Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Recruiter/HR got mad at me today

Bronze Member
    Cool, I can delete this then too. :)

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    There are times yes I still make the same mistakes that are avoidable.
    You need to stop being so careless and pay closer attention. I don't know if this is due to the fact that you are so anxious in your work environment, but you must be more careful.
    Last edited by Hollyj; 11-09-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Platinum Member
    It seems that you read/understand everything so literal and perhaps don't understand nuance?

Are you really as dense as mud or do you perhaps have Asperger's or a learning disability. I am not trying to say that to be funny or coarse in any way.

Of course every piece of mail has the company's name on it -- but not all mail is just general solicitation.

If that is what the boss states is part of your job description then just take it literally and do exactly that. Not more, not less, not something else. When you stop trying to reinterpret your job description life will get easier for you. Everyone has had entry level jobs at some point. Perhaps the rules seem silly but if you want a paycheck you follow them until you get a better job.
    I don't understand is as to why my boss have this instruction any mails that has the company's address should be opened and go through him.

Platinum Member
    You need to be more meticulous. Mistakes are only acceptable the first time, so think before you act. If I made mistakes repeatedly, I'd be fired. I work in a firm where there is no room for mistakes.

Qwerty, when I started working in business (legal), I took a class in "general office procedures" at community college.

What I learned:

1. Stay focused

2. When given a verbal instruction, write it down and if there is any confusion, ask for clarification at the the time. When given an instruction via email, same if the instruction is not clear.

In your situation with the mail, you really should have clarified -- do I open mail ONLY addressed to the company but with no name? Or both company and name except when it says "personal and confidential"?

3. Learn to be detail-oriented. All my employees have said it's one if my strongest assets, that and being a team player.

4. Communication skills

And finally,

5. Good ole common sense!

I echo what another said about your being so anxious and unsure of yourself, you can't keep the proper focus on your work, hence all the mistakes you're making.

And again, if you could let us know what types of mistakes you're making, we may be better able to advise you how to avoid in the future.

Originally Posted by katrina1980

3. Learn to be detail-oriented. All my employees have said it's one if my strongest assets, that and being a team player.
    *Employers*. :)

Platinum Member
    And you never know. Someday you may be your employees’ employer or vice versa so if indeed they think so too that’s also great 😉

And maybe this is an area I need to improve: understanding the context without being told. That I have to analyze and understand it on my own.
    No, you're not required to be a mind reader, but relying on the advice of someone who is new doesn't make any sense.

You aren't clear about which mail to open. That's not a crime, but you're not going to correct the problem with guesswork.

When mail comes in addressed to the company with no name in the address or the 'attention' line, then your boss wants to see it because he or she understands who would be the best recipient for it.

However, when mail comes in with someone's name on it, it's most likely theirs to open--so put it in their pile.

Since you are unclear about this, explain what happened to your boss and ask for further clarification.

The one thing you ARE clear about (I hope) is that anything that comes in with the mad lady's name on it should not be opened.

Head high, this is not a tragedy, but you need to take the initiative to learn the CORRECT context from someone who knows--NOT the new girl.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Give Advice
Ask For Advice