Is that creepy?

successthis

Hello, this has nothing to do with love relashionships but didnt know where to post. I am giving classes in my house since I am a teacher and I had this guy contacting me about classes and asked if he could have a first try ckass and then decide if wanted me to teach him. I accepted and at the end of class told him he could only pay me next time if decided to come. Afterwards he sent me friend request in social networks, and never wrote to me about his decision. Is that creepy? I have also been thinking to unfriend him from social networks. I am confident about my classes cause I have other students too. But I would prefer somebody to tell me if decided to come or not. I myself didnt ask anything cause I surmise he didnt like classes, but asking for friend request though, do you think thats creepy?

You should never give anyone a free class. I have found in my business that everyone I did something free for never came back. The ones I charged came back. The freebie clients only wanted free stuff and we're serious. Just a word of advice.

As for him friending you, it's suspicious.

It is not creepy it is just too familiar ....You probably need to set up a few bounderies from the start and not accepting friends requests top of the list .

I will be starting an intense course of art therapy next March , and one of the rules is we are not allowed to become friends on social media .

Smart.........

To be honest, I think I’m more surprised that you accepted his friend request than him having sent the request.

I know a lot of teachers who hide their social media accounts for this reason, or they just don’t accept the requests in general.

I realize he isn’t officially a student of yours, but due to the fact that he inquired about signing up for your class and actually sat in on one, would be enough for me to deny a friend request in order to avoid any awkwardness and professional boundaries being crossed.

I like how pippy phrased it, it’s way too familiar.

You should never give anyone a free class. I have found in my business that everyone I did something free for never came back. The ones I charged came back. The freebie clients only wanted free stuff and we're serious. Just a word of advice.

As for him friending you, it's suspicious.

I agree, never give away anything for free that you would normally charge for, it makes your product or service appear worthless. Also, unfriend the guy.

Yeah, I know but that didnt appear a big deal for me, I mean people here ask for friend requests even though you may be in professional network, like working in the same company. If I was him I would owe the teacher an explanation about what I would like different or why I didnt like the course. Anyway, I dont think he didnt like the course, my suspicion is he just wanted a free class and nothing more. My bad for allowing that.... and um ok unfriended

I don't understand this fear of asking him if he plans to attend or not, and networking, maybe offering a schedule...at least asking his intention. This is your business, and it's a valid question. As far as social media, friending students or people in a professional capacity might not be the best idea. Can you have a business account and a social account and keep the two separate? It's fine to unfriend someone who isn't actively enrolled, IMO. I wouldn't call the guy creepy. Maybe he decided he didn't want to continue or maybe he has to wait a couple more weeks before joining, who knows? I have certainly attended plenty of "freebies" just to see what it's about, the cost, the times available, and sometimes I follow through and pay and sometimes I don't. I appreciate the ability to "try before I buy." Some people take advantage.

Do you usually offer free sample classes to potential students? That seems rather unprofessional. Either have students officially resister for your tutoring services or not come at all. What's "creepy" is giving out free samples and being this unprofessional.

Do not accept friend requests from random weirdos. Do not invite random weirdos into your home without filling out appropriate paperwork/applications Before any lessons and giving you payment either beforehand or at the time of the first lesson.. Be more professional.

I am giving classes in my house since I am a teacher and I had this guy contacting me about classes and asked if he could have a first try ckass and then decide if wanted me to teach him. I accepted and at the end of class told him he could only pay me next time if decided to come

That is irrelevant. If you usually take payment for your tutoring/classes, the do so on the first lesson and with everyone, not just men you decide to lure to your home and then "friend" on social media. Find better ways of meeting men.

Also the minute you accept payment you have created a fee for service situation and being a 'licensed professor" is irrelevant. That doesn't give you an excuse to be unprofessional. Anyone can teach anything they want and tutor anything they want in an informal setting.

What is it you are teaching/tutoring? For example in North America and Europe you can tutor students or have classes for music lessons, baking cookies, whatever. For this purpose no specific licensing is required. Don't invite men to you home under the guise of a "free lesson". Get on dating apps instead.

I am not a licensed professor, but they know this and everything about my experience.

Excellent. Then accept payment at the time of the first lesson and do not offer "free samples" to anyone. Consider setting up a room at the local or college library and conducting the tutoring/lessons there. It is less inconsiderate to your housemates, more professional and doesn't compromise your or your housemates security by offering "free samples" to random men in your home. Why accept the "friends" invitation, if you then think "it's creepy"?

I am giving language classes.
Yeah, I know but that didnt appear a big deal for me, I mean people here ask for friend requests even though you may be in professional network, like working in the same company. If I was him I would owe the teacher an explanation about what I would like different or why I didnt like the course. Anyway, I dont think he didnt like the course, my suspicion is he just wanted a free class and nothing more. My bad for allowing that.... and um ok unfriended

I don't think he owes you anything at all -it was a free class. I agree with Pippy -not creepy at all.

I have enrolled my child in a number of activities where the first class is a trial/free class or low cost. I really appreciate it especially for children's activities. I believe we actually did sign up for what we tried but if we hadn't, no, I wouldn't have felt obligated to give a review -I likely would have filled out a survey if sent one.

I'll add that I don't accept free classes unless I am fairly sure I want to sign up.

I teach language to adults as well, though I don't teach out of my home (I work in a continuing education institution)

My students do occasionally track me down on social media, and I never accept the request. The school I work for forbids it anyway, but I also am simply not comfortable blending my personal and professional life to that extent. My social media activity is low in any case, but it's a place for my friends and family. Not students. I generally believe my students have innocent intentions when they send a request, and by and large they are lovely people, but I prefer not to take the chance and encourage someone who has other ideas. I also simply need my breathing space from anything or anyone work-related!

Just my two cents.

Archived