Would you date a guy/girl with no social media .

Yup I would. My guy is older than 20 and has no social media. He has in-person friendships. There are a lot of people that don't have or have deleted their social media unless they are looking for a career change and then sometimes do LinkedIn. People with certain types of jobs are not allowed to have social media, also.

Um, this would be my DREAM.

In fact, it's been most of my relationships, because I'm old af, at least to the kids. (I'm 39—judge the af as you will.)

Social media, by and large, is poison in my opinion. Isolating, distorting. In the world of romance, I don't think it offers much more than amping up anxieties that are already there to the point where what was once fun and jittery is now, for some, just puree jitters with a dash of despair.

I say that as someone fairly active on there. But I think it's poison, and have a feeling it will come to be regulated a lot like other poisons—cigarettes, say, or booze. I enjoy both of those, too, but I don't kid myself about what they are.

So, no, not weird. Ideal. Evolved.

I'd never date someone who didn't have an account to increase the number of my followers with. Talk about dead weight.

Of course! If you don't have social media, how will you be able to take and post hundreds of selfies? We all need selfies because we don't know what we look like. And we need people to tell us we look hot.

Seriously, OP, do you see this as a defect? If so,why? Do you want to be able to post relationship statuses and pics for your friends to see? Do you believe the adage "if it's not on Facebook it didn't happen"?

I tried social media but I just couldn't keep up with it. And I don't do enough interesting things to post about. If you're on social media a lot, you might not be compatible, since he won't be liking your posts or changing his status on Facebook, Instagram, etc. He may think you're strange for being on social media all the time and not concentrating on him.

It's not strange. Realistically he's making the most of his life and not wasting it mindlessly looking at a screen every 10 minutes, to check something that really adds no value to your life...... No one laying on their death bed ever said "I wish I spent more time on face book"

This is the world we live in now.. It becomes a suspicion when someone doesn't have social media. You are well within your right of course. First thing to do is ask him. I'm 32 and I'm going through this phase where social media is starting to bug me. I will. Be deleting Facebook soon I think. You need to take some factors in. His age, maturity level. Has he ever had social media? I wouldn't see it as a red flag but I would be cautious. Potential that he could be hiding something. Don't hang him for it though

How do you know him? Do you go to school together? If he didn't ask you on a date, why are you looking him up on social media? Are you still trying to look up the guy who asked you out and you blew him off?

just meet this guy who is young and attractive but have no social media. I would definitely still date him

Why would you consider not dating someone if they didn’t have social media?

I actually find the thought of someone not having social media to be very attractive.

I’ve met men who don’t have it, and they’re some of the nicest, most down-to-earth guys I know. They lead very happy lives, are private, and don’t feel the need to post about their lives on social media in hopes of receiving likes to feel validated. Not saying all people who have social media are like this, but I do find social media has become very self-absorbed.

The only reason I have social media is to maintain contact and connect with people who I would probably otherwise lose contact with. I also love seeing pictures of how my longtime friends and their families are doing, as well as my own family members.

It’s a connector for me, which I love. But the egocentric and narcissistic ways in which social media can be used I find to be a major turn-off.

That said, would definitely date a guy without it.

My question would more be aimed at him , would HE want to go out with someone who thinks there is clearly something wrong when doesn't have social media .

I don't really use my mobile phone , when I do remember to charge it , it dies a death within days in my drawer , the only contacts I have are my dealer and my daughter ...live and let live , good for him for not getting dragged into the BS that is social media .

Yes hypothetically I would. I have social media and love it for staying in touch with old friends and friends from the city I lived in for my first 4 decades- but I've only made posts a few times in the last 10 years, don't have photos of my child, don't post photos of myself other than what was on there when I joined many years ago and do not comment on any political posts ever so I'm on social media but somewhat of an unusual user - I had a new friend shocked when I asked her to take down a photo of my son she had posted without asking me. My husband has a twitter account for his work, and has a facebook that he never uses (he joined to stay in touch with a few overseas friends but then abandoned it). I might be curious to know this guy's reasons -just because it's interesting these days -but not because there is anything wrong with it. More is wrong with a person who has every social media account and uses them to the exclusion of one on one interaction, in person social life, etc.

