Skin Cancer Scare

Hi guys, now that my ordeal is over and I'm fine, this is more of a warning thread as I have definitely learned a lot from this experience.

About six weeks ago, I noticed what I thought was a simple pimple on the bridge of my nose under where my glasses sit (I wear glasses for reading and while on computer and since I'm always doing either or both except when I sleep, I am always wearing them).

Anyway, it wasn't healing and started to look kind of knarly so started researching and it looked very much like a skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma or squamous cell carcinoma).

Both of which if not caught early, can be disfiguring after removal and squamous cell spreads into organs and can kill you.

Anyway, to say I was freaking out is an understatement! One day after looking at pics on the Internet, I literally had a full blown panic attack, my bf actually wanted to take me to hospital - I was shaking, couldn't breathe, etc.

I went to my dermatologist, he said it did not look like cancer but to be safe he performed a biopsy. A simple procedure, shaved some skin from the area for testing.

I had to wait 10 days for results which turned out negatuve, yay!

It was a bacterial cyst which after antibiotics and special soap is healing.

Anyway, like I said I learned a lot from this experience, -- that if simple pimple doesn't heal within a month or is getting worse, it may not be a pimple at all, see your doctor.

If you knick yourself shaving and the cut doesn't heal, changes color and becomes raised, see your doctor.

Any mole on your face/body that starts changing colors and has irregular boarders or starts bleeding, see your doctor.

I don't mean to scare anyone but waiting even a few months after you spot something unusual can end up disfiguring you (most scars will heal fine) but read a few cases wherein people have lost entire sections of their nose, cheeks, ears.

Scary!!!

But if caught very early, removal is simple and will heal fine.

Hugh Jackman (actor) actually had six basal cell carcinomas removed from his nose at different times, both caught very early and his nose looks great still, no scarring.

Again, apologize if I've alarmed anyone but early detection is so important, not just looks wise but could also save your life!!

Be well everyone and happy holidays!

Thank you so much for sharing.

So sorry you went through that! That period of uncertainty is so hard. Glad it all turned out okay in the end :)

Sometimes Google can be the scariest thing in the world but I always believe it is better to search things nd detect things early. As ruling things out is better than sitting back and hoping it's not anything more sinister.

Out of curiosity was it painful? As they always say to look out for pain don't they.

Thank you so much for sharing.

So sorry you went through that! That period of uncertainty is so hard. Glad it all turned out okay in the end :)

Sometimes Google can be the scariest thing in the world but I always believe it is better to search things nd detect things early. As ruling things out is better than sitting back and hoping it's not anything more sinister.

Out of curiosity was it painful? As they always say to look out for pain don't they.

Yes mine did hurt (an infection under the skin), but interesting enough skin cancers don't typically hurt!

I read stories of people having a weird red spot on their face for years, never caused any discomfort and it turned out to be a slow growing basal cell!

Look for irregular borders and different colors within the sore or mole..

Many people ignore and live to regret (or don't live if it's a melanoma, which grows quickly and kills).

Girl, I have had many these removed. You should not be getting yourself so upset. If it were melanoma, I would be concerned.

Stress is worse than getting freaked out by these types of cancer. Remember, what you see online is extreme and later stage.

I do agree that if you have a spot that is not healing, bleeding or had a rough surface should be addressed. Most of these are harmless and easily removed.

Yes mine did hurt (an infection under the skin), but interesting enough skin cancers don't typically hurt!

I read stories of people having a weird red spot on their face for years, never caused any discomfort and it turned out to be a slow growing basal cell!

Many people ignore and live to regret (or don't live if it's a melanoma, which grows quickly and kills).

That is why I was curious as it sounded painful what you had whereas I've heard that about skin cancer not being.

Same goes for breast cancer. Remember my mum's friend had a massive scare. Luckily it was only a cyst.

Remember the doctor reassuring her that because she feels pain it is more likely a cyst. Although there are reports of breast cancer being painful if the tissue around becomes inflamed . Thankfully it was just a cyst a cyst in the end. But like I was saying that fear for her at the time is so real and scary. Like it would have been for you before you found out what it was.

Good thing to share as so many of us forget to keep an eye on moles. Espicially ones that aren't visable without a mirror of someone else checking.

Girl, I have had many these removed. You should not be getting yourself so upset. If it were melanoma, I would be concerned.

Stress is worse than getting freaked out by these types of cancer. Remember, what you see online is extreme and later stage.

I do agree that if you have a spot that is not healing, bleeding or had a rough surface should be addressed. Most of these are harmless and easily removed.

Thanks for sharing Holls, and glad yours were harmless and you're ok!

And yeah I know I shouldn't freak, and probably shouldn't look at those internet pics either, geez how people can wait so long before treatment is nuts!!

One girl had a pretty disgusting boil looking thing, red, blue, black, over almost her entire nose before seeing a doctor.

She ended up having to have almost her entire nose removed.

Thanks for sharing Holls, and glad yours were harmless and you're ok!

And yeah I know I shouldn't freak, and probably shouldn't look at those internet pics either, geez how people can wait so long before treatment is nuts!!

One girl had a pretty disgusting boil looking thing, red, blue, black, over almost her entire nose before seeing a doctor.

She ended up having to have almost her entire nose removed.

I had something and waited a couple of years. Too long. i had to have Moh's surgery as it was on my face. They had to scrape four times, as it was deeper than we thought- one scrape is usually sufficient. i was concerned. The doctor did a fab job and the scar is invisible. it is about being responsible and getting these things addressed in a timely manner- i should have dealt with that one earlier.

Remember, you are looking at the worst cases, this is why it is best to stay off the internet and see your dermatologist.

Squamous .Thanks. I don't find these things scary at all. I have had a lot of this stuff removed as I am fair complected and used to abuse the sun in AZ. Melanoma is scary, though.

Wish I had your attitude Holls, I'm still stressing (about all cancers now just not skin), last night I was coughing and started thinking I had lung cancer!

My mom died from lung cancer, she smoked like a chimney; I never did but the smoke in our house was so dense, I fear getting it from second hand smoke.

I need to calm down!! Lol

I'm about to faint because I have a small red pimple on my nose that I've had for years. I think it's time for an appointment...

Oh I'm sorry, but try to not stress like I did!

This doesn't help, hell I lost five pounds in two weeks, five pounds I could not afford to lose.

What I also learned is that there are so so many other things it could be, that are benign and harmess.

And if it's not growing or changing color or bleeding, chances are its a benign growth.

But yeah see your derm, good luck!

Wish I had your attitude Holls, I'm still stressing (about all cancers now just not skin), last night I was coughing and started thinking I had lung cancer!

My mom died from lung cancer, she smoked like a chimney; I never did but the smoke in our house was so dense, I fear getting it from second hand smoke.

You are ok I am sure .

Yeah my dad recently had a cancer removed from his nose too. They caught it early, he’s healing well.

I find myself worrying about cancer at times too - because it runs in my family.

The whole coughing thing...I can relate. I was coughing all the time last winter (which was new) and I kinda worked myself up about what it could be. Turns out, nothing was wrong.

But I find that I tend to worry more about things like this when I’m already stressed about other circumstances in my life.

I’m tired, stressed, and not thinking rationally as a result. Toss in being an over-thinker and google search we’ve got a real party!

Ugh.

Glad to hear you’re okay though.

I am very sorry about your mom.

I lost my brother to lung cancer. Never smoked. Mom has had had breast and ovarian. I get regular exams and try to live a healthy life. This is all you can do. Being overly paranoid is not good.

I do not think I will get lung cancer. . A little coughing does not indicate cancer. Hon, you need to chill with this stuff. Stress is your worst enemy for cancer.

K -I am really glad you are ok!!! To share - a few years ago I had a sort of pimple on my neck that didn't go away. I believe it was painful. My mother has had cancerous stuff removed from her skin so I assume I have a propensity. I went in to have it looked at and when she did she said she believed it was a cyst (it was!!) - and did the biopsy, etc. I don't think I needed ointment-not sure.

Another story, My son had a skin infection. Got it treated. A few weeks later I ignored signs that I might have one (won't go into details, icky). For almost a week. I really wish I hadn't because it was the same infection and I needed oral and topical antibiotics (nothing to do with cancer) and treatment over a period of months. The problem is, I do tend to dry/itchy skin so it's hard to tell sometimes what is normal and what is not. And yes I agree it's scary. I'll also share that I've gotten an annual skin check now for several years. Almost every year she finds something to biopsy. And yes I worry although usually she'll tell me it's an abundance of caution. So far -all clear. And I hope the same for you but I am a proponent of the annual skin checks -definite peace of mind.

Stay well.

Makes a huge difference as they are also plastic surgeons. Not just guesstimating and removing chunks of skin.

The only thing I know is he went to a dermatologist. But he also had the lesion for five years and kept picking it off and it kept growing back . Same with his neck. “ because he didn’t need a doctor .” The way he’s been doing things for almost 80 years of his life it’s perfectly fine . 🙄

This is a great reason to set up annual skin cancer screening with a dermatologist. Total body skin exam includes evaluation of entire skin surface..scalp, face, ears, neck, chest, abdomen, back, buttocks, genitals, upper and lower extremities, hands, feet, eyes (iris and sclera), oral mucosa, hair and nails. Skin cancer screening is the safest, easiest and possibly most cost-effective screening test in medicine

In fact the recommendation from National Institutes of Health is annually after age 35 for high risk (fair skinned, family history etc) individuals. This is of course to catch things early before skin cancers, melanoma in particular, get too far for effective and cosmetically acceptable treatment options. Of course in between yearly screenings, see that same dermatologist for any new or changing lesions, since every lesion and it's size, color, location, etc is documented.

Thnx guys, talking this out really helped.

My stress level even before this scare was super high, I have lots going on in my life right now including a new job starting Jan in a brand new country!

Which I am excited about but stressing about at the same time.

It's so bad, yoga isn't even helping, I am even shaking right now as we speak.

I am at my brother's in NY for the holiday and he's trying to calm me down, it isn't helping. :icon_sad:

I have no appetite, but we're making a big Turkey dinner today with all my favorite sides, I hate to fall back on alcohol but since today is a holiday, I will, not too much though,

@Annia, again apologies didn't mean to scare you, will you check back after you see your doctor?

For those in the U.S., hope y'all have a wonderful thanksgiving holiday!

Archived