Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Partner prioritises gym over family

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Sammie40
    Thanks. Yes, I have been uneasy for a while admittedly, but I thought my discontent was due to not feeling emotionally connected to him because of his schedule. Every time I bought up the inheritance he said 'You need to stop referring to it as your inheritance, it's our money, just like my pay is our money, not mine.' He's always been pretty nutty about this 'equality' thing. But he's changed. When we met he wined and dined me like crazy and now, after five years together, if we go for dinner he pays for it at the counter and then asks me to transfer half to him. I've stopped wanting to go out because I don't have enough spending money to cover these costs anyway.
    He is more of an azzhole than I thought! He makes a high salary, and insists you pay half. Why did you have kids with this creep?

You ARE defending him. He's a control freak and he's got you where he wants you, which is under his thumb. Honestly I'm glad I dont live wherever you do, as in Canada the person who inherits the money keeps the money, they dont split it.

His stubbornness over dinner is crazy, those kids are going to grow up and start asking why daddy isnt around much, why he cant find time to play with them for more than 20 minutes a day. He's doing what he does because he can. You are getting the short end of the stick and you need a lawyer and quite possibly to leave and if you have to go to a womens' shelter then that's what you do. You are getting screwed.

Originally Posted by Hollyj
    Isn't he required to pay support in your country?

Also, you can certainly return to work. Many women do.
    Yes, I would have to return to work. That's not a problem to me. He would be required to pay some support, but it's not much.

He didn't use to be that way. His theory is that we get the same 'pocket money' so therefore we should go halves on extravagant things like dining out.

Platinum Member
    He didn't use to be that way. His theory is that we get the same 'pocket money' so therefore we should go halves on extravagant things like dining out.
    You are raising the kids and do not have a significant income. You should not be paying. This is who he really is!

Is your name on the deed?

Originally Posted by melancholy123
    You ARE defending him. He's a control freak and he's got you where he wants you, which is under his thumb. Honestly I'm glad I dont live wherever you do, as in Canada the person who inherits the money keeps the money, they dont split it.

His stubbornness over dinner is crazy, those kids are going to grow up and start asking why daddy isnt around much, why he cant find time to play with them for more than 20 minutes a day. He's doing what he does because he can. You are getting the short end of the stick and you need a lawyer and quite possibly to leave and if you have to go to a womens' shelter then that's what you do. You are getting screwed.
    Yeah that's my feeling too. Those kids are my world. I wasn't even fussed on having kids! It's messed up that he thinks I am extremely high maintenance for asking for more than just the weekends with him.

You are raising the kids and do not have a significant income. You should not be paying. This is who he really is!

Is your name on the deed?
    Yes. The house and all bank accounts are in both our names.

Platinum Member
    Yes. The house and all bank accounts are in both our names.
    Get the hell away from this guy! This is not healthy for your kids, either.

Get the hell away from this guy! This is not healthy for your kids, either.
    I've got some lawyer names and will make calls tomorrow.

Platinum Member
    I've got some lawyer names and will make calls tomorrow.
    Awesome. Please have the lawyer help you figure out how to get your share of all your money.

Do not tell your partner anything. Make calls from a phone other than your cell. If you have to walk to a pay phone, do that.

Set up an email account he knows nothing about, and use only that account for legal correspondence. Clear your browser history continually.

Please, I'm not trying to scare you. I'm trying to prepare you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice