Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recruiter/HR got mad at me today

^ Exactly what Redress said.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    No, I don't plan on quitting this job. Actually, I wanna stay as a regular because it's near and there is self growth. I just find it hard to adjust and I'm doing my best to deal with people. Fortunately, I didn't show any emotions in front of the HR when she got mad. I apologized right away and told her it won't happen again.

Although I do admit I was kinda disappointed to myself a few minutes after that incident, I calmed myself and tried to finish all my tasks.

It's my first time to work in an actual job (excluding my internship) so I still find it hard to adjust. Hopefully I can adjust soon. I am really doing my best to pass my evaluation period.
    You "tried" to finish all your tasks?

At work there is no "try". You do what is assigned to you.

If you're getting so upset over a minor mistake that you're not getting your work done, an adjustment of your expectations for your workplace is in order.

The other day at my job, one of the managers took me aside and basically ripped into me for 15 minutes. I stayed calm, didn't interrupt, and at the end of the conversation I said "I understand, I will take care of it". No tears, no slinking around looking apologetic, no looking over my shoulder to see if that manager was "looking mad", I simply got my work done. I didn't "try"; I did the work I am paid to do.

This is a good lesson for you. You're paid to do a job. Sometimes there will be feedback and sometimes it won't be positive. Stay professional and complete your tasks. How you react to feedback is how you'll be viewed, not the fact that you made a mistake.

Being honest, I'd probably lose respect for you for opening mail that's been personally addressed. That doesn't mean you're going to get canned or anything. I'd just accept the fact this particular person probably isn't going to be a water cooler pal any time soon. There's just a lot of "why?" in this scenario and a pretty fundamental lack of ability or willingness to employ some independent thought and basic ethics. Even operating under the premise that opening people's mail is just what you do, between the nature of it being personally addressed and it being sent to HR personnel, there's no reason to rely on the discretion of a receptionist you admit is a "newbie" like you. Logically, it would seem the purpose of opening letters addressed to the company is to not have your boss wasting his time filtering out irrelevant correspondences. That purpose is inherently fulfilled by the letter being addressed specifically to someone else.

Normally, I'd say it's a case of someone being nosey or a bit entitled, but I think this stems from an utter lack of confidence for your part. I have no idea what kind of worker you'd be if you started sitting up straight. You gotta be confident in your professional and interpersonal common sense, and knowing what to ask and who to ask when the need should arise.

Platinum Member
    Yes I am confused why you are supposed to open the envelope in the first place. Ask why and say you are asking because you want to know whether you're supposed to open it so you can then organize it in a particular manner.

Again, I ask: do you keep making the *same* mistakes?

This is extremely clear. It doesn't state ask the secretary, it doesn't state open mail addressed to individual people or departments. It states open mail addressed to the company and place it on the boss's desk.
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    we have a rule in our company that any letter that goes through our office addressing our company's name, it's my responsibility to open it and place it at my boss' table.

Platinum Member
    Personal and confidential mail should be addressed "Personal" or "Confidential." Was this a personal correspondence or was it just a resume? Also, is the receptionist suppose to separate out HR mail from other mail? Anything that's personal should not be sent to your work place. It's just business etiquette. I think people are just grumpy and are picking you you because you're young.

you were only following instructions.
    the company obviously hasn't made it clear what the process is fo opening mail and how to identify confidential mail.
    Explain that you ASKED and were instructed to open it thus you were only following instructions... and that "in the interset" of never repeating that mistake - that you would like them to come up with an agreed upon procedure of how to identify confidential mail and what the process is when one is identified. (int his case.. something as easy as, "if somebody is sending you confidential email, please ENSURE they marek it "ATTN: person's name" or "ATTN: DEPT name" or to always add ONLY to the and of the ATTN (ATTN: Jane Doe only or ATTN: HR ONLY).

If the company can adhere to and agree upon a common, consistent proces to identify confidential mail and the process on handling such mail - then mistkae shouldn't happen again.
    They should also agree if it's truly that important to them.

This was NOT your fault. If HR didnt' instruct and provide this infromation CLEARLY to you before it happened, they have only themselves to blame.

I agree with JMan.... you seem to follow these rules without really understanding them. You might think it absolves you of responsibility if you make a mistake ("I was just following company policy") but it is your responsibility to understand the policies and to be able to use your own judgement to make the right decisions about things.

You need to put some effort into trying to understand these policies and where they came from so you can make better decisions about things.

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by j.man
    Being honest, I'd probably lose respect for you for opening mail that's been personally addressed. That doesn't mean you're going to get canned or anything. I'd just accept the fact this particular person probably isn't going to be a water cooler pal any time soon. There's just a lot of "why?" in this scenario and a pretty fundamental lack of ability or willingness to employ some independent thought and basic ethics. Even operating under the premise that opening people's mail is just what you do, between the nature of it being personally addressed and it being sent to HR personnel, there's no reason to rely on the discretion of a receptionist you admit is a "newbie" like you. Logically, it would seem the purpose of opening letters addressed to the company is to not have your boss wasting his time filtering out irrelevant correspondences. That purpose is inherently fulfilled by the letter being addressed specifically to someone else.

Normally, I'd say it's a case of someone being nosey or a bit entitled, but I think this stems from an utter lack of confidence for your part. I have no idea what kind of worker you'd be if you started sitting up straight. You gotta be confident in your professional and interpersonal common sense, and knowing what to ask and who to ask when the need should arise.
    It terrifies me that the HR might lose respect to me either because of the incident yesterday. My friends and family told me it's not really a huge mistake but it felt huge that i could hurt my professional relationship with the HR.

It's my first time working at an actual job so everything about committing mistakes and dealing with people terrifies with me but I try my best not to show it emotionally at work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice