When to ask to grab coffee?

vzmy6688

Hi, I was seeing someone for a little over two months and felt like we kicked it off. We both shared the same values and opinions on most things and I think we were really in sync. I think both of us were happy. But, the thing is that about two weeks ago she broke it off because she received an email from a professor (we're both currently in different schools about half an hour drive away from each other) basically saying she needs to do better in one of her classes. I think things were going great before then in terms of our relationship and we were both pretty invested in each other, so I am fairly certain that it was her academics that caused her to break it off, although I cannot guarantee this. I understand where she's coming from; there's a couple of aspects about her commute to school and other personal things I won't get into now and I think she just had a lot on her plate. She was always hesitant in making things official (we were never 'officially dating'); I had presumed it was because we wanted to take things slow especially since we met online, but I think it was also in part due to trying to see if she could fit a relationship into her life.

It's been two weeks and I still can't stop thinking about her and I want to reach out to her (have not been communicating at all during this time), especially since I think we ended on good standing in terms of our relationship. She has told me that she doesn't want me to wait for her, but I would be really happy if we could even just meet for coffee or lunch once every two weeks and put any relationship on hold until she adjusts better in terms of academics. Even if she can't meet for coffee, I am still willing to wait until she is ready and try to rekindle something, but my only concern is that I wait too long without contacting her and she moves on. But I don't want to be too early in asking either because she may still be trying to pick up schoolwork.

When would be a good time to ask her to grab coffee or something (how long should I wait)? Is it okay for me to get coffee with her to catch up and try and see if we can meet on an infrequent basis just to stay in touch until she's ready?

Thank you!

Well, were you actually dating or just hanging out? You didn't make it sound like a relationship, and obviously the point of going to college is to study, not waste the money that it's costing to go there. It's also possible you were just wasting her time, feelings weren't progressing, and that's why she broke things off. You can contact her when the semester's over and finals are done and see what she says.

It sounds like you are doing exactly what she said not to do - waiting. It sucks when someone who is ending a relationship makes contradictory statements, but try to see the real message here. Meeting up for coffee every two weeks is something friends do. She wants you either as a friend or plan B. Since that clearly is not what you want, let her go and move on.

Archived