Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to quit fear from presentation

Use a mouth moisturizing mouthwash and gum like Biotene before your presentation and bring a small bottle of water to the podium with you. Sip it as you point toward your slide, and recognize that you don't need to fill every second with speech.

Consider your attitude and perceptions to be more important than your delivery, because what you generate in your mind translates into your behavior. Address your audience as though you want to relax them to enjoy your speech, and apply that intention to yourself. The best speeches come from people who ENJOY their topic and want to share it with the people in the room. What a contrast to those who treat a speech as a chore!

Consider that most of your audience is equally indebted to you for being part of THEIR audience, so be supportive of their presentations and help generate a 'we're all in this together' spirit among the group. Carry that spirit into your turn, and treat the stage as though it's your shared spot for playing a group game--like Pictionary or whatever.

You can search all kinds of pointers for speaking, but my best results have come from generating my own enthusiasm for sharing rather than working myself up to hate the experience. Change your own mental voice about it this whole week, and shift your critical voice to one of an inspiring coach. Practice saying to yourself, "I've researched this terrific topic, and I can't wait to share all the stuff I've learned about it with the people I've come to know in my group!" Then speak to THEM, not some judge and jury you've made up in your head.

I've practiced some of my presentations under the influence of a screwdriver to loosen up and have some fun with it. I've laughed at myself while practicing on friends and family, even over the phone or Skype. I've turned the experience into less of a 'big deal' and more of a plain old requirement for graduating, and once I made the decision to enjoy working on 'the thing,' the more I actually thrived while doing so.

Head high, you can do this, and you can make the experience into whatever you want--right down to sharing laughter over any flubs you make at the time, then just roll your eyes, correct yourself, and happily move forward.

CongrAts on your milestone!

Originally Posted by successthis
    To the people referring me "man" I am awoman on my early twenties, but thats ok, thats not the point. Thanks they are really helpful, your advices. Im not sure meditation will hep in one week but thanks to all of you tho.
    meditation will help in one week. A good youtube is 'the enthusiastic buddhist' by an Australian woman. Watch her mindfulness meditation tube, its 20 minutes long. meditate 20 minutes every day, and 20 minutes just before yout presentation. i meditat 20 minutes before i face off with my stressful boss

Originally Posted by trojan
    meditation will help in one week. A good youtube is 'the enthusiastic buddhist' by an Australian woman. Watch her mindfulness meditation tube, its 20 minutes long. meditate 20 minutes every day, and 20 minutes just before yout presentation. i meditat 20 minutes before i face off with my stressful boss
    Thanks so much! I appreciate your opinions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice