Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Divide between family and parent's partner

Well I do get why you wouldn't be thrilled with her. From what you describe, she sounds like a user. It's particularly telling that she's getting all pissed off and trying to turn your dad against all of you because he's not jumping to sell his house, marry her, and buy a house that would be in her name too.

So now your dad is upset because of the manipulation she is pulling with trying to get her way with him. Who's the easiest people to blame - well the people he knows will be there for him no matter what .

Her stressing and freaking about her trying to set up her next meal ticket and pressuring your dad has zero to do with how any of you treated her. It's just a diversion.

If you keep all this in mind when you see him, it will be easier . He's hurting and he's lashing out. Just be there for him and avoid going into this topic right now. If they get back together, you can worry about that then.

Dad's a grown man capable of making his own choices, and his love life is not a democracy. I'd focus on my own relationship with him and his partner if he wants her, and I'd shut down any badmouthing of either of them in front of me. Period.

Imagine the roles reversed and you've been seeing someone for 3 years and your family refers to them as "this person", and excludes them from family gatherings. Wouldn't you feel like they don't like your partner? Your partner might have faults, you two might have had ups and downs in your relationship, but do you like it when your family decides for you that that the person you've been pretty serious about isn't good for you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice