Unpleasant childhood memory

As many know I have opened my own home daycare. In my care is a before and after school child of the age of 5.

At about 5 years old I had a very traumatic experience. My dad tried to run my mom over with a car that I was a passenger in. I remember screaming and crying and begging him not to hurt my mom. I remember holding my brother down on the floor of the car so he could not see. He was 2 at the time. I remember my dad screaming at me to “ shut up stupid.”

This memory has come to me a few times this week. I am assuming because I am caring for a child that age.

Just had to get it out of my head and onto “ paper” so to speak. A reminder to people that the affects of abuse of children doesn’t go away and affects all aspects of your life even if you are a productive and functioning person.

My mother was verbally and physically abusive, she hit first and didnt ask questions later. She used a wooden spoon to whack me - a lot. Stuff like that stays in your memory, and to this day I have no wooden spoons in my house. One time I won a draw and got a huge stainless steel mixing bowl with a really big wooden paddle/spoon. I kept the bowl and threw the wooden spoon in the woodstove. So I can understand the memory you are having and how it affects you.

Look into EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). I use this method to deal with trauma and it does seem to diminish the visceral reaction to awful memories.

I have done EMDR which has been very effective. I don’t usually have visceral reactions anymore. I notice sometimes things come to mind.

My goodness I am so sorry you went through that. I was abused as a child and it will forever be imbedded in my mind. But that doesn’t have to ever be who you are! There is healing. I know a book that helped me a lot was Mending the Soul by Steven Tracy. It helped me understand so much. I am praying for you and the kiddos you are helping.

My goodness I am so sorry you went through that. I was abused as a child and it will forever be imbedded in my mind. But that doesn’t have to ever be who you are! There is healing. I know a book that helped me a lot was Mending the Soul by Steven Tracy. It helped me understand so much. I am praying for you and the kiddos you are helping.

Thank-you, yes, I understand. I hope you feel better too. :)

Oh my gosh, what a terrible memory. I'm so sorry you had to endure that, and at such a young age. Took strength for you to be able to type that out, I'm sure.

It is an abuse memory I won’t forget for sure. I think I have mentioned it on here. But I have a hard time talking about these things with friends because it makes them cry . And I have a hard time talking to my mom about it because it makes her feel guilty . I remember talking about somethings with a friend and her daughter in a restaurant and her daughter just burst into tears . Her daughter is an adult by the way she’s 43 . She said she was just so horrified for me she just burst into tears . I think things are coming to the forefront again because I have change in my life again . Change precipitates a lot of anxiety issues and memories . Even if it’s a change that is going to do me a lot of good .

Archived