face, ears, neck, chest, abdomen, back, buttocks, genitals, upper and lower extremities, hands, feet, eyes (iris and sclera), oral mucosa, hair and nails. Skin cancer screening is the safest, easiest and possibly most cost-effective screening test in medicine

In fact the recommendation from National Institutes of Health is annually after age 35 for high risk (fair skinned, family history etc) individuals. This is of course to catch things early before skin cancers, melanoma in particular, get too far for effective and cosmetically acceptable treatment options. Of course in between yearly screenings, see that same dermatologist for any new or changing lesions, since every lesion and it's size, color, location, etc is documented.

Platinum Member
    Thnx guys, talking this out really helped.

My stress level even before this scare was super high, I have lots going on in my life right now including a new job starting Jan in a brand new country!

Which I am excited about but stressing about at the same time.

It's so bad, yoga isn't even helping, I am even shaking right now as we speak.

I am at my brother's in NY for the holiday and he's trying to calm me down, it isn't helping.

I have no appetite, but we're making a big Turkey dinner today with all my favorite sides, I hate to fall back on alcohol but since today is a holiday, I will, not too much though,

@Annia, again apologies didn't mean to scare you, will you check back after you see your doctor?

For those in the U.S., hope y'all have a wonderful thanksgiving holiday!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Medications for anxiety are not all bad. Maybe a Xanax would calm you down the day.

Platinum Member
    Have you tried meditation?

Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Have you tried meditation?
    Oh yes, not sure if you've read my posts on this, but I have Bipolar 2 (not as serious as BP 1) and was placed on meds but hated it, so went off and ever since been managing symptoms on my own. For like years.

But every once in awhile, especially when I have stresses in my life, my anxiety kicks in.

I'm feeling much better today though, I finally got some sleep! Last night I slept 8 hours, yay!

Platinum Member
    Glad it turned out OK.

I had a couple of lesions that turned out to be eczema. Not life threatening in any way, but itchy and uncomfortable and annoying. Mine won't go away completely for some reason. Stubborn case.

My ex husband has had two bouts with basal cell carcinoma. He was declared cured after several years of remission but it ended up coming back worse. Poor guy also lost lots of weight, weight he didn't need to lose. But...he is very fair skinned and absolutely refused to wear a hat or sunscreen. I warned him our entire marriage but he just would not listen. Now he gets to go through rounds of surgery and chemo and radiation because the cancer spread to his lymph nodes.

Please, people...wear your sunscreen!!!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    Glad it turned out OK.

I had a couple of lesions that turned out to be eczema. Not life threatening in any way, but itchy and uncomfortable and annoying. Mine won't go away completely for some reason. Stubborn case.

My ex husband has had two bouts with basal cell carcinoma. He was declared cured after several years of remission but it ended up coming back worse. Poor guy also lost lots of weight, weight he didn't need to lose. But...he is very fair skinned and absolutely refused to wear a hat or sunscreen. I warned him our entire marriage but he just would not listen. Now he gets to go through rounds of surgery and chemo and radiation because the cancer spread to his lymph nodes.

Please, people...wear your sunscreen!!!
    Thnx for sharing bolt, and I am so sorry to hear about what your ex experienced.. I am not familiar with eczema other than it's itchy and can look knarly, glad you're okay!

I am a bit surprised his cancer spread to lymph nodes and he had to go through chemo, everything I have read about basal cell carcinoma says it's the least dangerous, most treatable (through surgical removal) as it typically does not spread but may return in other areas. Like I said, Hugh Jackman had six basal cell carcinomas on his nose at different times.

Unlike squamous cell and melanoma that does spread and can kill if not treated, especially melanoma.

Just goes to show, even with all the research, there is still so much even doctors don't know!

I am also convinced that sun exposure is not the only reason these cancers develop.

It may make a person more vulnerable, but the woman who lost her nose from squamous cell was olive-skinned and rarely was in the sun, she was only 25 and almost died from it.

She was very overweight though and admitted to a very unhealthy lifestyle of eating lots of processed and fatty foods.

But yes wear sun screen which I have been doing for 20 years. But I am blonde/green eyes so told I am vulnerable to it.

Scary!!
    Last edited by katrina1980; 11-23-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice