Any freelance writers out there?

Hi ENA friends...

Wondering if anyone wants to share experience with freelance writing. Maybe someone who doesn't do this as a primary source of income. What was your experience level? Do enjoy it? Do you find it a flexible way to supplement your income?

I'm exploring options for earning side income for my downtime (between unrelated work contracts). I like the idea of something that I can do at home...or on the road...or anywhere really. The income level itself isn't all that important to me at this stage...just looking to generate some ideas for viable options.

Thanks! :)

For me it’s been my primary source of income, so I may not be the best person to weigh in, but I’ll take a stab.

Do I enjoy it? Sure, sometimes profoundly, though it’s also kind of crazy-making in a way I also enjoy—mental yoga for my inner masochist, you could say.

It certainly affords a flexible life, which was a big draw for me. What I tell everyone is that you need a big stomach for rejection, because that’s basically all writing is. First the blank page rejects you, then the editors reject you, either flat out or in shades, demanding little changes that sometimes seem valid, sometimes break your heart.

I don’t mean any of that to sound cynical. It kind of is what it is. The publishing industry is struggling right now, so it’s hard to extract money from it, though not impossible. As a supplement gig/pursuit, I think it’s awesome for the right temperament.

Best part is? No experience require. You just take a stab, over and over, and see what happens.

I appreciate your input, bluecastle!

This helps to temper my expectations. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd have the stomach for it...but perhaps the fact that I wouldn't be dependent on writing for my well-being in life would mitigate that.

I like your last line. Just take a stab at it. How can anyone else know what my experience will be?

Your circumstances may be different...but how do you get contracts/gigs?

Well, I've been doing it a while now, so contacts/gigs are a mix of me reaching out to familiar editors, them reaching out to me, and the occasional moonshot into the unknown. I've been under contract at a few magazines for a number of years, so I've crossed a few thresholds. That said, day to day it doesn't feel much different than when I was starting out. On paper I am a "professional," and I publish frequently, but for every piece that's published there are 10 rejected ideas, at minimum. I take that kind of rejection the way I take most: "Their loss, too bad, forward movement."

When I was younger/newer, I would just sit around, write stuff, send it off. Lots of essays, because that didn't require funding the way reporting does. I also write fiction, and once I'd put out a book that helped bring in work. I started before the web was big, but now it's a great place to carve out a voice, get some samples out there, if not so great on the $$ front.

A good way to start is to find topics that are unique to you—that you're passionate about but also have some kind of "in" when it comes to writing. Editors aren't wowed by style and skill, contrary to popular opinion, or at least that's not the way past the gates; they like ideas, because they're confident they can turn mediocre copy into something readable.

Yes. Not for the faint of heart. The field is extremely competitive and brutal. To succeed, you need to not only write well, but often more importantly, have expertise in the specialty you wish to write about. Deadlines always loom. It is far from "gig work."

Do you think there are more casual opportunities out there? Where if it's not someone's primary means of earning a living the need to succeed is somewhat less critical?

Do you have your own experience? Are you a writer? How did you start out?

I appreciate the feedback. I don't expect that it'd be an easy thing to break into. More of a gradual process of trial and error...success and failure.

Do you think there are more casual opportunities out there? Where if it's not someone's primary means of earning a living the need to succeed is somewhat less critical?

Do you have your own experience? Are you a writer? How did you start out?

I appreciate the feedback. I don't expect that it'd be an easy thing to break into. More of a gradual process of trial and error...success and failure.

1) Yes, if you want to work with no pay. If you plan on making quick money, might I suggest gig work? Uber/Lyft/display setting/babysitting?

2) Success is always critical. Your work needs to be accepted somewhere, right?

3) Yes.

4) Yes.

5) I don't wish to provide identifying details on an anonymous forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, OP, but it sounds like your interest here has little to do with money—like, you're not looking at this as a way to pay rent—but in exploring writing in a way that is more than a hobby? Seeing about getting published, about maybe finding some outlets, seeing where it goes, and so on?

I wouldn't use the word "casual" to describe that, because even getting there requires tremendous discipline. But I also don't think a writer needs to be an "expert" in anything. Sure, plenty are—crime writers, science writers, political writers, though even most of them became experts by, well, writing about the same thing for a long time.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of people who dabble in all sorts of disciplines and topics, me being one of them. I very much identify as an amateur, a very curious one, and kind of find writing allows me to pursue that—the chance to kind of have a crash course on a subject that I find compelling.

But, whimsical language aside, it's a grind, like anything, and a lonesome one. First steps: you want to write, ostensibly, because you read published things that you enjoy. So make a list of outlets you like, think about ideas for them, and figure out how to reach out. And, of course, start with realistic options—websites, local papers, etc.,

Hi ENA friends...

Wondering if anyone wants to share experience with freelance writing. Maybe someone who doesn't do this as a primary source of income. What was your experience level? Do enjoy it? Do you find it a flexible way to supplement your income?

I'm exploring options for earning side income for my downtime (between unrelated work contracts). I like the idea of something that I can do at home...or on the road...or anywhere really. The income level itself isn't all that important to me at this stage...just looking to generate some ideas for viable options.

What kind of writing are you interested in doing? Creative? Technical? Opinion? Something else?

I don't write professionally (except in the case of some reports). However, I do draw as part of my profession--mostly technical. I've freelanced both creative work and technical work.

I've found that there is a big difference (for me) between selling a technical drawing and selling something that I generated from my imagination. I don't enjoy selling creative work. However, I do enjoy selling technical work. So, my advice to you is: figure out if there is a type of writing that you can most happily sustain and concentrate on that market.

The other thing is, figure out how you want to get paid. Are you already making income as an independent contractor? If not, the 1099 can be a rude awakening.

Correct me if I'm wrong, OP, but it sounds like your interest here has little to do with money—like, you're not looking at this as a way to pay rent—but in exploring writing in a way that is more than a hobby? Seeing about getting published, about maybe finding some outlets, seeing where it goes, and so on?

I wouldn't use the word "casual" to describe that, because even getting there requires tremendous discipline. But I also don't think a writer needs to be an "expert" in anything. Sure, plenty are—crime writers, science writers, political writers, though even most of them became experts by, well, writing about the same thing for a long time.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of people who dabble in all sorts of disciplines and topics, me being one of them. I very much identify as an amateur, a very curious one, and kind of find writing allows me to pursue that—the chance to kind of have a crash course on a subject that I find compelling.

But, whimsical language aside, it's a grind, like anything, and a lonesome one. First steps: you want to write, ostensibly, because you read published things that you enjoy. So make a list of outlets you like, think about ideas for them, and figure out how to reach out. And, of course, start with realistic options—websites, local papers, etc.,

There's an idea of money in there somewhere...but I'm not naive enough to think it'll be an easy process...and I'm not so sure it's the primary motivating factor. I've got an aptitude for writing that I'd like to nurture in some different ways.

I like the bolded bit...inspiring.

And your final suggestions are helpful...thank you.

There's an idea of money in there somewhere...but I'm not naive enough to think it'll be an easy process...and I'm not so sure it's the primary motivating factor. I've got an aptitude for writing that I'd like to nurture in some different ways.

I like the bolded bit...inspiring.

And your final suggestions are helpful...thank you.

So is it that you don't need an income because you have other sources of $? If not, how many hours a day would you have to devote to this kind of writing and do you have a flexible schedule when deadlines arise? I have a friend who freelances mostly in the area of finance -she is also raising 2 kids so she has to juggle a lot!

What kind of writing are you interested in doing? Creative? Technical? Opinion? Something else?

Good question. I haven't honestly given the specifics much thought.

I don't write professionally (except in the case of some reports). However, I do draw as part of my profession--mostly technical. I've freelanced both creative work and technical work.

I've found that there is a big difference (for me) between selling a technical drawing and selling something that I generated from my imagination. I don't enjoy selling creative work. However, I do enjoy selling technical work. So, my advice to you is: figure out if there is a type of writing that you can most happily sustain and concentrate on that market.

The creative stuff is too personal?

I appreciate this suggestion. There are a few areas I could focus on...expanding a bit on what bluecastle alluded to...exploring areas of interest a little deeper.

The other thing is, figure out how you want to get paid. Are you already making income as an independent contractor? If not, the 1099 can be a rude awakening.

Not sure what the 1099 is. Not currently contracting...but it's always an option for me with what I do.

Thanks for the feedback, Jibralta. :)

So is it that you don't need an income because you have other sources of $? If not, how many hours a day would you have to devote to this kind of writing and do you have a flexible schedule when deadlines arise? I have a friend who freelances mostly in the area of finance -she is also raising 2 kids so she has to juggle a lot!

Yes. The income part is not necessary...but I have considered the idea that it could potentially provide a very small supplement (key word). The idea would be to nurture something I already enjoy doing during my periods of downtime (a six-month contract for me is often the equivalent of a full year of work for the 9-5, M-F job). So, I can afford to be selective in my process because it really isn't about feeding myself. Supplement.

I've considered the idea of starting some sort of blog (although the word bothers me sometimes). That way I can practice the process and contribute things that interest me without any pressure to ''succeed'' in any way.

Really just looking at ideas...what's worked for others.

The creative stuff is too personal?

No, I just enjoy exploring at my leisure and I can't do that when I'm obligated to deliver the end-product to someone else. Too confining.

Not sure what the 1099 is. Not currently contracting...but it's always an option for me with what I do.

It's a tax form for independent contractors. But to me, it's a symbol of the ridiculous mess I got into when doing work for a client who suddenly put me on his books. I ended up owing like $2000 to the IRS at the end of the year instead of getting money back. So, if you start doing this, I recommend talking to an accountant to learn about your options. You will most likely be taxed differently and you should be prepared.

The idea would be to nurture something I already enjoy doing during my periods of downtime (a six-month contract for me is often the equivalent of a full year of work for the 9-5, M-F job).

I see. You have big chunks of free time on your hands. You won't be up against the same time constraint that I am up against when I freelance. Namely, that I have to cram the side-work into these little pockets of free time between work and sleep, and on the weekends.

What would your blog be about? Have you ever considered vlogging? You can make money this way on YouTube, though I hear the returns aren't as good as they once were.

No, I just enjoy exploring at my leisure and I can't do that when I'm obligated to deliver the end-product to someone else. Too confining.

It's a tax form for independent contractors. But to me, it's a symbol of the ridiculous mess I got into when doing work for a client who suddenly put me on his books. I ended up owing like $2000 to the IRS at the end of the year instead of getting money back. So, if you start doing this, I recommend talking to an accountant to learn about your options. You will most likely be taxed differently and you should be prepared.

I see. You have big chunks of free time on your hands. You won't be up against the same time constraint that I am up against when I freelance. Namely, that I have to cram the side-work into these little pockets of free time between work and sleep, and on the weekends.

What would your blog be about? Have you ever considered vlogging? You can make money this way on YouTube, though I hear the returns aren't as good as they once were.

Ya...foo foo on the tax implications. That's a major turn-off. I've been self-employed at times...but have yet to run into a major issue with the tax man. I'll consider myself lucky...and take your story into consideration moving forward.

The time crunch doesn't feel like a happy place to me...energetically or otherwise. Maybe this is more like a hobby...with the added bonus of (maybe) leading to small doses of monetary prosperity. I don't really know yet.

Vlogging has less appeal to me. Can't say why exactly. I suppose it's just not the medium I find myself exploring. Could be it's geared towards a slightly younger generation.

Going to let this percolate for awhile. Appreciate all of the feedback!

Oh, you can adjust to the 1099 thing. Honestly, I didn't even know there was another way to be taxed until maybe reading this thread, because I've spent my whole adult life in the land 1099s.

I just train my eye to immediately shave of 30 percent of whatever the check says, and when I deposit it, I throw that 30 percent into a "secret" account that I trick myself into forgetting exists until April comes around and I deal with the pinch of emptying that account to Uncle Sam. Then I deal with the pinch by remembering I don't have a boss, can still afford an overpriced cocktail, and so I treat myself to an overpriced cocktail.

It's a weird life, no doubt. Not for everyone. But it sounds like you're itching to explore it, so scratch the itch a bit. A blog, I think, is good way to start. Low stakes, but a place to carve out a voice, experiment, get some feedback.

Archived