Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Bronze Member

Is this normal?

As you all know, I'm following a low calorie diet 6 days a week plus I walk home from work around 40 minutes as a form of exercise. I estimate my calorie intake per day is 1000-1500 calories.

This is where things got me confused. I have a certain cheat day every once a week not to deprived myself. So, mostly on Saturdays, I binge eat a lot starting at 7AM once I wake up. I literally eat A LOT. Biscuits, chocolates, ice cream, instant noodles, and candies for breakfast. Then for lunch I would take out McDonalds or KFC and order A LOT of meals. After that, I treat myself by drinking a grande size frappe from starbucks and a piece of cake. I have this rule I should eat only until 3pm on my cheat day and do a 16-18 hour fasting until the next day. I would feel slobbish and guilty after my cheat day. So, the next day, I won't eat anything till noon. I workout during Sundays and go back to my old diet plan. Then, the cycle goes on every week.

I don't know if it's normal to binge eat uncontrollably on ny cheat day. Even when I'm full, I force myself to eat and eat because that's the only day I can cheat my diet. Then I would feel slobbish and ashamed of cheating my diet. Once I lost all the water weight though, I go back into tempting and thinking what I want to eat on my cheat day again.

Bronze Member
    Also, I would like to know if this is some form of binge eating disorder or this is totally normal? I've read articles about BED and some said it's BED if binge eating happens at least once a week in the first 3 months. I've been doing this routine over a year now.

Why are you forcing yourself to binge eat? That doesnít sound disordered to me, just a bit YOLO, but I donít know.

Youíre not at a significant calorie deficit. Binge eating that much will likely counteract any deficit you have through the week

Also - you insist you have a disorder for managing your calorie intake. Then you say you have one for binging.

Do you want to have an eating disorder?

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by mustlovedogs
    Also - you insist you have a disorder for managing your calorie intake. Then you say you have one for binging.

Do you want to have an eating disorder?

Of course not. I just want to make sure and know if my diet routine is healthy or it could be going overboard

It is definitely not normal. You should never force yourself to eat in excess.

Having a cheat day is normal. But cheating because you feel you HAVE to is not normal.

Normal, I think, is whatever we decide to call normal and feel good about. Normal for me used to be yoga seven days a week, followed by beer and cigarettes, because, well, I really liked yoga, beer, and cigarettes.

What, exactly, is the goal of this routineóbe it the militant calorie counting, the binging on cheat days, the whole diet? Are you trying to lose weight? Look better? Feel better?

I mean, if this is working for youógreat.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    As you all know, I'm following a low calorie diet 6 days a week plus I walk home from work around 40 minutes as a form of exercise. I estimate my calorie intake per day is 1000-1500 calories.

This is where things got me confused. I have a certain cheat day every once a week not to deprived myself. So, mostly on Saturdays, I binge eat a lot starting at 7AM once I wake up. I literally eat A LOT. Biscuits, chocolates, ice cream, instant noodles, and candies for breakfast. Then for lunch I would take out McDonalds or KFC and order A LOT of meals. After that, I treat myself by drinking a grande size frappe from starbucks and a piece of cake. I have this rule I should eat only until 3pm on my cheat day and do a 16-18 hour fasting until the next day. I would feel slobbish and guilty after my cheat day. So, the next day, I won't eat anything till noon. I workout during Sundays and go back to my old diet plan. Then, the cycle goes on every week.

I don't know if it's normal to binge eat uncontrollably on ny cheat day. Even when I'm full, I force myself to eat and eat because that's the only day I can cheat my diet. Then I would feel slobbish and ashamed of cheating my diet. Once I lost all the water weight though, I go back into tempting and thinking what I want to eat on my cheat day again.
    That is seriously out of hand. You can have a cheat day, but that does not imply that you should take in 10,000 calories in one day. That is out of control.

A cheat day for me, would be having a normal breakfast and lunch, then a cheat dinner with a dessert. That is it.

That's is super unhealthy to do that to your body. I suggest you see a nutritionist or start a program. Fasting after putting all that sugar in your body is not good either.

You know that this isn't normal, and you are sabotaging your weight loss.

Platinum Member
    So many years ago there was a popular diet with a cheat day that encouraged this type of binging. I did it as a teenager for awhile and I think itís very unhealthy for the body and mind. Hereís what I do that works for me. I donít diet. I had s borderline eating disorder many years ago and I got over it and I wonít ďdietĒ. But. I do portion control and I drink tons of water - at least 10 glasses a day plus no soda or diet soda or other drinks other than coffee with some milk every day. I do not eat sweets between meals but I do eat some sweets. Onto the ďcheatingĒ. On weekends I allow myself an extra small dessert twice during the weekend. I never eat past being full so I wonít eat that dessert if Iím full. I have been a normal weight and thin basically my whole life other than when I was pregnant and for a few months after. I also have been exercising regularly since 1982 and 5-7 times a week for many years (7 times for the last 5 years). The water, exercise, portion control, sweets in moderation and a little extra on weekends (or vacation or holidays) keeps me healthy about my body image and food. Cheating like you describe would get me back into disorder territory fast. If I ever had to lose weight Iíd likely try weight watchers. Iíve heard thatís the most common sense approach.

Platinum Member
    I have the same binge "schedule". I binge on the weekends but I binge on meat and fruits mostly. I do eat a lot though, like 4-4.5K calories sometimes. During the week I am at a calorie deficit( 1800-1900 calories). I workout (intense weight lifting) about 4-5 hours per week and some weekends I walk about 3 hours. If I binge more than I should on a weekend then I am at deficit for two weeks. Usually, I put on a kilo or two, then I lose them before I binge again.

So no, you are not alone lol. But you have to be at deficit until you lose what you have gained after binging.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice