Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Recruiter/HR got mad at me today

  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    180

    Recruiter/HR got mad at me today

    Okay so we have a rule in our company that any letter that goes through our office addressing our company's name, it's my responsibility to open it and place it at my boss' table.

    However, today was a huge mistake. The receptionist gave me the letter addressing to the HR/recruiter. I asked the secretary if it's okay to open and she said yes. So I opened it and showed it to my boss but he didn't read it. I went to the HR and gave it to her.

    To my surprise, she got so mad at me because the letter was supposed to be confidential. She told me if the letter addresses to her, it means it's personal. I apologized and told her it won't ever happen again. The rest of the day she looked mad at me.

    I don't understand is that the letter had my company's address so I thought it means I have to open it. Then the secretary told me there are times there are personal mails we shouldn't open which confuses me more. Because she told me while back it was okay to open and now she's telling me that it was the HR's fault she didn't told the receptionist and me that there was gonna be a confidential letter? The receptionist is also a newbie like me so she didn't also had a clue that the letter should be directly given to the HR.

    I am really confused with the system. Also, I felt so bad the rest of the day I thought that I made a huge mistake. I felt more anxious and begin to wonder if I will pass my evaluation. I know it's most likely not my fault but it felt and looked like it was my fault. I'm scared the HR might think I am not trustworthy.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator annie24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    46,892
    Hugs. I don't think this was a huge deal, this sounds like an honest mistake. I know next time you will be more careful before opening. I would tell that to your boss, that you learned your lesson and that you won't do that again.

  3. #3
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    180
    Originally Posted by annie24
    Hugs. I don't think this was a huge deal, this sounds like an honest mistake. I know next time you will be more careful before opening. I would tell that to your boss, that you learned your lesson and that you won't do that again.
    Thank you. I'm almost working here for 2 months and it still upsets me at times I still commit the same errors and today the HR getting mad scared me. I hope I can recover from my same mistakes soon

  4. #4
    Platinum Member itsallgrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,882
    What is your position?

    It sounds like an honest mistake. I would ask for clarification if you are confused.

  5.  

  6. #5
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    180
    Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    What is your position?

    It sounds like an honest mistake. I would ask for clarification if you are confused.
    I'm somewhat an assistant to the general manager but my work is much less than the secretary. Basically, I do clerical stuffs.

    And yes it was an honest mistake. I never intended to read confidential letters. Heck, I didn't even read the letter. I just opened it and went upstairs and gave it to her.

  7. #6
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    180
    Also, I did apologize to her. I told her "I'm sorry ma'am. I won't do it again" because that's the best thing I can do as a co-worker

  8. #7
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    29,928
    Gender
    Male
    Is there a language barrier or some other sort of confusion? Why open letters when the company policy and your job description is to only open letters addressed to the company's name? It's not confusing at all. If it's addressed to another person/department, why ask the secretary if you can open it?
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    we have a rule in our company that any letter that goes through our office addressing our company's name, it's my responsibility to open it and place it at my boss' table.

    addressing to the HR/recruiter. I asked the secretary if it's okay to open and she said yes. So I opened it and showed it to my boss but he didn't read it. I went to the HR and gave it to her.

  9. #8
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    17,486
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Is there a language barrier or some other sort of confusion? Why open letters when the company policy and your job description is to only open letters addressed to the company's name? It's not confusing at all. If it's addressed to another person/department, why ask the secretary if you can open it?
    I have to agree. If it is addressed to a specific person or dept. it should be opened by that person or dept.

    It was an honest mistake. If in doubt, ask a higher up.

  10. #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    180
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Is there a language barrier or some other sort of confusion? Why open letters when the company policy and your job description is to only open letters addressed to the company's name? It's not confusing at all. If it's addressed to another person/department, why ask the secretary if you can open it?
    Because the secretary told me the "standard" rule even if it was addressed to another person but the address of the letter is the company's address, it still has to be seen by my boss. And if you are asking why I have to ask the secretary, she told me just yesterday "ask me first on any letters that goes through here before opening it"

    I've opened mails before that were addressed to other people and I opened it. The result was fine so I thought it was okay to open the HR's mail. It turns out, it wasn't. That's where things got me confused.

  11. #10
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    29,928
    Gender
    Male
    What's surprising is that you think opening other people's mail when it's clearly addressed to them and it's not your job to open it, that the person/dept it is addressed to wouldn't be upset by this. You clearly read the address. You clearly know the company policy. Why would you even ask the secretary? Hopefully you didn't try to blame her for what you did.
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    To my surprise, she got so mad at me because the letter was supposed to be confidential. She told me if the letter addresses to her, it means it's personal.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •