Anxiety attack

Annia

Hey everyone!

This is more like venting than anything but if anyone has some advise on what I should do I'm also grateful.

Even though I sometimes have anxiety, it's rare that I feel like this. I had a very stressful day at work, barely slept at night and I'm very worried with everything and feel alone here (foreign country and new in town) and everyone that I can talk about this stuff (in my homeland) is at work and not available to talk and I don't want to bother them.

I just got home and can't stop crying to the point that I almost had convulsions. I feel that I can't think straight today, I feel sick in the stomach and I feel that I can't put things in perspective... like I'm overwhelmed and I'm paralyzed.

I don't know what this is, I've never felt like this.

I'm so sorry you feel this way. Have you tried 4-7-8 breathing (Weil method, just google it) - I think you just have a cumulative effect and sleep deprivation can do a number on anyone. Also make a big warm mug of tea if you have any and use that with the breathing. Is there anything distracting you can do, like going out for a walk or going shopping? Don't try to think straight -just let those feelings be and try "placebo" stuff that also might work like the tea, etc. I understand not wanting to call people but it really is ok if you do. Everything will be all right.

Hey everyone!

This is more like venting than anything but if anyone has some advise on what I should do I'm also grateful.

Even though I sometimes have anxiety, it's rare that I feel like this. I had a very stressful day at work, barely slept at night and I'm very worried with everything and feel alone here (foreign country and new in town) and everyone that I can talk about this stuff (in my homeland) is at work and not available to talk and I don't want to bother them.

I just got home and can't stop crying to the point that I almost had convulsions. I feel that I can't think straight today, I feel sick in the stomach and I feel that I can't put things in perspective... like I'm overwhelmed and I'm paralyzed.

I don't know what this is, I've never felt like this.

Call your parents. I don't think they would be annoyed if their daughter wants to talk to them.

It sounds like you were (are) having an anxiety attack. Make an appointment with your doctor and tell him exactly what you told us. A mild anti-anxiety med might be all you need or at least some kind of supplement that has a calming effect.

If it is an anxiety attack, don't have tea or coffee unless it is decaf because the caffeine will just exacerbate your anxiety.

... and yes, call your parents. They love you and they wouldn't want you to be going through this 'spell' alone.

I hope you feel better now.

I have suffered from anxiety at work. So to me it sounds like anxiety. I would book an appointment so you can see what support there is out there for you.

My really good friend advised me to take some time out and go to the toilet. Take your shoes off and sit on the toilet seat (lid down). With you shoes on the cold tiles. Close your eyes and take deep breaths.

So sorry you are going through this!

I know it's so scary to start somewhere new. So this may have triggered your anxiety to be a little worst than you have experienced.

Talk to your friends and family. Even though they are far away they would still want to know what you are going through and support you.

That was my mistake when I was dealing with my work related anxiety. I didn't tell my close friends or family. That really upset them I didn't lean on them. Don't make that mistake.

You are not alone! Besides you have all of us on here too x

Definitely talking to family over the phone or Skype will help you calm down. Try to make some friends at work and see if anyone wants to go out after work with you. A drink or two each night will also work to relax you. You can also post here. People check in 24 hours a day and can help you get through whatever you're feeling.

Are you just lonely, homesick, or is it something more? But also try the breathing and taking time out like Jellybean said. Try to distract yourself by going out and seeing the city or going to a show or an event. Try to look at it all as an adventure.

Thank you everyone. I ended up taking a shower, drinking tea, doing those breathing exercises and called my mother though we couldn't talk much because she was busy.

I'm calmer today but with a sense of sadness over me.

I'll try to go about my day the best way possible but I think that I might need therapy, because I feel especially vulnerable lately and I don't want to do anything stupid. I'm also always sleep deprived and need to fix it.

I'll also try to not stress so much at work. What happens will happen.

But thank you so much. Posting here has been helping me a lot.

I'm so sorry you have been feeling this way! As someone who has struggled with anxiety, I understand, and I really feel for you. Even with understanding the nature of anxiety, when it's in full motion it can feel so overwhelming.

It sounds like right now if you could get some good sleeps, it would make a big difference. Have you tried visualization? I also really recommend exercise every day. This makes a huge difference for me, I notice the difference when I skip.

I like your posts here, you seem like a genuine person who is stronger than you realize. A lot of people wouldn't have the courage to go out of their comfort zone as much as you have, moving to a foreign country and working outside of your language. Maybe cut yourself some slack, as it's a lot, and it's ok to have some bumps along he road.

It's great you are feeling better.

Glad you reached out to your mum.

The lack of sleep doesn't help. It does make everything feel worst.

There is a herbal remedy that helps sleep called Kalms. That can be very helpful with sleep. Not sure if you can get it where you are.

Also I find a lavender pillow mist is very helpful. I know it doesn't work for everyone and may be more of a placebo but may be worth a try.

It's also helpful to know that when you are anxious and you allow it the anxiety to frighten you, you are likely to spiral into a panic attack. Or at the very least the anxiety feels even more out of control.

It's normal to feel anxious sometimes. Some of us struggle with it more than others. But the trick is to not fight it. Acknowledge it, try to listen to what it's telling you.

Fighting it is much like fighting quicksand. The harder you try to worse it gets.

I've struggled with anxiety for years and understand how painful it can be. When I have a particularly anxious episode, I shift into self care mode.

I don't pretend I can magically make it stop, but I do try to stop what I am doing and spend some quiet time doing things that are comforting for myself.

It eventually passes, but not as soon as I might like it to. But it does. Just ride it out.

I am sorry you are going through this.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Now that you feel better, are you able identified what triggered this panic attack? It might help to write about it. However, if that makes you more anxious, don't do it.

But I agree with Reinvent: listen to what it's telling you.

I suffer from anxiety over my job. None of the suggestions people give me to try to be helpful work. Hot shower, warm bath, melatonin, Z-Quil, chamomile tea, meditation, ambient background sounds, aromatherapy spray, breathing techniques...not a single one of those things or any combination of them can shut off my brain. I lie there and stress about work, thinking "I need to remember to do this and email that person and print this and tell that person that and schedule this and audit that..." It does not end. Ever.

I haven't slept more than 3 patched together hours a night in over 2 weeks. I'm starting to lose it at work and I cannot afford to.

I saw my doctor, who prescribed a medication that aggravates my colitis. Sigh.

Just wanted to let you know I understand.

I suffer from anxiety over my job. None of the suggestions people give me to try to be helpful work. Hot shower, warm bath, melatonin, Z-Quil, chamomile tea, meditation, ambient background sounds, aromatherapy spray, breathing techniques...not a single one of those things or any combination of them can shut off my brain. I lie there and stress about work, thinking "I need to remember to do this and email that person and print this and tell that person that and schedule this and audit that..." It does not end. Ever.

I haven't slept more than 3 patched together hours a night in over 2 weeks. I'm starting to lose it at work and I cannot afford to.

I'm so sorry. I've gone through that too and happy to PM if venting would help.

Wow, I am so sorry. I hate panic attacks! It seems like there is a lot of new stuff in your life, and I know it can be tough to get acclimated and comfortable. have you called you parents/friends? I know that helps to hear their voices. have you tried to see a doctor or counselor? I am hoping you start to feel more comfortable and sleep better. Praying for you.

Oh wow, I am sorry.

I hope you find some answers or solutions soon. That's no way to live.

((hugs))

Thanks for the support.

It doesn't help that my department is understaffed and overworked. And I'm being told repeatedly "You just have to make it happen".

I'm at the point of just allowing the balls to drop. I have probably been giving off the impression that I can do it all, which is not aiding my case for needing more help.

Annia, I am trying to learn the lesson of "You can only do what you can". I think a lot of us get caught in the trap of trying to be Superwoman who can do it all! When we really can't (no one can).

bolt:

I have similar work issues at times. But I have adopted the attitude.

"I they don't care, neither do I"

I've been well known to do more than my share. It served me well in my career advancement, until they take advantage of it. So I just learn not to care so much and dumb it down sometimes. It lessons my anxiety.

When I explained this to my bf, he said it was a sad situation. That they more or less broke my spirit.

It's true. But I just can't care as much as I used to.

It no longer serves me well and after some years of adjustment, I am ok with it.

First and foremost, take care of yourself. . . always. Let the rest fall where it may.

When all is said and done, it's not worth your health.

Archived