Hello, I've been dealing with a dilemma for a long time now and none of my close friends have been able to give me a solid answer. The situation goes as follows (With friends names being changed around for privacy reasons)

I have a "friend" who we'll call Timothy and we've known eachother for about 3 years now, we've never been particularly close but we still talk often and we know a fair bit about eachother's personal life.

But Timothy has this awful hyperfixation on his old ex, who I'll call Samantha. Even though he's moved on from Samantha and has a new girlfriend (I'll call her Rosie) he still constantly talks about Samantha and whines about how abusive she was even though, in retrospect, the relationship lasted a month and the "abuse" was Samantha ignoring his calls. Samantha never touched or hit him, never emotionally abused him, just ignored him sometimes.

So it's been about 2 years since he broke up with Samantha and Samantha runs a pretty popular poetry blog now, lots of people enjoy her content and this makes Timothy mad. He believes that since Samantha "abused" him, no one else should be allowed to have positive viewpoints about Samantha.

He constantly texts her on her blog pretending to be other people to get information out of her and asking her if she "Misses Timothy", and floods her request inbox with spam and slurs.

Samantha slowly found out that this was Timothy and blocked him, writing a public statement to avoid him and adressing what she thought about the situation. Samantha was very nice about it though (A little passive aggressive but if you were harassed for 8 months by multiple hidden identities you'd be pretty pissed too) saying she just didn't want to interact with him anymore and let the past die.

Timothy was upset that she'd put up a public statement against him because now more and more people were avoiding him and refusing to do comissions or any of the sort for him. Timothy then moved on to Rosie, who was an old friend he'd met in highschool. I've personally met Rosie and she's a lovely person to be around, very patient and sweet and knows nothing about the Samantha incident. Timothy is the exact opposite of her and whenever I've been with the two together Timothy will constantly tell her to shut up or threaten her with physical violence if she doesn't do something right.

I feel really bad for Rosie and I don't want her to get hurt. I just want to know if I should tell her about what he'd done to Samantha and his strange obsessions he still has for her, but I'm worried that Timothy will turn this on it's head and go after Rosie in the same way he did to Samantha if I tell her.

Thoughts?

Well, I think Timothy is a bully, and he is abusive. In fact, he's also crazy and Samantha would have been within her rights to get a restraining order against him and perhaps file charges of harassment.

Normally I would say butt out and say nothing, but if you're all hanging out together and Samantha happens to come up in conversation, and Rosie finds out what he did, well, it might have just been the wine talking.

Also if you're present when Timothy tells her to shut up and threatens her with physical violence, you can call him out on it right there. Tell him he's being abusive to Rosie and that she shouldn't have to take it. That might then lead to a discussion of the Samantha incident.

This way the information comes out naturally rather than you texting or calling Rosie in the middle of the night to snitch on Timothy. And she can realize things for herself about the relationship.

Do you have a crush on him? Do you have a bf? It's unclear why you are dealing with his drama and whining.

I have a "friend" who we'll call Timothy and we've known eachother for about 3 years now, we've never been particularly close but we still talk often and we know a fair bit about eachother's personal life.

Frankly, I'm wondering why you would be friends with someone like him?

Had you distanced yourself from this sociopath (by all accounts) you wouldn't know how he mistreats and abuses women and you could get on with your life without wondering what you should do that doesn't involve you.

Should you tell Rosie about how he treated Samantha? No, clearly she is fine with his treatment so knowing how he treated others won't do a thing to get her to move on from him. Mind your beeswax until you witness his verbal abuse again and then maybe you'd be kind to defend her honor at the time and forget about what he did to Samantha and concentrate on what he's currently doing to Rosie.

There are Lawyers who can write a cease and desist letter on Rosie's behalf and Samantha's behalf if your sociopathic 'friend' continues on after any ending to his dysfunctional unions.

I just want to know if I should tell her

This guy had a relationship with lady S that ended.

He behaved badly.

He now has a relationship with lady R.

Why do you want to wade in and ruin his relationship with lady R?

Do you want him for yourself ... or not want him, and still not want him to be with anyone else?

The answer to your question is "no, you should mind your own business."

You sound like the Isabel to Larry's Sophie.

Archived