I think social media gets a bad name because of how certain people use it -helped me get my job, find out about events/actiivities/volunteer oportunities in my city and many other resources, etc. I've unfollowed many people who live on it and use it to rile people up and/or brag.

If I was 17, which based on your posts and your SN. I’m thinking you are, I’d probably be a little skeptical. Just because that is your generation, so much is lived on social media and communicated behind a screen, but as an adult, I know there are flaws in that so I’d advise the 17 year old to take a chance, I’d also advise her that maybe it’s time for her to disconnect a bit since her... dependence on being behind a screen... seems to be a hinderance.

As an adult who has lived in a world without it, absolutely. See nothing wrong with it.

Everyone have social media nowadays, just meet this guy who is young and attractive but have no social media. No,fb,Ig,Twitter ,WhatsApp nothing couldn’t ask him why, though. I would definitely still date him but I think is a bit strange what do you guys think?

Why could 't you ask him why he has no social media? I think it'd be great to date or be with someone who wasnt always transfixed with their phone. It'd be a breath of fresh air.

I'd date such person, I find it positive. I have social media because all my coworkers communicate through there (on a secret group dedicated to work), I'm in some groups useful to my profession and it allowed me to find other people from my country living in the country I'm now and ask for information. But besides that I think social media is not worth it.

The guy I'm seeing now has Facebook but he barely uses it. I have no issue with that even though we're both from the "age of social media" lol

Everyone have social media nowadays, just meet this guy who is young and attractive but have no social media. No,fb,Ig,Twitter ,WhatsApp nothing couldn’t ask him why, though. I would definitely still date him but I think is a bit strange what do you guys think?

People are perhaps starting to realize what a cesspool of nonsense social media is. People are using it as an opportunity to spread hatred and anger, misinformation, and either airing all of their dirty laundry to the world or pretending that their lives are perfect while underneath things are falling apart. It's not a bad thing at all that he doesn't want to be part of all of that. My question is... why would anyone be suspicious of someone that doesn't have social media?

People are perhaps starting to realize what a cesspool of nonsense social media is. People are using it as an opportunity to spread hatred and anger, misinformation, and either airing all of their dirty laundry to the world or pretending that their lives are perfect while underneath things are falling apart. It's not a bad thing at all that he doesn't want to be part of all of that. My question is... why would anyone be suspicious of someone that doesn't have social media?

They think the person has SOMETHING TO HIDE!!! Like, they're a government agent. Or maybe they have a secret life with a secret family.

Some people nowadays don't like not being able to cyber stalk someone. They look for trouble and are upset when they have no way to find it. A lot of those same people are the ones who plow through their SO's phone. And their defense is "If he/she has nothing to hide, why would they care if I look through their phone/read their emails/read their messages/go through their pockets??? I wouldn't mind if they went through MY stuff!!"

The assumption is if you're not willing to plaster every detail of your life on social media you are shady and untrustworthy.

I do have social media, but it's to see what my far away friends and family are into. I live hundreds of miles from my family and we find this is the easiest and least disruptive way to communicate.

But I don't post Instagram selfies looking for "likes" and I don't share my every thought. Just when I think I have something worth sharing.

One of my kids has a Facebook profile and he has not logged in for over a year. And my kid is a "millennial". He actually speaks to his friends and sees them in person. I don't think either of my kids has ever posted a selfie trolling for "likes".

OK, rant over.

OP, why are you concerned? Do you think it's WEIRD to not want to share your personal details with the world?

I'm 26 and never had any form of social media for years. I'm very normal. I didn't want to conform to what everyone at the time was obsessing with.

Yes I've since joined the dark side. I'm sure no one I dated judged me for not having social media.

I respect those that still don't have social media in this day and age.

I get it if you met from online dating and someone was suspicious of a catfish.

Even since I've been online dating I've explained I'm not one for social media and guys have judged me for it.

So sure if you know this is a genuine person. Then there is no need to worry about whether or not he has social media.

Best of luck

Archived