Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Pressure on Weight

If you go to a bridal shop, you will find wedding dresses in every size from 0 - 36 and up. They wouldn't make dresses for larger women if they weren't getting married! Some guys even like the extra curves, there are more of those guys out there than you think, not every man wants a thin woman.

As women and even men we are all conscious of weight.

I don't even come from a culture that criticize based on weight and my nan would always point out if any of her granddaughters have put on weight! That's so damaging and was for us as teenagers. It's like water off a ducks back now. As when you grow up things like that don't worry you as much.

Sadly it is such a big thing in society. Gone are the days curves are considered sexy. Look at the pin-up models from back in the day. They are real women and we don't see that anymore!

I'm so sorry you are in a culture that are heavily focused on being "skinny". Your perfect man is out there. Trust me as cliche as it sounds. It's so true.

I was always conscious of muscly men... They still aren't my cup of tea. But I was talking to my cousin who is 6ft4, body of a model and genuinely handsome. Like girls stop and look at him if we are out together. Anyway he loves his girls to be on the larger side. He was like real women have meat on them. Which is true. So never judge a book by it's cover as I assumed all those men are after "surfer girls".

Like I said your perfect man is out there as we all have specific tastes in what we look for in a partner.

Platinum Member
    Wasn’t Marilyn Monroe a size 12? Look at her! She was stunning and popular with the guys!

Originally Posted by limichelle
    Wasn’t Marilyn Monroe a size 12? Look at her! She was stunning and popular with the guys!
    She wasn’t a modern size 12 unfortunately

Platinum Member
    Yeah, Marilyn Monroe's size 12 is today's 6.

However, in many stick-thin societies, Marilyn would be considered a much larger gal these days. In my last relationship, every single female on my ex's "side" (family, in-laws, etc.) was bone-stick-thin. Someone as large as Marilyn (or me) was considered very outcast, as I actually ate a full meal, lol.

Even in my current social circle, it amazes me how these mid 50's to yes, 70's aged women are bone thin. I'm the largest woman by far, as I struggle with 10-15 lbs.

One friend who was always a workout-a-holic has recently put on some weight, largely due to menopause and stress. She's upset about it and has brought it up to me, but I don't really notice. But recently, one of our other friends literally said to her "So why have you put on so much weight?". Unbelievable.

Platinum Member
    As a woman, I can relate to the pressures of feeling like I have to look a certain way - at least, I used to think more so this way.

I'm in my 30's now, but back in my teens and during a brief time in my 20's, I was very disciplined with my eating and exercise regime - to the point where it was completely unrealistic to maintain. And I was never big! I was just tall (at 5'10"), so I wanted to feel smaller since I always felt like I was towering over all of my friends. I was also of the view during this time that the supermodel figure was the ideal image.

But now, I no longer feel this way!

I eat healthy, I exercise, I'm in great shape, and I have curves. I love them! It's what makes me feel girly and feminine, and I'd never want to lose these curves.

And I don't believe for a second that all men want women who are stick-thin. I honestly think that men are looking for healthy women. Some women can pull off a very thin look, where there are tons of women who look gorgeous with meat on their bones! There's no one size fits all.

And I can assure you that there are men out there who are looking for what you have to offer in terms of your looks and physique! Just own and love what you have.

Just take care of yourself, inside & out. Be healthy.

The right man is out there for you. But please do not think that you have to look like a thin super model to attract a man - this is simply not true.

I wish we could hear from some men on ENA with respect to this!

As of now yes. Didn't find someone at work either.

Seriously, that's true. People of differnet sizes exist and no one has the right to mock them for who they are. Everyone has their own reason for being that weight. Wouldn't anyone as a human love to be appreciated. Criticizing is like adding oil to the fire.

Tq so much. This adds strength. :)

Are your parents pressuring you to find a husband?
    Originally Posted by Ksyrl
    Seriously, that's true. People of differnet sizes exist and no one has the right to mock them for who they are. Everyone has their own reason for being that weight. Wouldn't anyone as a human love to be appreciated. Criticizing is like adding oil to the fire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice