LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recruiter/HR got mad at me today

Bronze Member
    Actually there isn't a "company policy" regarding this one. It was my boss who thought of that but it's not impossible for personal mails to be brought to our company. I find this hard because I don't know which side should I take or do

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    What's surprising is that you think opening other people's mail when it's clearly addressed to them and it's not your job to open it, that the person/dept it is addressed to wouldn't be upset by this. You clearly read the address. You clearly know the company policy. Why would you even ask the secretary? Hopefully you didn't try to blame her for what you did.
    That's because I've already experienced opening letters that were addressed to others and it was okay. Anyways, what confuses me is that even if it was addressed to another person, the standard rule is that if the address of the letter is our company's, it still means it has to go through my boss. Actually, I forgot to mention the proccess is that it will first go through the receptionist and the receptionist will give it to us which means it's okay for it to open.

No I didn't blame the secretary at work. It was really an honest mistake and now at least I know when or when to not open a letter

Take whose side? You apologized, so that should be the end of it, no?
    Originally Posted by Qwerty55
    I don't know which side should I take or do

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Take whose side? You apologized, so that should be the end of it, no?
    No, I mean which side should I do, open the letter automatically or give it to the corresponding addressee? Because when I didn't open another letter yesterday, the secretary kinda got annoyed and told me to automatically open it. That's where I get really confused.

Platinum Member
    Ask your boss for clarification, not the secretary.

You are making this much more complicated than it needs to be.

We cannot answer these questions, we are not your employer.

IMHO, if a letter is addressed to ABC Corp., open it and take it to your boss. If it is addressed to Mrs. Jane Smith at ABC Corp., take it to her. I would ask your boss for clarification, not the secretary because she is still new.

You keep saying youíre making the same mistakes. If they are, in fact, the same mistakes, thatís a problem. You get to make a mistake once before it starts it look bad.

Platinum Member
    Are you looking for excuses to quit this job too?

Look, it's work. It isn't going to be a happy picnic every day. If you're looking for a job where there will never be any conflicts at all, that job doesn't exist.

HR was most likely not looking mad all day. You just think they were.

Try to remember you're a professional. Conduct yourself like one. If you act upset, get teary eyed or slink around all day acting frightened, you will not get far in the professional world.

Bronze Member
    No, I don't plan on quitting this job. Actually, I wanna stay as a regular because it's near and there is self growth. I just find it hard to adjust and I'm doing my best to deal with people. Fortunately, I didn't show any emotions in front of the HR when she got mad. I apologized right away and told her it won't happen again.

Although I do admit I was kinda disappointed to myself a few minutes after that incident, I calmed myself and tried to finish all my tasks.

It's my first time to work in an actual job (excluding my internship) so I still find it hard to adjust. Hopefully I can adjust soon. I am really doing my best to pass my evaluation period.

Platinum Member
    I think that you should ask your boss (not the secretary) WHY you are doing what you are doing. Try to understand the process.

It doesnít make much sense that your job is to open the mail. Anyone can open an envelope and itís not terribly time consuming. They donít have to hire someone for that.

There is almost certainly a greater purpose for doing what you are doing. Whether thatís to filter out the junk or to sort or to look for checks or what have you. And the default, when you donít know what to do, is probably just to put it on your bossís desk.

I think that if you better understand the value that they want you to bring to the process, you will be able to apply thought and reasoning and do a better job. If you are asked to open something that you donít understand why - ask how they made that decision and how itís different from the other mail so that you can find these situations yourself in future.

I think that you should ask your boss these questions and not the secretary - because I strongly suspect the secretary doesnít know either and therefore they will give you bad/misleading answers or simply not answer your questions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice