Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Female Physio is interested?

My Female Physio is interested?

Hello all,

I have been to physiotherapy a few times now, and increasingly I'm beginning to think my (female) physiotherapist is attracted to me - though it could be wishful thinking as she is an attractive woman and perhaps I am reading into things. We are around the same age i think.

I haven't been to physiotherapy before, so initially i thought her lingering touches, rubbing my legs slowly and gently , was just part of the treatment and part of the way physio's assess patients. It just seemed like there was more to it however but i put it out of my mind.

Then, after the last session she says there is another physiotherapist that is senior to her that could take over, and then she made a big point of telling me that she'd like to do the next assessment and she'd like to keep seeing me but that it is up to me if i want to go to the senior physiotherapist or stay with her. I said ok i'll see the senior one for one issue and her for the other issues, and she seemed quite relieved almost and said that she'll deal with some issues and we can then keep seeing each other. She also gave me her office number and told me to directly call her to arrange the next appointment. I did and I have another appointment with her this week.

She was looking at the floor and seemed very nervous when saying all this btw. Am i being over-imaginative here? Is she just being friendly as a physiotherapist would be?

It's very very common to develop a crush on good looking people who are care takers...nurses, doctors, teachers, etc. Especially if you are lonely and don't have someone in your life. Obviously a physiotherapist, nurse, doctor, massage therapist, etc has to touch you as part of their job.

It sounds like she is becoming aware of your crush and is therefore seeking to refer you. Try not to creep her out with your fantasies.
    Originally Posted by craig62
    she is an attractive woman and perhaps I am reading into things. i thought her lingering touches, rubbing my legs slowly and gently

after the last session she says there is another physiotherapist that is senior to her that could take over. I said ok i'll see the senior one for one issue and her for the other issues, and she seemed quite relieved.

So she's trying to politely get rid of me? i was conflicted as she said that she'd like to keep seeing me and wants to do the next assessment, though there is a senior physiotherapist, but it's up to me what i'd like to do. From an objective lens that is a way of politely getting rid of me. Though i haven't been obvious in any way, not to my knowledge.

Thanks for the wake up call.

We are both in our mid 20s, learning curve.
    Last edited by craig62; 11-06-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Platinum Member
    Yes, it sounds as though she's trying to keep a professional distance whilst still remaining in her caring role. This can be very embarrassing for the carer - which is why she was looking at the floor and appeared nervous. The physical touch is part of the treatment, of course, and it would be very wrong to read any more into it. Apart from anything, any intention other than a therapeutic one would constitute a serious breach of professional boundaries and could lead to disciplinary action, or worse, for her.

It would be a huge mistake to interpret
    we can then keep seeing each other
    as anything other than in a professional role, so really - don't push it!

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by craig62
    So she's trying to politely get rid of me? i was conflicted as she said that she'd like to keep seeing me and wants to do the next assessment, though there is a senior physiotherapist, but it's up to me what i'd like to do. From an objective lens that is a way of politely getting rid of me. Though i haven't been obvious in any way, not to my knowledge.

Thanks for the wake up call.

We are both in our mid 20s, learning curve.
    Her actions can be interpreted both ways. Take the guesswork out of this. Next time as her questions like where she grew up and if she does physiotherapy for her family. Ask if her boyfriend gets free sessions. Basically find out if she has a boyfriend. If she does then you know it's not going anywhere. If she is single you could ask her out to coffee and see if she's willing. Ask her something like, would you be willing to go out for coffee if a patient asked you. If she says yes, then, "how about if that patient was me?". If also yes then, "Hey would you like to go out for coffee?". Each of these are small steps you can take to find out more and see if there is interest. If she says she has a boyfriend, or she doesn't date patients, then you know it's not going to go anywhere even if she is interested.

In the US it is unethical to date a patient and can carry serious consequences. She has already picked up on this and appropriately talked to her senior therapist and asked him to see that therapist instead, as any professional would.

No do not ask any personal flirty questions. Her actions are not "both ways" she is not "rubbing his legs" as some sort of come-on. That is his imagination. It's a physiotherapy office not a "massage parlor" in Bangkok, a singles bar or strip club. She not there to feed his imagination as if she's doing lap dances because she has to touch him.
    Originally Posted by Mari
    Ask if her boyfriend gets free sessions. Basically find out if she has a boyfriend. If she is single you could ask her out to coffee and see if she's willing. Ask her something like, would you be willing to go out for coffee if a patient asked you.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Mari
    Her actions can be interpreted both ways. Take the guesswork out of this. Next time as her questions like where she grew up and if she does physiotherapy for her family. Ask if her boyfriend gets free sessions. Basically find out if she has a boyfriend. If she does then you know it's not going anywhere. If she is single you could ask her out to coffee and see if she's willing. Ask her something like, would you be willing to go out for coffee if a patient asked you. If she says yes, then, "how about if that patient was me?". If also yes then, "Hey would you like to go out for coffee?". Each of these are small steps you can take to find out more and see if there is interest. If she says she has a boyfriend, or she doesn't date patients, then you know it's not going to go anywhere even if she is interested.
    I think that that would be highly inappropriate. The doctor patient relationship should remain professional. A doctor is not supposed to date a patient, especially someone dealing with psychiatry.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by wiseman2
    in the us it is unethical to date a patient and can carry serious consequences. No do not ask any personal flirty questions. Her actions are not "both ways" she is not "rubbing his legs" as some sort of come-on. That is his imagination. It's a physiotherapy office not a "massage parlor" in bangkok.

lol...........

Platinum Member
    Ask if her boyfriend gets free sessions.
    Completely inappropriate. OP - if you want to ensure you never get seen by a female physio again, do as Mari suggests.

Oh wow...no, don't ask her if she has a bf or cross that line. You will embarrass her and embarrass yourself.

I think she is handing you off to another physio because she possible got the vibes off of you that you were enjoying the therapy a bit too much.

Best to realize now that any professional that is helping you, whether it is a nurse or therapist or physiotherapist, or even a waitress...is doing their job and aren't trying to find a date.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice